< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Something for our Unicameral  (Read 1389 times)

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
Something for our Unicameral
« on: July 19, 2011, 12:49:47 PM »
I direct your attention to yesterday's blog entry:

http://backwoodshome.com/blogs/MassadAyoob/

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Something for our Unicameral
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 04:11:32 PM »
I'm glad we passed that then... We did, didn't we?

Well, for faculty & staff on campus anyway.

There's no reason why every person on a school campus shouldn't be allowed to carry. Precisely to defend against those who would threaten them.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 04:40:17 PM »

I'm glad we passed that then... We did, didn't we?

Well, for faculty & staff on campus anyway.

There's no reason why every person on a school campus shouldn't be allowed to carry. Precisely to defend against those who would threaten them.

No - That bill never made it out of committee

We did get an amendment to another bill that allows off duty LEO to carry in schools though
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 04:46:07 PM »
Wow... I remember that happening much differently, Dan.

That's definitely unfortunate. I'm pretty annoyed now.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 07:14:41 PM »
LB618 was added as an amendment to LB512 and passed
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 12:24:31 PM »
A CHP holder can "carry" onto campus, but either must remain in their vehicle of lock up their firearm when exiting.

Offline Brian

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 02:54:18 PM »
Better think twice about having a firearm in your vehicle on campus as "Possession of dangerous weapons - concealed or unconcealed - on University property, on the worksite, in University vehicles, or in personal vehicles when on University property shall be a violation of UNL policy." you would have to deal with the UNL Police and I don't think they could care less what the state laws says.  I don't agree but just thought you might want to know UNL's policy.
http://bf.unl.edu/policies/police/Weapons.shtml

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 05:34:45 PM »
Better think twice about having a firearm in your vehicle on campus as "Possession of dangerous weapons - concealed or unconcealed - on University property, on the worksite, in University vehicles, or in personal vehicles when on University property shall be a violation of UNL policy." you would have to deal with the UNL Police and I don't think they could care less what the state laws says.  I don't agree but just thought you might want to know UNL's policy.
http://bf.unl.edu/policies/police/Weapons.shtml

UNL has a "policy", state law says something completely different about that subject.  UNL's "Policy" does not have the force of law.

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 07:38:13 PM »
Here's the story on concealed carry at the University of Nebraska [all campuses], according to
TITLE 272, NEBRASKA ADMINISTRATIVE CODE, CHAPTER 21

018 PROHIBITED PLACES AND PREMISES
018.01 A permit holder may carry a concealed handgun anywhere except:

018.01I School building, school grounds, school-owned vehicle, or school-sponsored activity or athletic event of any public, private, denominational, or parochial elementary, vocational, or secondary school, a private postsecondary career school as defined in Nebraska Revised Statutes ยง 85-1603, a community college, or a public or private college, junior college, or university;

Regardless of any UofN policy one way or the other, Nebraska state law prohibits concealed carry on campus.   Whenever I go to my office on campus, my guns most definitely do not go along.   And they are NOT locked or stored any where in my automobile.   They stay home.

sfg
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 07:43:22 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 08:52:39 PM »
You just left out one little part there SFG

018.06 Except as prohibited by federal law, a permit holder may carry a concealed handgun in a vehicle or on his or her person while riding in or on a vehicle into or onto any parking area which is open to the public and used by any of the places or premises listed in Section 018.01 above if the handgun is not removed from the vehicle and the handgun is properly secured in the vehicle before the permit holder exits the vehicle. To be properly secured in the vehicle, the handgun must be locked inside the glove box, trunk or other compartment of the vehicle, in a storage box attached to the vehicle, or in a securely attached hardened compartment if the vehicle is a motorcycle

So certain forms of CCW are legal on campus
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 09:05:07 PM »
It is legal to have a concealed handgun in you vehicle on campus per state law, but it is against UNL policy.  So when they fire you, is this a legal fight you can win?

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 09:38:22 PM »
I've wondered the same thing.  They are an entity that gets both state and federal funding, yet they have a policy that does not jive with federal law.  I sure wouldn't want to be the test case.  Lincoln Public Schools has a similar policy that is in the employee handbook that we have to sign. 
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 11:28:41 PM »
UNL has a "policy", state law says something completely different about that subject.  UNL's "Policy" does not have the force of law.

Ron

The university may not be able to prosecute you, but they can still ruin your life. If you are a student, it is important that you remain in "good standing" with the university. "Good standing" means you have paid all your bills and haven't violated university policy in a significant way. Something as simple as an unpaid campus parking ticket will cause you to lose your good standing until you pay it. You may never get back your good standing after a serious violation. I suspect getting caught with a prohibited weapon would qualify as such even if it wasn't illegal.

Losing your good standing has serious consequences. Even if you have an outstanding GPA and more than enough credit hours, you cannot graduate unless you are in good standing. You can't even start over at another school since the new one will not accept you unless you are in good standing at the previous one. Good standing may not matter for employees, but getting fired for cause won't do your prospects any good.

If bringing your gun to school, even if it remains locked in your car, is important, you would be better off finding a school that isn't anti-gun.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 08:24:51 AM »
Good first post Kendahl.  So if you are guest (neither student or employee) of the school, you could follow the letter of the law, but a student or employee is burdened by this school rule.  Seems bass ackwards.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 09:03:18 AM »
As Kendahl points out this is problematic and his description is completely accurate for employer's.  The fun question comes in; can a "State" department or institution instill rules or regulations that are in conflict with the law?  I agree that it happening would be very detrimental to the individual that followed the "law."  It would make an interesting legal case over the dismissal, of a student or employee, but I would not want to have my life put into limbo for years while it was fought over in court.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 11:43:56 AM »
Is there a legal body that could answer these questions?  I suppose this is small potatoes for the NRA, but it would be nice to be able to legally store my firearm in my vehicle so I don't have to drive an extra 20 minutes to get my gun before going to the range in town.  Whatever, it's just a convenience thing right now, but I would like to know if LPS can make a rule for employees that doesn't seem to be in line with federal law.
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 12:03:00 PM »
Is there a legal body that could answer these questions?  I suppose this is small potatoes for the NRA, but it would be nice to be able to legally store my firearm in my vehicle so I don't have to drive an extra 20 minutes to get my gun before going to the range in town.  Whatever, it's just a convenience thing right now, but I would like to know if LPS can make a rule for employees that doesn't seem to be in line with federal law.

The NRA was complicit in establishing the Universities as banned places
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2011, 12:53:41 PM »
In general, government agencies, like the UofN can impose restrictions as conditions of employment just like a private employee.  They may also place the restrictions on their students.  A violation of the policy is not a violation of any law, but can expose the student or employee to disciplinary action by the University.

As Dan pointed out, state law does allow any person to carry in their vehicle onto campus with a permit without being guilty of a crime.  However, if you are a student or employee, you are in violation of the policy.

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2011, 05:44:46 PM »
Of course I was speaking from my own personal perspective.  I am not a student at UNL so carrying in my vehicle would have no consequence for me.  Getting out and walking around campus with a concealed firearm would of course be a different concern. 

I work for the Feds and am not allowed to carry while on its property, but that does not mean that I cannot leave it in my car as I perform my duties.  Its a nice little fine point in our states law that works in my favor.  :)

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX