< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: So what do you think he said?  (Read 1499 times)

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: So what do you think he said?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 09:50:11 PM »
The page you linked no longer exists.

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 01:05:51 AM »
Left wing, or left of me - either way he is right. IMO the NRA stands "Negotiating Rights Away". Their quid pro quo  games they play with the left have cost up plenty over the years. Sadly, I am forced to be a NRA member so I can keep my range membership.

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 03:23:39 PM »
00Buck:

Why do you need a range membership?  If you're so far to the right of the NRA, you should believe that you can carry and fire a gun anywhere and any time you want to?

I don't agree with the NRA on everything, but to purchase a membership while feeling so critical of them seems quite hypocritical to me.

I don't mean this as a personal attack, but more as a prod for you to think about what you're saying.  If I recall correctly, the NRA supported our efforts in passing the Shooting Range Protection Act here in Nebraska a while back.  Without them, you might not have been forced to join, because you may not have had a shooting range available.
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 05:36:29 PM »
00Buck:

Why do you need a range membership?  If you're so far to the right of the NRA, you should believe that you can carry and fire a gun anywhere and any time you want to?

I don't agree with the NRA on everything, but to purchase a membership while feeling so critical of them seems quite hypocritical to me.

I don't mean this as a personal attack, but more as a prod for you to think about what you're saying.  If I recall correctly, the NRA supported our efforts in passing the Shooting Range Protection Act here in Nebraska a while back.  Without them, you might not have been forced to join, because you may not have had a shooting range available.

The NRA also supported Ashfords quest to implement an "Assault Weapons Ban" here in Nebraska.    :o

I am a Life Member in the NRA, but their track record has quite a few instances of doing harm to the RKBA.  I will continue to support the NRA, but damn... they do some stupid stuff to appease the FUDDs sometimes.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 03:57:33 PM »
Unfortunately, my ears are both plugged up ever since I flew to Virginia earlier this month.  Given that, and the fact that the audio I got from the clip was pretty crappy (at least it sounded crappy to me), I have no idea what was said.  From what I've heard and read, Bruning is pro 2A, and regardless of what he actually said, I doubt he intended to criticize the NRA so much as to emphasize his beliefs in 2A rights.

I didn't know anything about the NRA supporting Ashford's assault weapons ban, so I can't really comment on that except to say that I'm surprised the NRA would support something like that.  I'm guessing there is more involved here than I know.  I will say, that for many gun owners (or anyone who believes in the right to keep and bear arms), it's not a question of demanding complete freedom regarding the issue, but more in securing what is considered possible in the face of anti-gun opposition.

Yes, I'm well aware that many here, are the "cold dead finger" types who adamantly deny that government has any right to infringe upon their own rights.  They refuse to compromise their principles, and I don't fault them for that.  In reality though, most of them "capitulate" (no negative inferrence intended) and go along with whatever the law allows.  They submit, if you will, because the options are pretty bleak: to become a survivalist and hide out in the boondocks somewhere, or become an anarchist and fight to the death with our own police or military (sorry, you're going to lose).

I think we need a balance of both schools of thought: those who demand totally uninfringed gun rights, and those who are willing to compromise in order the get the best they can hope to achieve.  Having the former puts enough fear into the anti-gunners that it gives them an incentive to compromise their just-as-adamant beliefs that we should have no guns at all.  Having the latter gives us the numbers we need to get politicians to listen.

So, many pro-gunners resolve themselves to fighting for the best laws we can hope to get passed rather than wasting time arguing for something that is highly unlikely to ever become reality.
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 04:31:12 PM »
I don't mean this as a personal attack, but more as a prod for you to think about what you're saying.

