< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: S & W 500  (Read 2712 times)

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
S & W 500
« on: July 29, 2009, 03:08:56 PM »
Did anyone else here get hooked by the "world's most powerful handgun" bait?  I couldn't help myself and bought one of the earlier models (standard compensator and no rail mount capabilities).  To make matters worse, I decided to get one in the 4" barrel models, too.  I actually like the original, and it's not too bad to shoot.  I probably wouldn't have bought the short one if I'd been thinking straight (or was a professional bear or lion hunter, or something).  I hate to think what that survival kit two inch barrel model is like to shoot.

Just wondering what anyone else thought about these, or if anyone was either rich enough or compulsive enough to buy one.  (We really don't have all that many elephants to shoot around here any more!)

« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 04:06:42 PM by armed and humorous »
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: S & W 500
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 08:21:02 AM »
I've never had the pleasure (displeasure?) of shooting the .500.  I have shot the .460 XVR.  I touched off two or three rounds, said thank you, then scampered off to lick my wounds. 

For those who haven't shot one, the .460 makes a .44 Magnum feel like a pea shooter.

For perspective:
.45 Colt, .454 Casull, and .460 S&W

So yeah, the .500 is MOAR POWER!!!

Call me a wuss, but I'd rather have a rifle.
NRA Life Member.

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 11:52:27 AM »
Yeah, a BMG!  I had this photo already taken in case anyone hasn't seen the .50 handgun rounds.

.22 long rifle and .50 cal (not sure which one this is, I have from 325gr up to 500gr, this is probably the 400gr hp)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 04:05:43 PM by armed and humorous »
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 11:02:45 PM »
i have a friend who wants a S&W 500.  i think he's crazy.  i prefer rifles as well.

any suggestions to someone before they pick up, buy and shoot a S&W 500?
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 05:20:29 AM »
i have a friend who wants a S&W 500.  i think he's crazy.  i prefer rifles as well.

any suggestions to someone before they pick up, buy and shoot a S&W 500?

Wait for a rich uncle to die so you can inherit his fortune and be able to buy ammo for it! ;)

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 05:28:41 AM »
Off the subject:

I've posted twice here with pictures included.  Now, when I come back to this page, the pictures don't load, and all I see is a smal box with a red x in it.  Is that what the rest of you see, too, or is it just my browser settings or something that keep me from seeing them.  When I first put them up, they work fine.  This has happened on other pages too.  Anyone know why?

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 07:46:43 AM »
I think I got it fixed for you.  Not sure what the problem was.

Well, so much for that.  My forum-fu is weak.  ???
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 09:51:42 AM by FarmerRick »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 08:20:26 AM »
I see no pictures in the thread besides mine.
NRA Life Member.

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 04:08:31 PM »
Thanks Rich B.  I've copied the pictures to a different location on the web and reposted them in my comments above.  I can see them now, but I don't know if others can or if they'll still be there next time I come back to this page.  I'd appreciate someone letting me know if they are displayed now.

Thanks

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 05:47:25 PM »
Yep, working now.
NRA Life Member.

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 06:18:12 PM »
Thanks Rich B, I can still see them, too.  Must have been something about the photo site where I was "storing" the pictures.  I think there have been other comments on other topics where I have placed photos that didn't work, but it's been some time now, and I don't remember which ones, so I won't worry about it.  If anyone notices one of those red xes on one of my comments and would like to see the photo that was supposed to be there, let me know and I'll go fix it.  :)

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 07:38:33 PM »
I didn't have a red x.  It was just blank.  Weird.
NRA Life Member.

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 08:16:45 PM »
I suppose differ browsers/operating systems/etc. load things a little differently, but I can still see the two photos I posted above, so I guess the new online storage site I'm using made the difference.

Thanks again, Rich B

Offline GREGG

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 09:35:26 PM »
I've shot the stardard S & W 500 mag 8" with store ammo, it's not for the faint of heart. Shot the Performance Center S&W 500 Magnum with 10.5 barrel with heavy loads at $ 55.00 a box of 20, the concussion of it in a indoor range is ungodly and wild. It a very heavy iron that takes a shooter that "ENJOYS" pain and shock in their joints. I had a deal on the PC 10.5" but he sold it to a friend. I purchased a Performance Center S & W 460 Magnum 6.5" hunter and it's heavy but a really sweet shooter with the Hornaday 200 gr SST ammo. The ammo is half the price of the 500 magnum, plus the gun will shoot 45 Long Colt and 454 Casull. The gun is well worth every penny. I like the caliber so much, I added another PC S & W 460 Magnum 10.5" hunter. Nicer to shoot, faster then the 500, more choices of ammo are good points to think about. 

Offline Eagle1

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 09:03:54 PM »
I shot both the .500 and .460 last summer at a cousin-in-laws. He owns all of the SW large frame handguns. I have a bad elbow and just hoped I would not drop his nice guns. I have to say that I was shocked that they did not kick as hard as I thought they might. Just beware that if you shoot both, the .460 kicks harder and keep your teeth tight together or far apart. You might just break a tooth.
USN 83-87, American Legion