< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: The risks of rescuing others  (Read 760 times)

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
The risks of rescuing others
« on: October 05, 2017, 08:39:24 AM »
http://www.wowt.com/content/news/Man-says-he-was-ticketed-after-getting-punched-defending-attack-victim-449159613.html

I wonder what really happened. Did he mishandle the situation or is it just Lincoln?

In general, it's unwise to involve yourself in domestic disputes. This thread from The High Road shows why: https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/another-example-of-why-intervening-in-a-domestic-is-a-bad-idea.826013/

Here is an article written by another man who intervened in a domestic abuse situation: https://www.personaldefensenetwork.com/article/lessons-learned-good-samaritan-attempt/. He also did an interview with Grant Cunningham: https://www.personaldefensenetwork.com/article/pdn-training-talk-april-6-2017/.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: The risks of rescuing others
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 09:49:08 AM »
As the original post and its articles clearly indicate, CHP/CCW Folks will rescue Third Party Victims at their (CHP/CCW Folks) own peril.

Very Dicey Situation.

Perhaps my take on the Third Party situation is callous, but here it is:
My CHP is for me and my immediate family.
Third Party Folks can and should get their own CHP/CCW.
And then carry,  even a little Beretta 21A.   Or a Jimenez JA-22, if a heavy rock is not laying around.

And if they choose not to do so,
I will be pleased to call 911 for Them.

If I can.

And maybe stand by as an after-the-fact witness.
If I have the time.

May sound callous.
Is definitely Practical Good Sense.

'Nuff About That.

sfg
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 09:59:07 AM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 09:52:49 AM »
On the first one, not really enough details.

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 08:16:50 PM »
On the first one, not really enough details.
I was hoping that more details had been published elsewhere or will be in the future.

I have Andrew Branca's Level 1 Law of Self Defense lectures on DVD. In nearly every segment, he warns that use of force exposes the user to a greater than zero risk of death or long imprisonment. At the end, he advises viewers to consider whether they would be able to say, at the end of a long prison term, that it was worth it. Branca estimates that, simply by sitting in the defendant's chair, one incurs a 10% to 20% probability of conviction regardless of the evidence.

One thing Branca doesn't address, since the class is general rather than state specific, is variations in prosecutorial policy. (It's why I asked about Lincoln.) Branca states that, in Massachusetts where he used to live, self defense shootings are always prosecuted. The expense and stress of a trial are intended as punishment even when there is no chance of a conviction.

Douglas County seems to go the other way. During the recent attempted armed robbery of Bizarre Tobacco in Omaha, the defenders made at least two significant mistakes. An armed employee left the store to confront the escaping robbers, killing one of them in an exchange of gunfire. Inside the store is a sign that reads, "Trespassers will be shot. Survivors will be shot again." Despite those errors, the shooting has been ruled justified and the surviving robbers will go on trial. One has been charged with felony murder because of the death his accomplice and the other (the getaway driver) with robbery.

There can be differences between overlapping jurisdictions. After an off duty security guard killed an armed robber at a pharmacy, the Douglas County attorney ruled the shooting justified while the Omaha city attorney made brief noises about charging the guard with illegally carrying a concealed weapon.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 08:14:14 AM »
I tend to agree with Ken, but I might find it difficult to stand by while women or children were in peril. 

For example, I know Ken's daughter. She's a sweet, lovely, well-raised young woman. If I saw someone beating her, I'd have a hard time not stepping in.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 09:00:34 AM »
For example, I know Ken's daughter. She's a sweet, lovely, well-raised young woman. If I saw someone beating her, I'd have a hard time not stepping in.

Helluva World when You can't even whip Your Own Kid's Butt without Other Folks Jumping In.

But--Her Momma would be pullin' on my Other Arm, Anyhow. 

Plus...My Daughter is now an NE CHP Instructor in Her Own Right, Armed and Dangerous.   She can protect herself, I guess.

Dang.........Thwarted on All Fronts.   Nuthin' Left to do but go Turn Off NFL Football.   [Just Kidding:  Wuzzent On in the First Place.]
BTW:  I heard that NFL Football was dying from........Colin Cancer.

FWIW,

sfg :D
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 09:04:43 AM »
And--FWIW--

If I should see a Sinister Somebody in Jack Boots runnin' down the street stompin' Cute Little Babies, Puppies, or FluffyKittens, then My Original Take on this 3rd Person Intervention is always subject to On-The-Spot Reconsideration.

Just Sayin'

:P

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 09:32:58 AM »
It looks like the liberal cult wants to make sure this old rule remains in force: No good deed shall go unpunished.  This and a thousand things like it remind us of another old rule: the best way for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.  And I guess the liberal cult is making sure that good men do nothing.

It would be poetic justice if those who perpetrate this injustice on us were victimized while good men were forced to do nothing but stand back and let it happen.  But in the real world that kind of justice is rare.
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 04:41:11 PM »

Helluva World when You can't even whip Your Own Kid's Butt without Other Folks Jumping In.

But--Her Momma would be pullin' on my Other Arm, Anyhow. 

Plus...My Daughter is now an NE CHP Instructor in Her Own Right, Armed and Dangerous.   She can protect herself, I guess.

Dang.........Thwarted on All Fronts.   Nuthin' Left to do but go Turn Off NFL Football.   [Just Kidding:  Wuzzent On in the First Place.]
BTW:  I heard that NFL Football was dying from........Colin Cancer.

FWIW,

sfg :D

Lol quote of the day "Colin cancer"