< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Custom Rifle  (Read 1255 times)

Offline bigmountainskiercfg

• Forum Member
Custom Rifle
« on: October 31, 2013, 10:03:30 PM »
I have been pondering the idea of building a custom rifle in a 338 win mag or a 300 win mag.  Have any of you had someone build a rifle from the ground up that you recommend?  I thought about just buying a shelf gun and sending it off to have gone through by a gunsmith.  Don't want to break the bank but... Ready to get myself a graduation present that will shoot .5 moa. 

Thanks in advance

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: Custom Rifle
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 10:15:01 PM »
I know Nemo Arms has the "Omen" in 300 Win Mag in an AR platform, other than that I can't really help ya. Keep us posted on what you go with though!
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline bigmountainskiercfg

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 10:16:58 PM »
Ya, I have looked into the Omen watchman by nemo arms but... beyond my price range even with my brother in law's discount (works for them).  Looking for a bolt action, carry rifle ~ 8lbs.  Will use it for elk hunting and long range steel shooting.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 08:05:43 AM »
Savage had the 110 in 338, but from experience, I think you may be hard pressed to find a rifle in those calibers in the 8lb range.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 08:58:39 AM »
Savage had the 110 in 338, but from experience, I think you may be hard pressed to find a rifle in those calibers in the 8lb range.

I've heard mixed reviews of the Savage 338.  Strange because in general Savage makes very good rifles for the money.

If I had the scratch to build a custom rifle I'd look to someone like GAP, Tac Ops or another high end builder.  I don't shoot well enough to take advantage of a custom built precision rifle, though.  My factory barreled Remington 700 is more than accurate enough for my purposes.

I would suggest checking out the Snipers Hide forums.  There is a lot of knowledge there about what to look for in a custom builder and they'll be able to steer you to a reputable shop.  Whatever you do, just make sure you save up the money for a high end scope.  If you're going to be dropping the cash for a custom rifle capable of extreme accuracy you really need to spend at least the same amount on your optic as you do the rifle.  A high quality optic with a factory rifle is better than a custom rifle with a low end optic.

Edit:  I just saw that you would like to also use this for Elk hunting.  Personally, I'm thinking a rifle used for long range steel shooting needs to be fairly heavy to absorb recoil if you want to be shooting those larger calibers for anything more than a few shots at a time.  A rifle like that might not be too pleasant to hump around the mountains chasing elk. 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 10:07:55 AM by bkoenig »

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 09:02:31 AM »
Almost forgot, here's a good article on custom vs. factory precision rifles:

http://demigodllc.com/articles/practical-long-range-rifle-shooting-equipment/?p=4

Offline GR8GIFT

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 09:22:25 PM »
Remington AWR will be around 7 1/2 to 8 pounds scoped. Custom shop and pricey  but available in .338 Winchester Magnum.

here's one at Cabelas:
 http://www.cabelas.com/product/Remington-AWR-II-Remington-Custom-Shop-In-Winchester-Magnum/1678401.uts
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 09:25:11 PM by GR8GIFT »