< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: U.N. Treaty on Arms Regulations  (Read 779 times)

Offline wcr

• NFOA Full Member
U.N. Treaty on Arms Regulations
« on: September 25, 2013, 07:08:25 PM »
In case you missed it Sec. of State John Kerry signed the U.N. Treaty on Arms Regulations today, Wed. Sep 25, 2013.  See OWH page 5A left column.  I thought treaties had to be signed by the President and ratified by a two thirds of the Senate.  What does Kerry's signature obligate us to or mean?  I noticed this isn't getting much press or coverage.  Almost like a watching magician directing your attention to his right hand (Obamacare, gov. shutdown, etc.) while the real trick of hand is going on in the unseen left hand (U.N. Treaty on Arms Regulations).  We have to make sure our elected officials are watching both hands closely.

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
Re: U.N. Treaty on Arms Regulations
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 08:01:05 PM »
Basically it means that it can be sent to the Senate for ratification at any time, even years down the road.  I believe the gun control maggot types would act whenever they felt they had the votes to ram it where the sun doesn't shine. :o

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 01:49:10 PM »
has anyone contacted their Federal reps about this?  i plan on sending a few email tomorrow about this.  in the meantime here are some emails from Johanns and Fischer:

Johanns e-update:
September 25, 2013
Today, I reinforced my opposition to the U.N. Arms Trade Treaty signed by U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry this morning. It would regulate the international sale of conventional firearms for the first time in history. The U.S. should not be held hostage to a vague, ambiguous treaty that jeopardizes our national sovereignty and our constitutional rights. This restrictive agreement, which I and a majority of my colleagues in the Senate earlier opposed earlier this year, is not in the best interest of the American people.

Any treaty can only be ratified in the Senate by a two-thirds majority. As a lifelong supporter of the Second Amendment, I cannot support anything that compromises law-abiding citizens’ right to bear arms.

Fischer:
Friend:
Yesterday, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry signed the U.N. Arms Trade Treaty.

As a staunch supporter of the Second Amendment, I have grave concerns for our country’s sovereignty and constitutional protections under this agreement. International organizations should never have any undue say in the regulation of guns in our country.

Here’s the good news. On March 23, 2013, I joined 52 Senators from both parties to go on record in opposition to the Arms Trade Treaty. This means President Obama will not have the two-thirds (67 votes) Senate approval required to ratify the treaty.

It is clear that this treaty does not have the support of the United States Senate or the American people, and I will continue to back efforts to oppose this treaty.

Deb Fischer
U.S. Senator
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline RedDot

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 08:37:30 PM »
Only thing I have seen come out of this is foreign gun makers setting up manufacturing/assembly points here in the U.S.   Although the current administration is pushing for Immigration Reform to allow highly skilled foreign workers to emigrate to the U.S., I somehow doubt they were thinking of white European arms manufacturers. :P