< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: DPMS LR308 16"  (Read 2830 times)

Offline jon_schram

• NFOA Full Member
DPMS LR308 16"
« on: September 27, 2013, 02:07:21 PM »
I got this rifle a few months ago and I've been playing with it since.  I originally had it topped with a NF 5.5-22 but I wanted a lower power optic for hunting.  Ended up choosing the Nikon Monarch 3 (3-12 with BDC) on high Talley rings I had lying around.  Added a 3" rail, knock-off Atlas bipod, swivel adapter and simple sling.  Weighs in at a tad over 10.5lbs even with the short 16" barrel. 

Here it is in its current configuration:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/103482882@N04/9969909176/#

I had great illusions of this being a sub-MOA gun based on user reports from the net.  I am sad to say that this has not been the case with my rifle.  500 rounds or so down the barrel (I did follow the manufacturers break in procedure) and I have yet to find a load that will consistently hold 1.5 MOA.  All is not lost, however, it is still a handy rifle to tote around despite the weight.  I plan on using this rifle to hunt white tail from a blind, somewhere its short length will be truly appreciated.

I'm very satisfied with the Nikon Monarch 3-12 BDC.  This is a very well put together and thought out scope.  Glass is not on par with NF, high end Leupold, or S&B, but very suitable for what I am using it for.  I have the scope zeroed at 100, and use the BDC (utilizing the "Spot On" software from Nikon's website) to shoot out to 375 yards.  I have no plans on taking a deer at distances beyond 200 yards with this rifle, and I have better long range options beyond this rifle.   

Overall the rifle has been very reliable and consistent.  A single hiccup on the very first shot (FTE) and its shot perfect since.  The gun is seriously over-gassed, however....without a brass catcher it'll launch most loads over 20 feet from the shooter.  An adjustable gas port is on order.  The trigger out of the box is pretty gritty and terrible.  It has worked itself in some over the last few sessions...but it will get replaced at some point in the future.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/103482882@N04/9969824065/#

I've been messing around with different loads lately and I really haven't found anything outstanding.  165gr Hornady SST's under a medium load of Varget will do 1.5-2" at 100 yards.  Varget will launch 168gr Sierra's into 1.5" MOST of the time, but seems to throw an unusual flier about every 3-4 groups.  Nosler's of several weights were tried to the tune of 2-2.5".  150gr Hornady Interbonds have been pretty accurate, but the 16" barrel can't push these pills hard enough to open up inside a deer.  For factory stuff Federal 168 trophy match, Hornady match, and some old Buffalo Bore 175 grain blue box stuff all shoots inside 2" at 100 yards.

Overall I must say I'm pleased with the rifle.  It functions well (even if over gassed), is highly portable, and was an inexpensive .308 that shares mags with my SR25.  I think a trigger swap will do wonders for offhand shooting, and a new barrel at some point will bring the groups down (and make cleaning easier...bore picks up a lot copper).

Hope to pop a couple doe's with it in November.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 02:14:08 PM by jon_schram »

Offline jon_schram

• NFOA Full Member
Re: DPMS LR308 16"
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 02:15:55 PM »
I've tried multiple times to edit my post to show pictures.  Not sure what the issue is as I've posted pics on various other forums over the years.  I just set up a Flickr account because Photobucket crashed and I lost all of my photos.  Maybe there is some different ways to show pictures using Flickr?  If anybody knows what I'm doing wrong please let me know and I'll post them up.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 02:38:51 PM »
1. When you have your photo up in Flickr, click on the Share icon (the curved arrow pointing outside of the box) near the bottom of the page.
2. Select Grab the HTML/BB Code and click the BB Code radio button.
3. Select the size of the picture as you want to share it.
4. Click on the code generated in the white box.
5. Copy the code and paste it here.

guns 007 by jon_schram, on Flickr
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 02:52:51 PM by Mudinyeri »

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 03:31:12 PM »
I wonder if a free float forend would help tighten up the groups.  I have no experience with 308 AR's, but with other calibers I've found a non-free float forend can cause considerable vertical stringing.

