< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Operation "Rescue Squirrel" (Glenfield 60 content)  (Read 1673 times)

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Operation "Rescue Squirrel" (Glenfield 60 content)
« on: November 02, 2013, 09:38:15 PM »

My dad called me a couple weeks ago and said he had a “project” for me to look at. He said he picked up an old Glenfield from a friend of the family. He knows I have a soft spot for them seeing as that’s what he taught me to shoot with.

Backstory on this is that for the last 35 years or so, it had been hanging out in a soft case in the back of the closet. I’ll let the pictures do the talking.

Holy crap. This thing was in so much need of love and affection I couldn’t help but try to revive it. The action would hardly open, only when you got a little grumpy with it, and then it didn’t close all the way. There was actually a dead, dried up cricket in the barrel. After a couple hours, some swearing, and some head scratching, I managed to get her apart and started cleaning. And that’s when I found the issues.

The guide rod was about as straight as Liberace, and those recoils springs started life as a recoil spring. $20 down the line to Brownells and the new stuff is on the way, once it gets here I’ll reassemble and function test before tearing it back down for refinishing.

Will update as I try to bring this little nut buster back to life. Here is how she sits while waiting for new parts.

It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: Operation "Rescue Squirrel" (Glenfield 60 content)
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 10:18:32 PM »
In the meantime, you could lay your hands on it and pray.

[Wipe metal parts w/a good gun oil afterwards.]

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 02:23:22 PM »
are you planning on restoring it?  re-doing the wood and metal?  what are you going to do with it when you're done?

i did a little TLC on my gpa's .410 bolt action a couple of years ago... it had about 3 inches of dead/decaying bugs in the barrel.  that section was pretty rough, but the rest of the gun cleaned up.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline gsd

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 10:44:59 PM »
The owner would like to shoot it, sentimental aspect and all. Wood is getting redone, and barrel re blued and action housin painted. Should bring it back to new-ish condition. The barrel has one ring of rust, hoping that will shoot itself out after time.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 12:25:20 PM »
JB Bore paste can work wonders cleaning up a barrel that has internal corrosion.  When my father in law passed away he had a Marlin .22 mag that had been sitting in the basement and had a pretty good patch of rust in one spot in the bore.  It took a while but I got it cleaned up for my nephew and it's a good shooting little gun.

Offline gsd

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 04:48:15 PM »
Good to know thanks Brian.

Offline gsd

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 12:01:49 PM »
Little feller got the first two coats of walnut stain this morning, drying now. Oil application tomorrow following acceptable cure time of 24 hours.

Now let's see if I can upload a pic from my phone...

Offline gsd

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 08:04:30 PM »
She lives! Reassembled to 99%, (the rear sight broke while being driven off, new one on the way) rapid fire function test with 6 rounds of Remington Golden Bullet, she ran like a sewing machine!

The sentimental value attached to this rifle made it worth restoring for the owner even given current market value, but Anyway, enough talk, how about a couple pics? ;D