< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: ENPS Steel Challenge Match, August 18th  (Read 1717 times)

Offline Mudnrox

• Powder Benefactor
ENPS Steel Challenge Match, August 18th
« on: August 08, 2013, 08:29:32 PM »
The next Steel Challenge match is coming up Sunday August 18th.
The match will have six stages.

Setup and registration starts at 7:15 am.
Registration closes by 8:40 am (please help out and register before then).
8:40 am safety briefing and shooter's meeting at 9:00 am.

Offline Mudnrox

• Powder Benefactor
Re: ENPS Steel Challenge Match, August 18th
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 07:14:15 PM »
Steel Challenge match is this Sunday, August 18th.

Here is more information on steel challenge http://www.easternnebraskapracticalshooters.com/docs/steel-rules/steel.htm

Offline AFLt

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 09:19:12 PM »
couldnt have asked for anything better than steel challenge on my bday!

Def gonna be there

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 10:21:09 PM »
Darn.  I have family visiting that day.  Although my mom & dad really just come to see their granddaughter and I could probably slip out without being noticed.....

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 06:54:32 PM »
Little disappointed in you folks today----only 65 people came out on this beautiful day to shoot the Steel Challenge match!  I was kinda hoping we'd break 80 today.

:)

It was a good time.  (Though several of us had horribly unfortunate issues worthy of pity---i.e., we couldn't hit anything although we missed really fast.)

Scores have been calculated, and they'll be posted relatively soon.  (We had the fun of typing in 1950 individual scores today after the match.  That was fun...)

I'll post again when the scores show up on the website.  It was good seeing everyone out there---lots of new people today, which is always a good thing. 

(Two weeks:  USPSA match!  Another two weeks after that, a Multigun match.  Get 'em on your calendar!)
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 08:09:42 PM »
As one of the 65, I'm glad I made the drive.  Even though I've never seen plates move so fast, I still had fun.
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 08:30:22 PM »
As one of the 65, I'm glad I made the drive.  Even though I've never seen plates move so fast, I still had fun.

Nice seeing you there.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 08:50:27 PM »
Scores are up!

http://www.easternnebraskapracticalshooters.com/2013/2013.htm

(Those plates do duck pretty quickly sometimes, don't they?)

Offline AFLt

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 09:04:56 PM »
good weather

great shooting  ;D

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 07:04:05 AM »
Nice seeing you there.

Fly

Likewise.  I wish ENGC was a bit closer though. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 07:06:22 AM »
Scores are up!

http://www.easternnebraskapracticalshooters.com/2013/2013.htm

(Those plates do duck pretty quickly sometimes, don't they?)

The earth's magnetic field was very unstable yesterday, particularly when I was squeezing the trigger.  The sights would move one way and the targets would move another.  Obviously non-magnetic guns are the answer.  :)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 01:40:13 PM »
I am still in the phase of my shooting skills where I am surprised when I hit the target.  Other than my misses adding time, it seems that I add several tenths of a second after pulling the trigger while I wait for the ding to register in my head, the rusty cogged wheels in my brain to spool up, and then finally thinking "I shot it?! Oh...I guess I did.  I should move to the next target now".

Best quote of the match (at least on my squad) was when I shot the "Stop" plate before I engaged two targets.  The RO told me to stop, and advised that I shot the stop plate.  I told him I realized that I shot at it, but was hoping it was a miss.  He said "You hit it, but not very well".  So not only did I screw up, I did it poorly.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 10:39:12 AM »
Several of us did that brilliant thing of shooting the stop plate before shooting other plates and then going back and shooting the other plates.  (Thus still getting the miss, since once the stop plate is shot you are finished, but also getting the extra time for the extra shot because the time stops when you stop shooting, not merely when you hit the stop plate.)

[sigh] 

I only did it once this match, but boy did it make a difference.  +3 seconds for the miss (on a 4-second run) and + the extra time for the extra shot at the end.  I think my run there ended up at around 8 seconds for a run that should have been 4 seconds.

I'm so glad we throw out the worst run...

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 08:14:18 AM »
Several of us did that brilliant thing of shooting the stop plate before shooting other plates and then going back and shooting the other plates.  (Thus still getting the miss, since once the stop plate is shot you are finished, but also getting the extra time for the extra shot because the time stops when you stop shooting, not merely when you hit the stop plate.)

[sigh] 

I only did it once this match, but boy did it make a difference.  +3 seconds for the miss (on a 4-second run) and + the extra time for the extra shot at the end.  I think my run there ended up at around 8 seconds for a run that should have been 4 seconds.

I'm so glad we throw out the worst run...

I was worried I would shoot a stop plate early but never once did.  Too bad they look just like the other plates.