Offline jon_schram

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 05:30:37 PM »
mudinyeri: Thanks for the tip.  Now I'll be able to post some pics with my ramblings!

free float forend would help tighten up the groups.  I have no experience with 308 AR's, but with other calibers I've found a non-free float forend can cause considerable vertical stringing.      

I agree that free floating the forend will help groups.  Haven't gone that route on this build specifically because I was looking for a low-dollar hunting rig.  When/if I replace the barrel I will definitely slap a FF rail on there.  I've FF'ed several AR's in the past and this always helped tighten up groups (especially in long strings of fire).  I've been keeping track of cold bore shots, and I'm running somewhere in the 2.5-3" from a fouled cold bore.  First shot is all that really counts. 

Really, if I could CONSITANTLY get 1.5 MOA with a hunting bullet I would be happy.  <1 MOA is great and all, but not necessarily needed for what I'm going to use it for.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 07:34:57 PM »
i saw one of these for sale and almost bought it...  i didn't buy it b/c i would have to switch out pretty much everything to what i would want.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline jon_schram

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 10:35:41 PM »
i saw one of these for sale and almost bought it...  i didn't buy it b/c i would have to switch out pretty much everything to what i would want.
I hear ya!  It's definitely not a perfect system as-is.  I didn't purchase this to be a SHTF rifle or to compete in tactical matches.  It would do poorly in both of these fields.  I think its a pretty nice range toy/hunting rig, but nothing exceptional.  I wanted something compatible with my SR25 (same mags, manual of arms, loads, etc) and I think it will do nicely in that role.  Unfortunately it does not like the same loads, but I'm working on that lol.

What is so nice about AR platform guns is just how upgradeable they really are.  I will put an adjustable gas plug on when it comes in the mail, swap in a better trigger, and eventually rebarrel at my leisure.  There is just no other platform out there that offers that level of modularity and support (just about everybody has jumped on the DPMS lr308 platform bandwagon in the last 2 years).  I really would like to see every company come to a standard consensus like they did the AR-15 platform in the early 1990's.  I think it will happen, but probably not for a few more years.  Armalite FINALLY switched over to SR25/Magpul mags...took them long enough.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 01:11:24 AM »
I like mine.  She is a keeper.

Offline jonm

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 11:35:13 AM »
you don't want to free float the barrel because of cost, but you want to swap triggers and barrel?

Offline jon_schram

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 11:56:51 AM »
you don't want to free float the barrel because of cost, but you want to swap triggers and barrel?
I will probably free float at some point in the future...just not until I swap the barrel.  Stock barrel is pretty rough when I bore scoped it last night.  Not sure if I'd gain enough to make it a worthwhile investment with the stock barrel.  Trigger needs replaced...it is pretty bad.  I like upgrading stuff and it helps soften the blow to the checking account....my wife would notice a $1000.00 brownells order but she will likely overlook a few hundred here and there ????

Gary: I like the look of that rifle.  Got any good loads I should try in mine?  That stainless barrel without a flash suppressor sets it off very nicely.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 08:50:13 PM »
I purchased it because of the stainless bull barrel.   I am a sucker for them.   I wanted a bull barrel AR.  I have 4 AR's already, but wanted a bull barrel. 

Can't recommend any cartridge, I just shoot, what I can find.

Offline jon_schram

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 06:12:11 PM »
Finally found a load I can live with!  44.5 gr of Varget under a Hornady 165 Loaded out a "bit" further than book max.  New cannelure applied with CH tool.  PMC brass and CCI 200 primers.  Still probably not ever going to manage that magical 1MOA with the stock barrel, but this load will do 1.25-1.5 and cold bore shot is right on the money.

Hope this can help anybody else that may be playing with a LR308.