< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Ruger's on a roll...  (Read 1300 times)

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
Ruger's on a roll...
« on: January 03, 2012, 04:56:00 PM »
Ruger is definitely on a roll the last couple of years, introducing many new models along with changes and enhancements to existing models.  Accessories continue to be added as well.  Here's a sampling from Ruger's news releases websites:

An American Legend is Born
January 02, 2012

Ruger Introduces New SR22 Pistol
January 02, 2012

Ruger Introduces the LCR in .22 LR
December 16, 2011

Ruger Introduces .357 Magnum SP101 with 4.2" barrel
December 07, 2011

Ruger Introduces Polymer Magazines for the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle
November 15, 2011

Ruger Introduces New Rimfire Version of SP101
September 15, 2011

Ruger Expands Pistol Offerings with Addition of the SR40c
June 29, 2011

Ruger Introduces The 77/357
June 22, 2011

Ruger Introduces The Single-Ten
June 15, 2011

Ruger Introduces 25-Round Magazine for Ruger 10/22
April 29, 2011

Sturm, Ruger Introduces The Ruger SR-556E, A Value-Priced "Essential" Two-Stage Piston Driven Carbine with a Lightweight, Adaptable Handguard
April 29, 2011

Ruger Introduces All American-Made SR1911 Pistol
April 18, 2011

Ruger Introduces 22/45 Pistols with Threaded Barrels
January 20, 2011

Ruger Introduces LC9 Lightweight Compact 9mm Pistol
January 03, 2011

Ruger Introduces New Platform in Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle
December 29, 2010

It seems like they are introducing new firearms so fast and making model changes in the existing line, they are hard pressed to meet demand.  The Gunsite Scout was announced a year ago and is still hard to find, at least in some areas.  The SR1911 is on waiting lists everywhere.   One day a while back I was in Cabelas and they'd just received a Single-Ten and put it out and the first guy to see it, took it.  The clerk said they had been on order for over three months and they just got the one.

While I'm not a Ruger-holic, they have several firearms that appeal to me, but it's frustrating waiting for the pipeline to get filled and prices stabilized. 

Is Ruger cranking out new offerings so fast it affects existing production?  Or is limiting initial supplies a ploy to make impatient buyers pay full retail (or more).

Your thoughts?

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Re: Ruger's on a roll...
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 05:08:48 PM »
My hopes are that they are concentrating on quality.  Ruger for the most part build good firearms, I would hate for them to get in a hurry and start screwin em up.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 06:26:05 PM »
Eh, not too keen on the looks of that new rifle. 

Looks cheaply made... I'm guessing that the Savage rifles are their target with this one.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 07:08:22 PM »
That new American rifle seems like a good hunting rifle. Not the prettiest thing so who cares if it gets dragged through the woods, very lightweight, and the "accutrigger" is something that feels nice on Savages at least. Might have found a reason to buy myself a .243...

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 08:44:14 AM »
They are doing everything at once ....... jacks of all trades are usually masters of none.

I would be happier if they would make enough of the guns I like so that I could see them before buying them...... the GSR was out near a year before I saw one...... I had the the coin for nigh a year, and ended up settling for a used Frontier (which I really like better for it's ntended purpose).

Saved mee 300 bucks, though, and I bopught 2 milsurps with the savings ......

Also, that new SR22 looks suspiciously like a P22 ..... right down to the aluminum slide .......  That mean Ruger's "Built like a Tank" rep is changing to "Built like a Bradley"?

....Actually, I think the SR22 is a cross between a P22 and a Hi-Point .....
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 09:22:14 AM »

I would be happier if they would make enough of the guns I like so that I could see them before buying them...... 

Therein lies the problem for me.  I've seen one SR1911 (at the Fonner Park GI gunshow) and it had a big DO NOT TOUCH sign on it.   From the time of the announcement of a new model to general availability seems to run close to a couple of years.

Offline Ghost

• Steel Benefactor
  • NRA Life Member - 1972
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 01:13:32 PM »
Somebody at Ruger probably took Marketing Principles 202 in college.  They like to have a pent up demand for their new products before they make them available to everyone.
A well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free State......George Mason

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 05:32:27 PM »
That SR-22 Pistol tickles my fancy. Just barely bigger than the P22 that seems just a tiny bit too small for me. I would for sure buy one if I knew I could get a threaded barrel for it without breaking the bank. Dang Ruger and their attempt at selling 1 million guns by the next NRA meeting, cranking out new stuff that is too dang tempting.

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 09:10:33 AM »
I really want one of the SR1911s.  I'll wait for the street price to come down though.