< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: arrested for omaha open carry  (Read 6612 times)

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
Re: arrested for omaha open carry
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2009, 11:24:16 PM »
Not to hi-jack the thread, but I would like to respond to the 'NRA doesn't want to rock the boat'. I would reply the NRA spent $40 million to defeat Obama, the GOA (for example) spent their time & effort saying 'McCain is a gun grabber'. What was more helpful? The NRA is certainly not perfect or infallible but are very effective by the enemies own admission. Do they have to pick their battles? To a degree, but that is not the same as compromise. I am an NRA Life/Endowment member so don't claim to be objective, but wouldn't hesitate to call them out if they veered off course.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2009, 08:31:55 AM »
Not to hi-jack the thread, but I would like to respond to the 'NRA doesn't want to rock the boat'. I would reply the NRA spent $40 million to defeat Obama, the GOA (for example) spent their time & effort saying 'McCain is a gun grabber'. What was more helpful? The NRA is certainly not perfect or infallible but are very effective by the enemies own admission. Do they have to pick their battles? To a degree, but that is not the same as compromise. I am an NRA Life/Endowment member so don't claim to be objective, but wouldn't hesitate to call them out if they veered off course.

I'm in total agreement.
NRA Life Member.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2009, 08:08:33 AM »
Sorry, guys, I really don't mean to bag on the NRA.  I really do think they're a great organization and I appreciate what they do for us, even if I don't always agree with the battles they do choose.

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2009, 10:32:28 AM »
bkoenig:

Not a problem.  "Bag" on anything you want, it's your opinion, right?  The NRA isn't everything I'd like it to be either, but without it, we'd probably be lucky if we could carry a straw and a pocket full of peas around town. :)
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline semtex

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2009, 06:17:15 PM »
I seriously hope this Medlock individual was prepared for this encounter. That is, he is well versed on the case law and the ordinances set in Omaha.

There are plenty of people who get screwed by stupid laws and legislation, but if Medlock is willing to take it the distance, he could do some serious good for all Nebraska residents and the Second Amendment.
?Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win." - Sun Tzu

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2009, 06:51:37 PM »
We need to stand behind this individual and let the liberals in Omaha know they can't take away second amendment rights just because they are in city limits. Omaha has way too much power in this state and they only make up 1/4 to 1/3 of the population. They need an attitude adjustment and a reality check. 

1000 NFOA members outside the courthouse on his trial day might say something.
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2009, 08:08:49 PM »
I'm willing to join in.  Let's get something planned.  Do we even know when he would be going to court yet?  I haven't heard anything else on this story.

-Rod

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2009, 09:19:03 PM »
If he was cited for not having his gun registered or not having a permit to carry openly (or concealed), I would not have a problem with NFOA throwing our support behind him with the goal to repeal the city ordinances requiring registration and permits to carry openly.  However, I still haven't heard for certain what OPD actually cited him for.  Perhaps he was brandishing his weapon, making threats to someone, or otherwise disturbing the peace with his behavior (aside from the simple fact that he was carrying).  If that were the case, then I don't think we should use him as our martyr for this cause.  Does anyone know yet what charges he actually faces?  Anyone know how to find out?
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline Dtrain323i

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2009, 08:17:51 AM »
If they NRA isn't interested, maybe Alan Gura would be up for it.

Offline rluening

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2009, 04:43:42 PM »
I emailed the reporter that wrote WOWT's "story" on this incident. It has since disappeared from the website.

He responded that Mr Medlock was cited because he had allowed his open carry permit expire, but continued to carry openly in protest of the requirement.

/rl

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2009, 06:41:32 PM »
I emailed the reporter that wrote WOWT's "story" on this incident. It has since disappeared from the website.

He responded that Mr Medlock was cited because he had allowed his open carry permit expire, but continued to carry openly in protest of the requirement.

/rl

Hmmmm...interesting.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2009, 07:14:24 PM »
Interesting how they didn't make that part of the story.

Sounds like this one could be a good challenge case.

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2009, 08:22:38 PM »
Hmmm..........Hopefully he has a ton of cash and a good lawyer that can convince the judge that Omaha is violating the Nebraska Constitution in regards to requiring open carry permits.

Offline eagle nest

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2009, 11:29:22 PM »
re: arrested in om for weapons carry-
   woner if we could get a few of omaha's finest to join our ranks,  they carry guns!

Offline wwhuskerman

• Former Nebraskans
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2009, 10:49:22 PM »
Excuse my ignorance, but what the hell is an "open-carry" permit? My understanding is that as long as your handgun is registered with the Omaha Police Department (which is another story)... Nebraska has NO laws against open carry.

Conceal carry, yes... you need a permit, but I've not heard of an "open carry" permit. Did I miss another one of the Benevolent City of Omaha Leader's un(state)constitutional provisions to protect us from ourselves?

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2009, 11:11:43 PM »
Yes, the city of Omaha requires a permit to open carry, you need to take a class from the National Safety Council then they will issue one (not certain of the cost) good for 3 years.  They also accept the Nebraska Concealed Carry permit as a substitute.

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2009, 12:11:16 AM »
Excuse my ignorance, but what the hell is an "open-carry" permit? My understanding is that as long as your handgun is registered with the Omaha Police Department (which is another story)... Nebraska has NO laws against open carry.

Conceal carry, yes... you need a permit, but I've not heard of an "open carry" permit. Did I miss another one of the Benevolent City of Omaha Leader's un(state)constitutional provisions to protect us from ourselves?

Omaha likes to be "special" and require all kinds of fun extra stuff of us that the rest of the state doesn't.

Offline wwhuskerman

• Former Nebraskans
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2009, 06:31:25 PM »
[Omaha likes to be "special" and require all kinds of fun extra stuff of us that the rest of the state doesn't.
[/quote]

And it all works sooooo well... just ask the law-abiding residents of North O (yes, there are a lot of them) how all the "fun extra stuff" is keeping them safe at night. ::)

Offline jimburnetto

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2009, 06:07:52 PM »
Anyone hear any follow up on this guy & how his case went (or is going)?