< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: M&P Shield .40 looking to try before i buy  (Read 1179 times)

Offline hembri2011

• Forum Member
M&P Shield .40 looking to try before i buy
« on: October 15, 2013, 09:31:43 PM »
My wife recently completed a CCW class and I am looking for a pistol for her.  We have looked at the M&P Shield and she liked the way it felt.  I don't like the idea of buying a firearm without shooting one first.  I am from the Omaha area and have looked at both the Bullet Hole in Omaha and Big Shots in Lincoln and neither of them have the Shield to rent.

Does anybody in the Omaha or Lincoln area have a M&P Shield that my wife and I can shoot.

Also does anybody have an opinion good or bad regarding the Shield

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Re: M&P Shield .40 looking to try before i buy
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 10:31:51 AM »
Has your wife (or have you) fired any similarly-sized .40 caliber handguns? 

Here's a little story that might help you decide on the Shield .40.  My brother was very enthralled with them, also.  He was dead set on finding one (they seem to be in short supply) and purchasing it for his CC pistol.  My brother has very limited experience with handguns so we went up to our farm and I brought along a few different pistols for him to try.  I brought 9mm and .40 caliber pistols, including a Glock 19 and a Glock 23 (essentially the same pistol in 9mm and .40 caliber, respectively, if you're not familiar with them).  I had him shoot the Glock 23 first - simulating a rapid-fire defensive scenario - and then the Glock 19.  With a paper plate-sized target at about 7 yards, he had one shot on target with the G23 (.40 cal) and four shots on target with the G19 (9mm).  He was quickly convinced that small .40 caliber pistols were much more difficult to handle in rapid-fire scenarios (typical defensive shooting).

I'm not suggesting that the Shield .40 is a bad gun.  I've never fired one.  However, the Shield .40 is considerably smaller than the Glock 23 and, by extension, even more difficult to handle in real-world defensive scenarios.

I know many women are tempted to carry very small pistols due to the lighter weight and how they fit in their hands.  That's not necessarily a great way to choose a defensive weapon.