< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: NFA eForm system  (Read 2525 times)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
NFA eForm system
« on: September 30, 2013, 04:00:10 PM »
Just submitted a Form 1 for a suppressor.  What a mess.  The ATF's website for submitting NFA forms is almost unuseable.  Buttons don't work, scroll bars don't scroll, it times out, etc.  They tell you that it's only compatible with IE 8, which no one who's remotely up to date would still be running.  Leave it to the Feds.

Oh well, supposedly the online applications process quite a bit faster since the payment goes through right away. 

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
Re: NFA eForm system
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 04:56:31 PM »
Just submitted a Form 1 for a suppressor.  What a mess.  The ATF's website for submitting NFA forms is almost unuseable.  Buttons don't work, scroll bars don't scroll, it times out, etc.  They tell you that it's only compatible with IE 8, which no one who's remotely up to date would still be running.  Leave it to the Feds.

Oh well, supposedly the online applications process quite a bit faster since the payment goes through right away. 

Yeah, from what I have heard the forms go straight to pending... if you can get the system to cooperate.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 05:04:47 PM »
Probably doesn't matter anyway since .gov will be shut down :)

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 07:15:41 PM »
i hear there is one browser that works, others don't.  i have a couple of forms pending, i should call and see if they are pending or not.

yay - BK has another Form 1 suppressor in the works!  pictures are a must (when form is approved, of course)!
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 09:57:09 PM »
Going to make a lighter weight .308 can.  The big monstrosity I made last time around works well on my Remington 700 but it's a little unwieldy on a carbine.

Serial # is going to be FBHOx87  :)

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 11:52:07 PM »
Any of you guys do a form 1 on eforms for an sbr?  After i add a line item it then aks for a file upload..

Can i add two sbrs on one eform?

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 10:16:24 PM »
Serial # is going to be FBHOx87  :)

:) nice! I've thought about making my own can... might have to consult with you some time. I'm a design engineer by trade and novice (other word for low gun fund) enthusiast by blood.
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 02:32:37 PM »
After 1.5 hrs of trying to sign up as a dealer I gave up.  In a couple years if they get the system working it might be worth while.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline jonm

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 03:45:23 PM »
based on the speed of the forms turnaround, it's worth it. many have been getting their forms back in 3 months.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 03:46:13 PM »
I messed with the new e-Form system for quite some time to get setup.  Took over a week to finally get it setup properly to submit the first Form 4.  I was fortunate to have a very patient person offer to be the guinea pig for the first submission.  It has a number of quirks but now that it is actually working and I know how to use the thing it has been fairly easy.

Offline dkarp

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2013, 03:46:32 PM »
So, the website was built by the same fools that did obamacare, apparently.

EDITED TO ADD:
Just visited the site, saw that  only IE 8 or Safari work with the forms. Really?? Does IE8 even work with anything past Windows XP?? can you even download IE8 any more? Our windows 7 machines at work are wanting to install IE 11 (yes, eleven), even though we just upgraded to IE 10....
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 03:52:04 PM by dkarp »

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, 04:26:17 PM »
You can actually run in IE8 emulation mode.  I finally got it to work in Firefox, but others have reported that browser doesn't work.  It doesn't even appear to be consistent.

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2013, 04:40:47 PM »
You can actually run in IE8 emulation mode.  I finally got it to work in Firefox, but others have reported that browser doesn't work.  It doesn't even appear to be consistent.

Are you talking about you got the NFA eForm site to work ......or heathcare.gov ?

I'm sure lots would like to know how you got the latter to work.
"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 08:09:23 AM »

I ran mine in Chrome with no issues. The only problem I had was the 3mb upload cap. I had to break my trust into 6 documents so I could upload it. Annoying, but for the advantages of a quicker turnaround, acceptable.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.