< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: It Can Happen That Fast  (Read 1819 times)

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
It Can Happen That Fast
« on: March 03, 2013, 07:13:57 AM »
So, I'm down here in Memphis (TN, not NE) for the Rangemaster Tactical Conference.  (There's that word again.  ::) )  Last night as I was getting out of the car in the motel parking lot, a delapidated old pickup came zooming out of the darkness from behind a utility shed in the next lot over and parked beside my car.   Didn't know he was there until I saw headlights after I was out of my vehicle.  No lights or anything over that way when I slowly cruised through the lot, looking around before I parked. 

I could only see one occupant after he stopped his truck.  No one else followed him.   

I went to the other side of my car, putting it between me and him, and just waited to see what he was up to.   I just stood there acting nonchalant in a cold, dark Memphis night like I had nothing better to do.  :)

Fortunately, he paid me no mind and just kept walking the other way.

After listening to Tom Givens and others recite Memphis' crime stats and other gruesome things all day long, I don't think I over reacted at all. :)

I shoulda grabbed my light out of my pocket and been ready to use it, but I didn't want to drop my bag of tacos.  :)
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline zofoman

• NFOA Full Member
Re: It Can Happen That Fast
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 07:46:45 AM »
Good that it worked out ok for you....except that the tacos may have cooled a bit.   

When one is travelling and cannot carry, there are other things one may want to consider having on hand.....like your flashlight, small knife or tactical pen for last resort for example.  Smith&Wesson makes a nice tactical pen (a couple variations) for defense and as an added bonus, they write well.  Can take the pen on the plane with you only if sufficiently packed in a folder/briefcase to where it appears to be just another pen via x-ray...just don't dare be wearing it in your pocket going through security...TSA is on to the variety of tactical pens out there and will confiscate.
"What, me worry?"  ~ Alfred E. Neuman

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 08:15:11 AM »
Lorimor...hope you are enjoying the conference.  A few us went back when they had it in Tulsa (which in my opinion was a better venue, but it's Tom's business and he's a good guy and he'll have it where he wants it). 
Indeed, Memphis is almost a post-class "practical exercise"......

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 08:51:14 AM »
a nice tactical pen

So, what's the technique for using it, and on what body part?

EDIT:  Never mind.  I youtube'd it.   It would no doubt hurt, especially to the head.  If it punctured the Carotid Artery it could be lethal.   Put 100 mgs of Succinylcholine Chloride in a hole near the tip and a single puncture can stop an assailant in his tracks, or even be lethal.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 09:21:32 AM by GreyGeek »

Offline zofoman

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 09:24:42 AM »
So, what's the technique for using it, and on what body part?

EDIT:  Never mind.  I youtube'd it.   It would no doubt hurt, especially to the head.  If it punctured the Carotid Artery it could be lethal.   Put 100 mgs of Succinylcholine Chloride in a hole near the tip and a single puncture can be lethal.
Yeah, they can serve well for a last ditch effort....as can a regular pen or other similar shaped object...except, the tactical pens are more stout billet/hardened aluminum where they won't break up as easily as your run of the mill Bic.    "100 mgs of Succinylcholine Chloride"....do they sell that over the counter at CVS?     I enjoy your posts Grey...they make me smile.   :)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 12:15:30 PM »
I wonder if that tactical pen can be carried on board a plane?  I travel frequently for work, but since I work in the banking industry carrying is not an option when at a client site.

Edit:  I just googled it and realized it's an actual ink pen.  I thought it was a tool meant to look like a pen.  So it should be able to carryon.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 12:53:29 PM »
"100 mgs of Succinylcholine Chloride"....do they sell that over the counter at CVS?

