< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: The often overlooked part of self defense....  (Read 1987 times)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
The often overlooked part of self defense....
« on: September 19, 2013, 06:50:34 PM »
...is physical fitness, IMO.  We've had a lot of really good discussions here lately regarding self defense, mostly with a handgun.  But the comments Thomas made here http://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/index.php/topic,10008.40.html about defending against an aggressor 15 feet away with a baseball bat brings up a good point that a lot of people overlook.  What happens when you can't use your gun?  Are you going to be physically fit enough to survive the encounter?  Even if you are able to successfully defend yourself with your handgun you very well could be injured in the exchange.  Someone who is in good physical shape has a much better chance of surviving a traumatic injury than a couch potato.

Now, I will be the first to admit that you can't expect to be able to physically overpower every aggressor.  The fact is, there is always someone bigger, stronger, and faster.  And I know firsthand how it gets harder to stay in shape as we age.  I'm still relatively young at 37 years old, but I can't run as fast as I used to and it takes longer to recover from physical activity than it did 20 years ago when I was a high school athlete (man, writing that made me feel old).  That's why we carry a gun, so we're not at the mercy of those who are physically stronger.  The advent of firearms is one of the technological advances that helped bring about the end of serfdom and ushered in modern Western civilization.  As the saying goes, God made men, but Sam Colt made them equal.

But a handgun is not a magic wand.  No matter how much you train, no matter how good you are, there's always the chance that you will be unable to use it for one reason or another.  If you aren't paying attention to your physical health you are putting yourself at a serious disadvantage.  Why not use all the tools you have available?

And with that said, I'd better go for that run I was planning on tonight so I don't look like a hypocrite :)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 07:00:47 PM by bkoenig »

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: The often overlooked part of self defense....
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 07:14:25 PM »
This is also where some proficiency in hand to hand comes in handy. (Pun intended)
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline gigabelly

• Steel Benefactor
  • KD0RTI
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 07:49:22 PM »
great topic! Firearms should be but one tool in our arsenal.
Government is not the solution to our problems, Government is our problem. -Ronald Reagan

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 04:56:00 PM »
This is a great reminder again. I was at an event lately and saw a short hefty fella who planned to carry a medium framed pistol in the small of his back. Trouble was, it seemed like he couldn't even reach it when it was in the holster. It seemed like a 20 second process for him to draw out safely and I felt like a lot of the awkwardness came from his physical limitations, both limberness and body dimensions. I'm glad he's taking the steps to be prepared to defend himself but I think that he should reconsider his placement of carry as well as look into improving his physical conditioning...

Now to go for a run as well!

Oh and this was also stressed in the blog "fight like a girl" that we discussed lately. The lady attributed her physical fitness with helping her survive the attack.

http://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/index.php/topic,9909.msg69558.html#msg69558
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 10:10:39 AM »
Preach it brother Koenig! I just finished a 26 mile bike ride through some big hills, by the way. :D

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 03:45:40 PM »
Anyone else here doing the Spartan Race in Lincoln next month?

Training for an event is a great way to force yourself to exercise, and mud runs like these are a blast. 

Offline gigabelly

• Steel Benefactor
  • KD0RTI
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 05:03:44 PM »
I am not allowed to run anymore, but I do P90X and BodyBeast, which is a bodybuilding program.  I had to have both hips replaced so running is  not an option.  After my 1st replacement, I started the P90X. If I can do it, anyone can.  If anyone is interested in trying it, let me know as I volunteer as a coach.   

I really wish I could do those mud runs and obstacle courses though.  It sounds like a blast. 
Government is not the solution to our problems, Government is our problem. -Ronald Reagan

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 09:53:12 AM »
Anyone else here doing the Spartan Race in Lincoln next month?

Training for an event is a great way to force yourself to exercise, and mud runs like these are a blast. 

Yup.  I'll be there.  Hopefully, my shattered collar bone will be re-habbed enough to do burpees if I fail at any of the obstacles.

giga - plenty of people walk between the obstacles.