< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Colorado magazine capacity  (Read 1168 times)

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member
Colorado magazine capacity
« on: August 12, 2013, 08:16:48 PM »
Heading to the Denver area over Labor Day weekend and just wanted to make sure I am interpreting their laws correctly that the new magazine capacity is limited to 15 rounds?  For some reason I thought it was lower than that.  Can anyone confirm for sure? 

Thanks

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Colorado magazine capacity
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 08:26:09 PM »
This is just my opinion, not legal advice IANAL

I am relatively certain that 15 is correct, but there is the totally ambiguous "can be readily converted to hold more than 15 rounds" crap and then there is the clause  that  previously owned and continuously held magazines are exempted, yet I know of no way to prove either requirement if you are forced to do so by LE, and would not advise possessing magazines over 10-12 rounds in Denver
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 08:34:43 PM »
Here is an interesting article about the provision I mentioned above

http://watchdog.org/94855/colorado-gun-magazine-bans-clarified-lifted/
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 10:10:43 PM »
This is just my opinion, not legal advice IANAL

I am relatively certain that 15 is correct, but there is the totally ambiguous "can be readily converted to hold more than 15 rounds" crap and then there is the clause  that  previously owned and continuously held magazines are exempted, yet I know of no way to prove either requirement if you are forced to do so by LE, and would not advise possessing magazines over 10-12 rounds in Denver

I believe that's the basis of one of the legal challenges active right now - any magazine with a detachable base plate can be easily extended, so this effectively bans all mags.

Offline ProtoPatriot

• Post approval required
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 10:14:48 PM »
This is 3rd party information, nothing concrete...

But according to some people claiming to be from the Denver area, they said 10 rounds.

However, according to HandgunLaw (http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/NoHiCapChemSpray.pdf) it is 15 rounds.
The USA is a Republic...
This is a Democracy...
This is not the USA...

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 04:42:06 PM »
Man this is a bigger mess than I thought.  Can’t take my main M&P9 so I figured I could take the G23.  If it comes down to 10 rounds my XDS is the only reasonable pistol I have to CCW that would fit those requirements and the damn thing for some reason won’t fit in my Dale Fricke Archangel made for the full size M&P9 but the G23 will.  ha

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 06:21:15 PM »
Called a indoor range in Denver and they said indeed there is a 10 round mag limit in Denver.  :angry: Off to the Bullet Hole tomorrow to buy a new Archangel.