It's not over the counter but by subscription as a muscle relaxant.  Using Anectein, its pharmaceutical name,  in Nebraska is illegal (It is legal in some states as the toxic material in  what is called a "pod arrow", which makes up for poor shot placement), but it can be found in sporting goods stores in Alabama and other states where it is legal.  It's also used as a covert weapon:
http://www.medgadget.com/2010/03/succinylcholine_a_perfect_poison_makes_appearance_in_the_dubai_murder.html

100 mg of sux will depolarize every muscle in the body of a 70kg man in about 20 seconds.
The fourth characteristic of succinylcholine is good news for assassins: sux is almost impossible to detect because its metabolites are all naturally occurring molecules. here’s how it works. Most molecules of succinylcholine break down in blood into succinylmonocholine and choline, thanks to a circulating enzyme called pseudocholinesterase. The process is so efficient that only a small fraction of sux molecules that were given actually reach neuromuscular junctions in the first place. Succinylmonocholine is subsequently hydrolyzed into succinic acid, or succinate, a naturally occurring substance well known to anyone who studied biochemistry. The reason succinate is so famous is because it is an important player in TCA (Krebs) cycle, a series of chemical reactions that powers all living cells that use oxygen.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 12:58:09 PM by GreyGeek »

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 03:05:52 PM »
I travel frequently for work, but since I work in the banking industry carrying is not an option when at a client site.
Brian, here's a pretty good podcast that has suggestions for self defense on planes or in other places where you can't legally carry: http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/frank-sharpe-on-armed-and-unarmed-self-defense

You can actually carry one of the Cold Steel (or similar) canes on the plane with you, and due to the ADA, the TSA cannot discriminate against you.
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline zofoman

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 07:27:37 PM »
I wonder if that tactical pen can be carried on board a plane?  I travel frequently for work, but since I work in the banking industry carrying is not an option when at a client site.

Edit:  I just googled it and realized it's an actual ink pen.  I thought it was a tool meant to look like a pen.  So it should be able to carryon.

<you> Can take the pen on the plane with you only if sufficiently packed in a folder/briefcase to where it appears to be just another pen via x-ray...just don't dare be wearing it in your pocket going through security...TSA is on to the variety of tactical pens out there and will confiscate.

It's best to put it in a folder or in something in your carry on where one would normally put a generic writing instrument...parts are aluminum & steel so, it will sound off in a metal detector.  If you put the cap on it so that the ball-point writing part is showing then less chance of getting a raised eyebrow during your luggage scan which could wind up in a discussion behind the curtain.  So, best to not have it somewhere on your person until you have made it thru security.   My oldest son travels more than I do and he takes these precautions....my youngest son is not allowed to have any defensive items due to his work...but, does carry his.   It is after all, "technically" a writing instrument.   There are all kinds of brands/versions out there...many on ebay.   Uzi has their own "branded" version....we are partial to S&W branded items in our family.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 07:24:19 AM »

The "stealth" "tactical" pen of choice is the Zebra F701.  Cheap and fairly tough.  It also doubles as an ink pen.  :)
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 07:25:35 AM »
Good that it worked out ok for you....except that the tacos may have cooled a bit.   

When one is travelling and cannot carry, there are other things one may want to consider having on hand.....like your flashlight, small knife or tactical pen for last resort for example.  Smith&Wesson makes a nice tactical pen (a couple variations) for defense and as an added bonus, they write well.  Can take the pen on the plane with you only if sufficiently packed in a folder/briefcase to where it appears to be just another pen via x-ray...just don't dare be wearing it in your pocket going through security...TSA is on to the variety of tactical pens out there and will confiscate.

Oh, I was armed.   :) 

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 07:36:17 AM »
Lorimor...hope you are enjoying the conference.  A few us went back when they had it in Tulsa (which in my opinion was a better venue, but it's Tom's business and he's a good guy and he'll have it where he wants it). 
Indeed, Memphis is almost a post-class "practical exercise"......

Tom's students are 62-2 currently.  The two that didn't prevail weren't carrying at the time.

There were some great presenters at the conference and I think I learned some good stuff.  Probably the biggest lesson driven home is that I am not practicing enough. 

And that there are some truly scary people in the world.

I was a little frustrated though with the chaotic nature of the schedule as the weekend progressed.  I missed a couple of classes because classrooms were shifted w/little or no prior announcement.  I realized that keeping on top of that entire program would be difficult and there are things beyond their (Tom and Lynn's) control but still it bothered me.   

But all in all, it was an educational experience.  I had a good time and made progress. 

But I'll never live in Memphis.  :)