< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: HELP!!!!! I think I have the EBR disease!  (Read 5357 times)

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
Re: HELP!!!!! I think I have the EBR disease!
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2009, 01:19:39 PM »
Ah you started the AR discussion without me!  :-[

Oh, well time to jump in! First off, I saw someone say the current M4's have 16" barrels. This is false. The military issue M4's have 14.5" barrels. These, however, are considered short barreled rifles by the ATF and require a tax stamp and then they impose all kinds of fun limitations on you. So I'd recommend going 16" for the best mix between velocity and manueverability, at least, in a fighting rifle.

The first thing that you really should think about before anything else is what kind of gas system do you want? Carbine length like the M4? Mid length (which is in between the carbine and rifle length gas systems, it provides a more compact weapon than rifle length but less harsh recoil and slower cycling rate than carbine length)? Or Rifle length like the M16? There are pro's and con's to all three. A lot of people seem to prefer the mid-length system for a 16" barrel. If you're going with a long barrel of 18"+, I don't see any reason not to go with the rifle length system. Some carbines will need a heavier buffer to smooth out how they run, although my 16" barreled carbine gas rifle was fine stock. If you go the SBR route, you will def have some issues with running a standard  buffer and extractor. And of course, you could go gas piston, if you want to.

If you're looking to make a SPR (Special Purpose Rifle) or a serious match/long range accuracy weapon, I'd go with a longer barrel in 1:7 without a doubt. 20" is considered the best for that application, although some go with 24". You certainly gain some extra velocity out of the 24" but it makes for a VERY long weapon compared to most ARs.

That said, 1:9 barrel twist is just fine for basically all shooting you'd ever need to do. I know many people that have successfully stabilized 77gr match ammo with 1:9. That isn't to say 1:7 isn't an improvement, it is, but if you find a rifle you love with 1:9, don't let it force you away. 1:9 and 1:7 will easily shoot M193 (55gr) and M855 (62gr) which are the US military issued rounds.

I would say without a doubt always get a chrome-lined barrel. They will provide you with far easier maintenance and longer life than other barrels.

If you want to go with a pre-built full AR, I'd go with a Colt 6920. If you want to buy a pre-built upper, bravocompanyusa.com has some of the best stuff out there. Companies I'd avoid buying pre-built rifles from: Olympic Arms, DPMS, Vulcan. They're all well known for having poor quality control and letting a lot of "crap" sneak out to consumers. Now, before I get flamed, that DOES NOT MEAN YOU CAN'T HAVE A GOOD QUALITY RIFLE FROM THEM. It simply means that it's a gamble, and I don't know about you guys, but I'd rather pay an extra couple hundred bucks and know I'm getting a quality weapon. I have a Bushmaster which I bought before I knew a whole lot about AR's, but it's treated me well. If I could do it over, I'd probably buy a Colt.

Like the others said, I'd always go and get a flat top rifle. As far as the carry handle ever coming off, it never did on mine before I replaced it, and I never even used tools I just kept it finger tight with the thumb screws. You can certainly use a screw driver to tighten it well beyond finger tight. In addition to that, you can use a little bit of blue loctite if you want to be doubly sure it stays. I loctite everything that could potentially fall off because that could be catastrophic if I ended up having to fight for my life.

However, Jim, if you really want an A2 then get an A2. We can't tell you what you want. We're just trying to help you get the best rifle you can for your money. A lot of people like the retro M16's with the triangular handguards. It's not for me but we all have our niche. Some of us slap all kinds of unnecessary "tactical" accessories on our guns (you might put me in that category :P), others like the KISS philosophy. I like both a lot (seems contradictory, doesn't it?) so I'm going to actually be putting together another rifle and leaving it very "plain jane."

Anyway, just thought I'd share a few thoughts. If you want to get an A2, then just go get one man! You know what you want, we're just trying to help you get something that you'll love when you get it and as you find things you don't like about it you'll be able to make changes to the gun without having to start over and buying a whole new gun. The flat-top gives you that kind of versatility.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2009, 10:58:30 PM »
Just on the principle that "Flat-tops have better resale value" because err-body wants an A-4....... that should make an A-2 cheaper, right? I have 5 kids and a gun collection to feed, after all........
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2009, 09:08:55 AM »
I think you will find that an A2 is a pain in the rear to put optics on, and if you have a virulent strain, you WILL put optics on
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2009, 09:42:06 AM »
I think you will find that an A2 is a pain in the rear to put optics on, and if you have a virulent strain, you WILL put optics on

Agreed.  I will most likely be swapping mine to flat-top configuration when I decide what optic I want to use.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2009, 05:23:20 PM »
Don't buy a 6.8 SPC as a first AR.  Ammo costs are prohibitive.

Not an issue, as I handload...... plus, the 6.8 uses .277 bullets, no? I already keep those in stock.....

....still, I want a 5.56/.223......

