< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: NRA - BSA Training Information  (Read 1032 times)

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
NRA - BSA Training Information
« on: April 17, 2013, 02:26:57 PM »
Regarding BSA sponsored NRA Instructor Training in Shotgun, Rifle, Pistol and Range Safety Office Disciplines….

These classes are available to Registered Boy Scouts of America Adult Leaders.  These leaders should be active in their respective councils Shooting Sports program, providing their Knowledge, Skills and Attitude towards the training of our youth in the program.  The classes are not posted on the NRA Training site.  When we determine the date and venue for our next training, the registration will be available through the Mid America Council website.

If you are not currently registered with the Boy Scouts of America and completed Youth Protection Training, this is a prerequisite to training.  Please contact your respective area Councils to arrange registration and Youth Protection Training.   

My training team is made up of veteran BSA Shooting Sports personnel in the Mid America Council that have completed BSA National Camping School certifications as BSA Shooting Sports Directors.  Two members of the Mid America Team are appointed NRA Training Counselors.

As a condition of this appointment by the NRA, we have agreed to provide NRA training opportunities at reduced rates to registered BSA adult leaders in our council. 

Our current training program for the Shotgun and Rifle disciplines occurs over a two weekend period.  The first weekend of training begins on a Friday afternoon and concludes Sunday afternoon.  The training covers two classes. 

The first is a 6 hour class called BIT (Basic Instructor Training).  This class is a “teach the teachers” class that trains you to present the NRA material the way the NRA wants it done.  The second class that weekend is a 10 hour class that certifies you as an NRA Shotgun Instructor.  The Shotgun class begins upon completion of the BIT class and concludes Sunday afternoon after testing is complete.

The second weekend of training is a 14 hour NRA Rifle Instructor class.  If the student has not taken the BIT class the previous training period, he or she will have to attend sessions beginning Friday evening and continue thru Sunday afternoon.  If the BIT class has been completed during the first weekend, the Rifle class would begin Saturday morning and continue through Sunday afternoon.

The students that have completed the BIT class and either the Rifle or Shotgun discipline may attend an NRA Pistol Instructor class when it is offered.  The Pistol class is a 10 hour course.

As of this posting, we have conducted a Fall (2012) training in BIT, Shotgun, Rifle and Pistol.  We have just concluded a Spring training class in BIT, Shotgun and Rifle.  We have not scheduled a Pistol class or a Fall training class at this time.  The training team’s volunteer commitment to the BSA Shooting Sports program has us busy from May 15 through mid-August.       

Currently, our training venues are the Boy Scout camps at Little Sioux, IA and Camp Cedars, near Cedar Bluffs, NE.  These venues provide classrooms, ranges and lodging for attendees.

Range Safety Officer training packets are provided to students at the first training session.  An actual RSO class is 10 hours long.  RSO training can be done as a “home study” course. We give you the packets for you to read and take the test. Before you send it in to the NRA, we will hold a ‘review’ of your ‘homework’ for you.  You must be certified in a discipline before submitting the RSO packet for review.

Fees for our training on BSA properties include the cost of NRA required materials, food (5 meals and snacks) as well as lodging.

Commercial rates in the region for the same discipline training, which I don’t see covering food and lodging, is running from $150.00 for Shotgun to $325.00 for Pistol.

Upon completion of your training, you would be expected to make yourself available to your respective area councils to assist them in running their shooting sports programs and activities.  This would include serving as Merit Badge counselors for Rifle or Shotgun and training BB Gun Range Masters as well as running ranges for council activities.

If you have any further questions, please contact me at UPcrawfish@aol.com with NFOA-BSA in the subject line.

Thank you for your interest …
Don Williamson

R E V I E W:
1)   Sign up with the BSA as an adult leader. Adult Registration Form link:   http://www.mac-bsa.org/Post/sections/134/Files/524-501-NewAdultApplication-EN.pdf   Cost is $15.00 per year or pro-rated. 
2)   Complete Youth Protection Training online.  Link:   http://www.mac-bsa.org/Post/sections/101/Files/MandatoryYPTInfo.pdf
3)   Class sequence is BIT/6hrs, Shotgun/10 hrs, Rifle/14hrs, Pistol/10 hrs. The fall classes have not been set as of this writing.  When they are, the registration process will be online through the Mid-America Council web site.  Those who may be interested will receive an email advising of the dates and registration link.
4)    Any questions not covered, send me an email at UPcrawfish@aol.com with subject line NFOA-BSA.

Offline Mattit

• NFOA Full Member
Re: NRA - BSA Training Information
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 01:55:00 PM »
Don, I tried to email you. But the email server said that your email isn't working.  Is there another email to contact you at?  Or you can contact me: matt@tofy.net

Thanks,
-- Matt

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 03:12:10 PM »
Matt, 
I just sent you an email.....   reply to it with your questions.
Thanks, 
Don

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 01:14:52 PM »
Gentlemen, and Ladies....

We have finally gotten our Fall NRA Shotgun and Rifle Instructor classes approved and the registration form is now on-line. 

Please reread the initial posting for the requirements of training (Registered Scouter - Youth Protection...)

Here is the link that is in the Mid America Council website under "Calendar" / September.

http://www.mac-bsa.org/mac_news_details.aspx?ID=1881

Don Williamson

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 01:38:45 PM »
Don, I had some folks at the Annual Meeting that were asking about possibly helping on just a RSO level.
Would that be a option as a separate course?
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 02:09:44 PM »
NEBull,  I'll check with my partner to be sure but at a minimum they would have to already have an Instructor Certification in a shooting discipline to go for RSO.  If they already have a discipline, all they really have to do is go directly to the NRA and request the RSO Home Study option. 

edit...  I speed read the message...   You said they were interested in helping on a RSO level...   If that is all they were interested in, it would still require an Instructor rating in a shooting discipline??
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 02:12:54 PM by UPCrawfish »