< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Panic coming to an end?  (Read 13021 times)

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
Re: Panic coming to an end?
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2013, 10:13:10 PM »
After the huge rise in costs from 2007 to 2010, both from inflation and an anti-gunner in the White House, I was relieved when prices went back down from 2010 to 2012, even better than 2008 prices in some cases. That was at least true for a lot of things. One thing right now that I think will have a big impact on prices is whether or not the feds really curtail ammo importation and what affect the small arms treaty will have in the international ammo market. The Russian ammo may be pretty cheap, but they have stuff that goes bang fairly reliably. The domestic manufacturers will have to stay honest with their prices a little more because of the imported ammo cheap cost, availability, and the improved lines that go bang a little better than their dirty stuff.

The end is near and you're already seeing 2012 prices on a few things. Those are mostly sales prices now compared to retail prices of 2012, but that's a really good sign. How about all of those $2,000 DPMS AR's out there :)
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline ProtoPatriot

• Post approval required
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2013, 02:08:26 PM »
Been in the New England area for the last week and stopped by a few shops...

Some stores had nothing, no ammo or firearms...some had only magazines, and a couple had a very small selection. Prices were rather inflated and such...this is still occurring even with the ridiculous things they do up here.

I visited shops both near the cities (like Boston) as well as out in the country side.

So, I would say it varies greatly by the area.
The USA is a Republic...
This is a Democracy...
This is not the USA...

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2013, 08:38:13 AM »
I'm just glad I learned my lesson on the last panic and had a good supply of reloading components stashed away.  I'll admit I still bought a few things at somewhat inflated prices but for the most part I was in good shape.

Now I just need to get around to swaging my own jacketed bullets....

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2013, 09:59:41 AM »
I'm just glad I learned my lesson on the last panic and had a good supply of reloading components stashed away.  I'll admit I still bought a few things at somewhat inflated prices but for the most part I was in good shape.

Now I just need to get around to swaging my own jacketed bullets....

Funny thing...around May of this year I was getting nervous because I thought I was getting low on the factory ammo I had purchased in various lots and it didn't seem like I would ever be able to find the reloading equipment I planned to buy.  Now that I have my reloading room set up, I have all the ammo rounded up and in the same location.  Turns out I have over 1,200 rounds of factory 9mm left along with a reasonable store of 45ACP and 5.56.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2013, 10:05:54 AM »
bkoenig quote: 
had a good supply of reloading components stashed away.

OnTheFly quote:   
Turns out I have over 1,200 rounds of factory 9mm left along with a reasonable store of 45ACP and 5.56.
=========================================

Attention, Fellow Forum Members:

Aha!!   See above postings.  Turns out, Fly and bkoenig are the self-confessed Hoarders who caused it all.

BTW:   Saw posted pictures of Fly's Reloading Room.   Way, way, way too neat for a Serious Reloader.   Bet there are no primers and powder dust on the floor, either.

sfg
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 10:17:54 AM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2013, 10:08:25 AM »
Attention, Forum Members:

Aha!!   Turns out, Fly and bkoenig are the self-confessed Hoarders who caused it all.

sfg

Having a mere 1200 rounds of 9mm factory ammo does not make one a Hoarder...   ;)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2013, 10:16:54 AM »
Having a mere 1200 rounds of 9mm factory ammo does not make one a Hoarder..

Got Me on That One.

Every time I see a news story where the Shocked Reporter asserts, "...and he had thousands of rounds of ammunition stored away....", I think, "Yep---sounds about right to me."

And---"Hey....I know That Guy."

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2013, 10:54:35 AM »
Got Me on That One.

Every time I see a news story where the Shocked Reporter asserts, "...and he had thousands of rounds of ammunition stored away....", I think, "Yep---sounds about right to me."

And---"Hey....I know That Guy."

sfg

I know right?! That is just one more items on the list stupid things that the media says.

Fly

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2013, 12:26:54 PM »
Two bricks of .22 and a couple rusty Marlin 60's are "thousands of rounds of ammunition and an arsenal of semiautomatic assault weapons" to the media.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2013, 12:41:36 PM »
I had a non-gun owner (not necessarily anti-gun) ask me why do you need so much ammo?  I told him that you end up buying it when you find it on sale and for the time periods (such as when he asked me the question) that the gun owner community is in a stupid panic/frenzy over potential political concerns.

But, I told him the REAL reason I have so much ammo is because you don't know when the zombie apocalypse will come.  Most people talk about it like it would be a bad thing, but I CAN'T WAIT.

I don't know if I made him understand or maybe he thinks I'm just a kook.  Though he will be sorry when the dead walk.

Fly
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 11:48:22 PM by OnTheFly »

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2013, 02:42:11 PM »
Two bricks of .22 and a couple rusty Marlin 60's are "thousands of rounds of ammunition and an arsenal of semiautomatic assault weapons" to the media.

I guess that I am an "arsenal".

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2013, 08:34:00 PM »
Well we might need to start using some soon ....

"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2013, 10:31:22 PM »
My in-laws think I have an arsenal and ask my wife why I have all this stuff... my measly 4 ammo cans and a safe that is smaller than my water heater don't exactly scream arsenal... on a somewhat related note, I told one of my close friends (who happens to be a hyper-liberal) that I recently got into knifemaking and she clamped up like she saw a thousand ghosts just at the idea that I was making "weapons" that could like "kill people"... she even used those words. I told her a knife is a tool and that I've carried one almost every day since I graduated high school and it has yet to be used to kill or hurt anybody but had come in handy literally hundreds if not thousands of times and she still couldn't understand...
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2013, 03:32:17 AM »
I can't stand to be in the same room with a liberal, let along befriend one.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2013, 08:38:27 AM »
I can't stand to be in the same room with a liberal, let along befriend one.

+1   I've unfriended all the libertards I know - online and IRL

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2013, 09:59:33 AM »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2013, 10:42:39 AM »
What ammo panic???  http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/AMM-023

At 80 cents/round for solid point .22 ammo, that's pretty steep plinking.    Must be misprint.
   But then, it is Colt ammo, not your Remington or Winchester stuff.

I wonder how many people placed an order thinking they were getting a full brick instead of a small box.

sfg

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2013, 12:02:29 PM »

But, I told him the REAL reason I have so much ammo is because you don't know when the zombie apocalypse will come.  Most people talk about it like it would be a bad thing, but I CAN'T WAIT.
[/img]

Fly

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2013, 12:44:16 PM »
At 80 cents/round for solid point .22 ammo, that's pretty steep plinking.    Must be misprint.
   But then, it is Colt ammo, not your Remington or Winchester stuff.
sfg

I read it as 1250 round box, which would be just over $0.03 per round. Good deal.
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2013, 12:46:09 PM »
I read it as 1250 round box, which would be just over $0.03 per round. Good deal.

1250 fps