Price the brass, it's quite a bit more expensive.  Also, I *think* 6.8 can't use all .277 bullets - only certain weights and shapes - most of which are more expensive than the 55gr and 62gr pills .223 uses.

I'd weep if I had to pay for 6.8 ammo for a carbine class.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2009, 05:25:15 PM »
Any problem with

IMO, there's no reason to buy an A2 (carry handle) upper.  Flat tops are more versatile and have a higher resale value.  You can always put on a detachable carry handle, backup iron sights (BUIS), a scope, or an RDS. 

Detachable carry handles ever....... detach (at the worst possible time?)?????

If flat-tops (A-4?) have a higher resale value, then I should be a pick up the older carry handle style (A-2?) for less, no?

I've never seen a busted carry handle.

A used A2 upper will probably go for less, but, IMO it is less useful.  If you plan on never, EVER mounting an optic, it should be fine.  But a red dot or scope is easier and more comfortable to mount to a flat top. 
NRA Life Member.

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2009, 05:26:57 PM »
The rifle I looked at had a detachable carry handle.... but a normal (to me-Army vet) A-2 front sight set up....... would that not obstruct the scope (if you took the handle off and put a scope on......)?
As LitlRat mentioned, you most likely won't see it.  It depends on the magnification of the scope.  I don't see the the FSB when using a 3x or 4x scope.  Not sure if you'll see it with a 1.5 or 2x. 
NRA Life Member.

Offline jlficken

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2009, 07:56:26 AM »
Colt LE6920's can be had right now for $1100-$1200 and that is about the best price you have ever been able to get on them.  I built my AR with a Sabre Defence upper but had the Colt been available for this price I would have been all over it like white on rice.  Plus now that they are using mil-spec diameter FCG pins on all rifles it really is a no brainer.  I am not a Colt fanboy at all but they are just too good to pass up at this price.  I would buy 10 of them if I could.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 07:58:46 AM by jlficken »

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2009, 04:50:48 PM »
Colt LE6920's can be had right now for $1100-$1200 and that is about the best price you have ever been able to get on them. 

Where?  How long do you have to wait for them?
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2009, 05:15:14 PM »
Impact Guns (online) has 'em for $1400......

I looked around Omaha today....... off the shelf there were DPMS model A-15 for $900 (Scheels) to $990 (TBH).... I noted  everyplace I stopped had these...... as ubiquitous as 10/22s, those....... Guns unlimited had a Smith & Wesson M&P 15 for $1100,,,,,, No carry handle, just a detachable rear sight.  Cabela's had a BushMasterM4A3 for $1100 .... I liked the Bushmaster and M&P ....... 

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2009, 05:16:47 PM »
..... The rifle I was looking at at TBH was gone........ as was the M1 I was initially looking at.....

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2009, 08:32:17 AM »
NRA Life Member.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2009, 10:37:35 AM »
From Bud's :

"The Colt LE6940 Monolithic Advanced Law Enforcement Carbine is an evolution of the 6920. This rifle feature Colt's new monolithic upper receiver. In addition to an uninterrupted full-length front rail, this upper receiver allows for a free-floated barrel. Both rifles feature a gas-block mounted front flip-up sight with bayonet lug and a MaTech backup rear sight. The barrel is Colt's standard 16.1" chrome lined M4 barrel with an A2 flash hider."

This description does not match the picture.......

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2009, 06:50:04 PM »
That is a picture of the 6920, the holy grail of AR's, according to those who drink the Kool-Aid. I personally think that there are much better ARs available for just a few more dollars. Les Baer, Wilson, Noveske (the cat's ass of ARs), and a few others for the standard ARs, then you get into some of their high end models, and the sky is the limit on price and features.

I have one of these 6920s, the description is of the 6940, which is a copy basically of the LMT (Lewis machine and Tool) MRP (Monolithic Rail Platform). If you are not familiar with LMT, they make a very high quality weapon at a decent price.
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2009, 08:05:22 PM »
Hey Jim,

For what it's worth, I love my Bushmaster. And I've heard a lot of stories of a lot of people putting thousands of rounds through them with no problems. While not generally regarded by many as "the top tier," Bushmaster makes a quality product.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2009, 08:46:36 PM »
well i figured id throw in my love for the S&W MP15.  i got my M&P15T from cabelas for a lot, but i am very picky and would only buy an AR with certain things.  that was the first AR that had met my criteria.  but anyways, ive shot tons through it.....around 2,000-3,000 rounds, both steel and brass cased ammo.  no misfires, no bad ejections.  im super-duper happy with this gun.

i also teamed that gun up with a spike's tactical havoc flare launcher and when thats not on the rail, it has a front vertical grip.  i also added a reflex sight.

basically, what ive heard from the 'net is this:  stick with the top quality AR's.  they will hold up and never let you down, after all you get what you pay for.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official