< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Yet another Omaha Homicide  (Read 3871 times)

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: Yet another Omaha Homicide
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2013, 11:02:08 AM »
Assford has been all over the map on this one.  Backpeddling and changing his story.  During the hearing to modify "good time" this past session he claimed that early release wasn't happening.   I hope he gets a lot of heat over this.

Offline RedDot

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2013, 07:46:29 PM »
I hate the "logic" behind the whole Good Time law...as I heard Ashford explain it, you need to provide an incentive for following the rules in prison and gaining release.. Shouldn't BEING IN PRISON be the incentive to follow the rules and get out?  Maybe even an incentive to not commit acts that will put you there in the first place?

Unicameral will debate this severely but with Chambers already vowing filibuster/scathing debate/exposing the underlying racist inside every state senator, nothing will happen unless they can find a way to double existing sentencing guidelines to bring equilibrium back to the system. 

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2013, 10:21:03 PM »
CliffD and I were talking about good time laws at work and were thinking that it would be better if it was earned by an act of betterment versus just being there. You could earn good time by working a job at the prison, taking classes, learning life skills for when you get out, getting your GED or any number of things. Of course this was 2 minutes at the coffee machine chatter so we didn't get into any of the specifics. I'm sure that these things would cost money in prison, as in not self sustaining, but the benefits for the "rehabilitation" and transition to a functioning member of society would probably pay dividends for reducing repeat offenders and probation officer costs.
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2013, 08:53:41 AM »
I'm not usually one for Big Money Retribution Lawsuits, but I hope they take the state to the cleaners for this.
After reading the previous post- Maybe Bradley and Ernie should be also named in the suit!

http://www.jrn.com/kmtv/news/Kruger-Family-Files-Claim-Against-State--228878521.html
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2013, 10:08:10 AM »
I hope they take the state to the cleaners for this.

Remember the "state" is US !!!!   

We will eventually end up paying for the bill one way or another, either in subtle tax increases - reduction of services - job reductions....

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2013, 11:38:28 AM »
In the heat of pissoffedness, I too forget that.
But the system failed this family, AND the other families affected, AND society.  How do we bring them justice and closure without costing us in the end?
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2013, 12:03:44 PM »
How do we bring them justice and closure without costing us in the end?

#1 make certain it never happens again!

#2 vote the idiots out that made this possible.

There is nothing we can do to replace a wife and mother, but these two things would honor their memory.