< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: How the Recent Debt Ceiling Law Affects Gun Owners  (Read 994 times)

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
How the Recent Debt Ceiling Law Affects Gun Owners
« on: August 05, 2011, 05:01:35 PM »
How the Recent Debt Ceiling Law Affects Gun Owners   

Friday, 05 August 2011 11:26       
Well, the hot debate which dominated the nation for several weeks has finally simmered down.  The debt ceiling deal is now law, and both sides of the political aisle are arguing over who won and who lost.

But one thing you won’t hear about -- in fact, we may not fully know the answer for several months -- is how much gun owners lost in this recent deal.

To quote Kentucky Senator Rand Paul from earlier this week:
"The Super Committee [created by the new law] limits the constitutional check of the filibuster by expediting passage of bills with a simple majority.  The Super Committee is not precluded from any issue [including gun control], therefore the filibuster could be rendered moot."

Get that?  The law raising the debt ceiling creates a Super Committee (in other words, a Super Congress) which will give its recommendations for balancing the budget. 

This Super Congress can include ANYTHING in its legislation, including gun control.
And none of it can be filibustered or amended!!

Well, you might think, the Super Congress’ recommendations still have to be voted on by each house of Congress.  Surely, we can find enough congressmen to shoot down any anti-gun recommendations.

Maybe, maybe not ... because here’s the problem.  Whatever this super-committee reports in November, including gun control, will HAVE to be passed -- or the Pentagon loses a total of $800 billion (effectively shutting it down).

How many pro-gun congressmen will feel they have to “hold their noses” and vote for the Super Congress’ legislation to prevent a total of $800 billion from being cut from the Department of Defense?

The key will be who gets appointed to this Super Committee.  Senator Harry Reid and Rep. Nancy Pelosi will pick six members -- as will House Speaker John Boehner and Senator Mitch McConnell, for a total of 12 members.

But if the six Pelosi/Reid Democrats can cower a single Republican into going along with their radical agenda -– using the threat of a massive defense cut totaling hundreds of billions of dollars -– then we could be stuck with additional gun control.
We already know that the six Pelosi/Reid Democrats are going to vote in lockstep.

What if the only Republican vote they need is a RINO like John McCain or Lamar Alexander?

The question answers itself.

By the way, this debt ceiling deal was not a compromise.  A real compromise would have repealed the anti-gun ObamaCare law which (in addition to being a trillion dollar boondoggle) will compile everyone’s health-related medical records into a massive computer database. 

This centralized information could allow the FBI to determine whether any American has a medical condition justifying a gun ban.

Please check and see how your Representative and Senators voted, and make a point to speak to them during the summer recess.

ACTION:  Your representative and senators will be holding town hall meetings in August.  Attend them.  Speak at them.
Tell your representative and senators, politely but firmly, that you are disgusted by Congress’ debt limit “compromise.”

TALKING POINTS:

1. There is NOTHING in the debt ceiling deal which prevents the Super Committee from including other issues like gun control in its legislation.  (The Super Committee has virtually unlimited authority under subparagraph 401(b)(3)(A)(i).)

2. Whatever the Super Committee puts in the bill is unamendable and non-filibusterable.  In other words, the House and Senate must conduct an up-or-down vote on the Super Committee’s legislation.

3. You have put a gun to the head of every congressman by forcing them to choose between devastating Defense Department cuts ($800 billion in total) or blindly adopting the Super Committee’s legislation, which could include gun control, tax increases, etc.

4. This debt ceiling deal was not a compromise.  A real compromise would have repealed the anti-gun ObamaCare law which (in addition to being a trillion dollar boondoggle) will compile everyone’s health-related medical records into a massive computer database.  This centralized information could allow the FBI to determine whether any American has a medical condition justifying a gun ban.

5. IF YOUR REP. OR SENATOR VOTED “YES” ON THE DEBT CEILING, THEN ASK HIM THIS:  Considering the fact that two-thirds of the American people support a “cut, cap and balance” approach, why would you vote for a debt ceiling bill that could, ultimately, strap me with additional gun control proposals?
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
Re: How the Recent Debt Ceiling Law Affects Gun Owners
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 08:24:17 AM »
See....Ben Nelson was right in not voting for this compromise.  I will go vote for him....I will go vote for him....I will go vote for him... Drink more Kool Aid....Drink more Kool Aid.....(For those of you in Rio Linda, I'm being sarcastic)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 09:50:26 AM »
This is from GOA, right?  I dunno, this seems like a lot of "OMG, they could maybe just might definitely are going to introduce an anti-gun bill!  Panic time!"  As far as I know, the current debt negotiations have nothing to do with guns.

GOA seems to have a problem with crying that the sky is falling.  Sometimes I think they need to loosen up their tinfoil.

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 10:15:32 AM »
I don't think GOA is out of line here. This Super Congress is a dangerous new precedent. They are just pointing out the new possibilities our enemies have gained. And they aren't the only ones ringing the alarm bells.

Also, you obviously didn't pay attention to the entire brief. Just because this was part of the debt deal doesn't mean that its limited to financial issues. The debt deal created this commission and gave it limitless authority. So its not going to just make financial suggestions, its going to be able to make suggestions regarding any issue.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 10:18:13 AM by DanClrk51 »

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 11:27:42 AM »
Dan, I'm aware that this super committee has the ability to propose legislation not related to the debt deal.  I'm not saying it's impossible that they could propose gun control legislation - I'm just saying GOA has a track record of putting out alerts that take issues way out of context.  There currently is nothing proposed that would affect gun owners in any way.  This alert makes it sound like the wolves are at the door.

I think it's worth keeping an eye on, but I also don't think we do ourselves any good by getting worked up over issues that don't exist.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 05:30:28 PM »
"The Super Committee limits the constitutional check of the filibuster by expediting passage of bills with a simple majority.  The Super Committee is not precluded from any issue [including gun control], therefore the filibuster could be rendered moot."

If you think the Democrats won't use this to try and move gun control bills, you have not been paying attention.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 07:36:43 PM »
If you think the Democrats won't use this to try and move gun control bills, you have not been paying attention.

I have no doubt that such a tactic will eventually occur to someone on the left end of the field, but we have some pretty good folks on the right as well.  And with the recient track record of wins from the right I suspect that if this "Super Congress" attempts anything in that direction that the NRA, the GOA, the NFOA and every other "A" out there will scream until the planet shatters.  No, at the moment I am not concerned, but I cant speak for how I will feel tomorrow.

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 08:39:39 PM »
Do they really think we will just comply? I would bet they would be more concerned with where they were going to safely hide if they did attempt something like that. Right now they are messing with a pretty upset monster in the people they have betrayed.