< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Mid America Council's Boy Scout Top Shot Event  (Read 1819 times)

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Mid America Council's Boy Scout Top Shot Event
« on: October 19, 2013, 05:12:35 PM »
Some or most of ya'll have heard me bragging about this, and it's coming up fast!

October 26 and 27 at the Little Sioux Scout Ranch in Iowa.

There will be competitions for the Boy Scouts in Rifle, Shotgun, Archery, and Wrist Rockets (including pistol for Venturers  :o)   Along with fun/ safe activities for the Cub Scout boys also (That's where I come in)

Due to the generosity of the NFOA, along with donations from Scheels (Omaha) we will be awarding Gift Certificates to the top three places in Team and Individual Scores.   :D

But we are needing help.  Due to underwhelming volunteerism, we could use some help.   If you are NRA Certified Instructor or RSO, Certified Archery Instructor,  Cub/ Boy Scout Leader, or a good person that wants to help, we can find a place for you.  Please contact myself (NE Bull)  or UPCrawfish if you can help.   
I personally could use another couple pairs of eye on the Cub Scout Ranges (Wrist Rocket, Archery, BB Gun,( and possibly Air Rifle Webelo's Only)  ).

One thing I would like to see if I could borrow from someone is a portable shooting bench for the Air Rifle.  My set up will be similar to the Animal Cracker Safari at the Annual Meeting.  If anyone has a bench/ table I could borrow, please contact me thru here or PM.

Gotta go, Last minute planning and packing to do.

Thanx!
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Re: Mid America Council's Boy Scout Top Shot Event
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 02:45:36 PM »
*Bump from the weekend*
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 06:12:17 PM »
Looks like I will be heading up Wednesday morning..    :D 

Just got through working a CUB weekend at Cedars.  We had about 150 Cubbies / 50+ siblings and over 150 parents all over the camp Saturday and Sunday..  Great time...

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 06:47:11 PM »
Sweet! I was going to offer to help at the Shooting Event at HQ , but I just couldn't make it work out.

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
NFOA helps out at the first BSA MAC Top Shot!
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 04:16:27 PM »
Well, another Crazy Fun Weekend spent with scouts and shooty things at the Little Sioux Scout Ranch.

The Mid America Council's FIRST Annual TOP SHOT! Competition is done and in the books. And I am here to tell ya the boys and instructor/RSOs equally had a blast! (or two).

There were competitions in Shotgunning, Rifle, Archery, and WristRockets for the Boy Scouts (having had to previously earned the appropriate Merit Badges) with a pistol side match for the Venturer Scouts.  Scores were tallied from all events for Top Teams and Individuals.
  My son and I ran a Fun Range for the Cub Scouts which included Archery, Wrist Rockets, and BB guns, with a little something extra in the way of (relatively) longer distance Air Rifle range for the Webelos and younger Boy Scouts. (Something new I introduced this year and hope to expand on) There was also an Exhibition Shotgunner (Essentially a disciple of the legendary Tom Knapp) from right here in Nebraska, and the local Search and Rescue showed off their working dogs- send kids into the woods for a Human/ Canine Hide and Seek!  (Yes, all boys were accounted for----We think  ;) )

The NFOA (That's us all, ya'll) Played a couple key parts in this pilot event (which, by the way, the 'powers that be within the council, LOVED IT! and this will most likely become a yearly event) 8)

If you all remember early on we put together a .22 ammo drive for the Scouts, well, we had plenty ammo to for this event thanks to those that helped out.

At the last Shooting Sports meeting, a couple of the guys mentioned wishing we could add a little something above the Awesome Trophies for these boys.  Well, I personally like a challenge and after a little sweet talking to the BoD  :kiss:  :kiss: and soliciting some donations from Scheel's of Omaha, we were able to put together prize packages of cash and Scheel's Gift Cards to the Top Three winners in both the Team and Individual categories!   And I am here to tell ya (and UPCrawfish will back me up), when we announced that surprise at the Safety Briefing on Friday night, the excitement from the boys danged near blew the roof off the Pavilion! 

We would like to thank the members of the NFOA for their support of youth shooting sports.

I will gather more pictures as the "Official" film crew lets loose of them.
I was able to get a couple pics with some of this year's winners.
 (A link to Shur Shot Sporting video- Trent and his Dad and Son came out and put on a show for the boys -FREE OF CHARGE! This guy is pretty impressive. )
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 04:22:50 PM by NE Bull »

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 08:22:21 PM »
Bull, Nice shirt.

Greg58
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 02:19:54 PM »
Fellow NFOA members....   

THANK YOU for your support of the Boy Scouts and our Shooting Sports Program. 

As NEBull wrote, a great time was had by all who attended.  We had over 250 youth and adults attended the weekend event.  Chilly mornings and warming, clear afternoons made for a good day of shooting. 

NEBull ran a very popular Cub level shooting program and was busy ALL DAY.  Even the older Boy Scouts came down and tried their skills at his challenges.

Two Rifle events - two archery events - one shotgun - one wrist rocket(upscale slingshot) shooting paintballs as well as an Open Pistol station for youth and adults.  The Pistol event was also busy all day.

We are already making plans for next year to modify the program to expand and enhance the activities.

Thank you again................
Don Williamson

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 05:37:14 PM »
Bull, Nice shirt.

Greg58
It was fitting a bit tight this weekend. It MIGHT be all the Awesome Food and Sinful Deserts the staff was fed. ;)

I'll get a picture posted of the Tshirt the boys "decorated" with paintballs at the Wrist rocket station.