Not taken as an attack. However, I've given this plenty of thought over the years and I still see the NRA as worthless organization. They did NOTHING in the state for concealed carry. That was 100% home grown (and a huge part of why NFOA was formed). I really don't like that I am forced to join them to fire my weapons at a very nice place to do so. I can certainly go elsewhere but it is a very nice range.
  Did you know that the NRA will not endorse the NFOA because we are not FORCED to belong to the NRA as a prerequisite to join here? I am glad the the NFOA BOD has not taken that dirty disgusting road. There are several other organizations that I belong to of my own free will that are more in line with my vision of 2A. If my range dropped the NRA requirement (which I will continually fight for) I would drop the NRA in a heartbeat.

But that's just my opinion. Yours may vary,

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 10:32:08 AM »
You certainly have a right to your opinion.  As I said, I don't agree with everything the NRA does.  In fact, I somewhat resent the tactics they use to acquire new memberships and to sell merchandise in order to raise more money.  They've become somewhat of a pain in the ass lately with all the emails and surveys and requests for donatations.  To call them worthless, however, is a bit extreme in my opinion.  Without the presence of the NRA, I fear our 2A rights might well have been lost, or severely infringed much more than they are currently.  Yes, there are other groups that do a lot in the way of promoting good legislation and electing gun-friendly candidates, and I'm glad they exist.  On a national level, though, I think it is hard to argue that the NRA is not the most influential group in regards to defending our second amendment.  They also promote gun ownership and training and shooting sports of all kinds, which is worthwhile in and of itself.

Again, I respect your opinion, and I can understand your desire to have access to a good shooting range.  Good luck on getting your club rules changed to eliminate the NRA membership requirement.  Why do you suppose they do that?  Is there some financial or other advantage to the club from it?

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 11:15:21 AM »
I am pretty sure that NRA range insurance requires that all members join NRA for the lowest premiums. That is how many clubs insure their facilities because it saves them money.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 02:02:52 PM »
Yes the NRA has required Eastern Nebraska Gun Club into extorting all club members into a NRA membership in order to provide NRA insurance for a discounted rate to the range.

NFOA was launched officially right after I personally sat in the public hearing for Ashfords AWB bill and the NRA stood up and testified in the NEUTRAL capacity on it. I was completely blown away.

The NRA has done many good things nationally, but yes they have not been present representing their membership here in Nebraska

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 04:05:40 PM »
Yes the NRA has required Eastern Nebraska Gun Club into extorting all club members into a NRA membership in order to provide NRA insurance for a discounted rate to the range.

NFOA was launched officially right after I personally sat in the public hearing for Ashfords AWB bill and the NRA stood up and testified in the NEUTRAL capacity on it. I was completely blown away.

The NRA has done many good things nationally, but yes they have not been present representing their membership here in Nebraska

That is a fair assessment. The NRA has a done a lot of good things and stopped a lot of bad things from happening....but has failed many, many times as well. It is a 'big-tent' organization and makes some decisions based on political calculations rather then holding a zero compromise policy. I have (and will continue to) support the NRA- but understand it's limitations and short-comings.....kind of like my wife does with me.

Also, thanks to all of you who founded and maintain the NFOA.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 06:21:34 PM »
Another negative aspect with the NRA is the fact that pretty much any large organization tends to lose the focus upon which it was established, and instead, focuses on maintaining and/or expanding the organization itself.  There are many people employed by the NRA and other large organizations.  After awhile, job security tends to factor in whether anyone admits to it or not.

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 09:32:04 AM »
Another negative aspect with the NRA is the fact that pretty much any large organization tends to lose the focus upon which it was established, and instead, focuses on maintaining and/or expanding the organization itself.   

Exactly.  The institution itself becomes the Raison d'ĂȘtre. 

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 05:24:30 PM »
It's not unusual for organizations with group liability policies to require membership if you want the insurance. Just two examples are the American Quarter Horse Association and the Sports Car Club of America.

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 03:59:50 PM »
Can't really blame the NRA for requiring membership if their providing something of value in return.  The gun club might be another story, but I assume it's a choice supported by the membership, or at least the elected leadership.