< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: pinnacle bank arena  (Read 5421 times)

Offline brandingman

• NFOA Full Member
pinnacle bank arena
« on: August 30, 2013, 02:47:53 PM »
Does anyone know, is the new arena posted or what is their official firearms policy?

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: pinnacle bank arena
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 03:40:57 PM »
Good question.  I'm going to a concert there in a couple of weeks so I'd like to know as well.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 04:18:41 PM »
Well it is city of Lincoln property, or is it University of Nebraska property, it does not matter both entities would post it.  But if it is considered University property it is most likely considered automatically a no gun zone and they may not post, and you would get caught and the rest well we do not want to here that story.

I would put Pinnacle Bank Arena on the off limits list.

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 08:01:25 PM »
It is owned by the city of Lincoln, not the University. My reading of the state preemption law is that a city cannot post it's property or ban carry in a facility other than one of those listed in the statutes (law enforcement buildings, court houses, police stations, etc.). Accordingly, I think it should be legal to carry there unless it was being used for what I call a "prohibited purpose" like a university athletic event.

This is, of course, my personal opinion and is worth what you paid for it. So, unless you want to be a test case, don't carry there.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 08:42:15 PM »
The area has a dress code, so not only do you have to be worried about what is under your shirt, you have to worry about what is printed on it.

Offline lunchbox

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 08:45:30 PM »
Im wiring the building across the street. I can check next week. I do know that the parking garage just southwest of the arena is posted.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 09:02:18 AM »
The area has a dress code, so not only do you have to be worried about what is under your shirt, you have to worry about what is printed on it.
???  I 'spose you can only wear red?
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 11:58:58 AM »
Probably more of a no baggy pants, etc rule to keep out the gangbanger wannabes.  They did that at the Power & Light district in KC. 

Offline lunchbox

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 12:07:36 PM »
I think he dress code entails - No profanity on clothing, no sleeveless shirts or tank tops, no chain wallets that could be used as a weapon, no exposed underwear. lol

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 02:13:30 PM »
I think he dress code entails - No profanity on clothing, no sleeveless shirts or tank tops, no chain wallets that could be used as a weapon, no exposed underwear. lol
WOW! Well that would pretty take care of any of my friends going. ;)
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 04:59:35 PM »
WOW! Well that would pretty take care of any of my friends going. ;)

Which part would stop them?  The "No exposed underwear"?  ;D

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline AJ_Engineer

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2013, 08:04:55 AM »
I was there two weeks ago for the graduation ceremony, I didn't notice any signs but they also weren't finished with the building.

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2013, 10:37:14 AM »
Which part would stop them?  The "No exposed underwear"?  ;D

Fly
Actually, I was thinking everything, but...

Offline BB

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2016, 02:14:37 PM »
While at the Pinnacle Bank Arena this past weekend, I finally saw where they have a notice of no weapons of any kind (including firearms) are allowed.  The posting is in writing (no sign) and is very hard to see, let alone read.

Offline DR4NRA

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2016, 09:42:45 AM »
Does anyone know, is the new arena posted or what is their official firearms policy?

City code. Pinnacle Bank Arena IS a City Facility.

9.36.130 Possession of Firearms and Dangerous Weapons in City and/or
County Facilities; Prohibited.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to knowingly possess or cause to be present a
firearm or other dangerous weapon in a city and/or county facility.
(b) This section shall not apply to possession of a firearm or other dangerous weapon by:
(1) An officer, agent, or employee of a state or a political subdivision thereof who
is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution
of any violation of law, while in the lawful performance of official duties.
(2) Licensed shooting galleries or archeries.
(3) Any range operated, supervised, or maintained by the State of Nebraska or
any political subdivision thereof when in connection with an educational or training program.
(4) Authorized shows, performances and/or exhibitions displaying or using guns
and/or knives. (Ord. 18794 §1; August 21, 2006).
D.R

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2016, 09:51:30 PM »
City codes and ordinances are preempted for valid CHP holders, so only state law applies here. In my opinion conspicuous signage would be required except for school related sports events, political rallies and fundraisers

http://www.sos.ne.gov/rules-and-regs/regsearch/Rules/State_Patrol/Title-272/Chapter-21.pdf 

see section 18 for state prohibited places
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline DR4NRA

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2016, 08:22:47 AM »
City codes and ordinances are preempted for valid CHP holders, so only state law applies here. In my opinion conspicuous signage would be required except for school related sports events, political rallies and fundraisers

http://www.sos.ne.gov/rules-and-regs/regsearch/Rules/State_Patrol/Title-272/Chapter-21.pdf 

see section 18 for state prohibited places

Will save you some time Dan. Opinion Jon Bruning 2008

3. It is our opinion that the provision found in § 69-2441(1)(a) of the Concealed Handgun Permit Act that prohibits even permitholders from carrying concealed handguns “into or onto any other place or premises where handguns are prohibited by law, rule or regulation” means that permitholders may not carry concealed handguns in a location “where the simple possession, let alone the carrying of a handgun, is otherwise prohibited.”

AGO Opinion 09001
http://ago.nebraska.gov/ag_opinion_view?oid=4133
D.R

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2016, 12:09:32 PM »
3 Were a county, city or village to ban the possession or carrying of handguns throughout its geographical territory, it might run afoul of U.S. Const. amend. II and/or Neb. Const. art. I, § 1. See, District of Columbia v. Heller, __ U.S.__, 128 S.Ct. 2783 (2008) (holding municipal law that totally banned possession of firearms in the home unconstitutional as violative of Second Amendment right “to keep and bear Arms”).

permitholders will not be permitted to carry concealed handguns in or on that place or premises. On the other hand, where there is not and cannot be a valid law or rule or regulation prohibiting handguns, whether concealed or not, from a particular place or premises, then permitholders may carry concealed handguns in that location unless some other exception applies.

Therefore, it is our opinion that the exception contained in § 69-2442(1)(a) of the Concealed Handgun Permit Act barring permitholders from carrying concealed handguns “into or onto any other place or premises where handguns are prohibited by law, rule or regulation” does not grant cities and villages the authority to ban the lawful carrying of concealed handguns by permitholders.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Sandhillian

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2016, 01:18:40 PM »
Taken together, I think those provisions mean that a city cannot outright ban the possession or carrying of concealed handguns within its geographical boundaries.  However, it may ban the possession of handguns in certain locations (i.e. the PBA), and if the possession of handguns is prohibited, so too is the carrying of concealed handguns.

Offline DR4NRA

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2016, 05:26:47 PM »
Believe you are correct. As I read the opinion in 3 parts dealing with 3 diffrent scenarios.  The city uses that opinion and your interpetations.
D.R