< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: arrested for omaha open carry  (Read 6611 times)

Offline jimburnetto

• NFOA Full Member
arrested for omaha open carry
« on: August 07, 2009, 02:12:00 PM »

http://www.wowt.com/news/headlines/52583382.html

A | A | A Omaha Police rush to the Gifford Park Neighborhood after a caller reported a man, walking his dog, and carrying a big gun. The call was made on Monday, August 3rd shortly after 5PM.

It did not take officers long to track down a suspect. When they approached the 51-year old man he had his dog on a leash, and had a silver handgun in a leather holster around his waist.

When officers approached the man he allegedly told them he carries the gun around town on a regular basis, and it was his way of making a political statement.

He then asked to speak to the officers' supervisor.

After speaking with an Omaha Police Sergeant, James Medlock, 51 was cited and released. His handgun was confiscated.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Re: arrested for omaha open carry
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 04:57:08 PM »
This should be an interesting one to follow.

On a related note, I wonder what ever happened to the guy that got arrested for having a shotgun in his truck near some school a few months ago?

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 08:25:55 AM »
What was he cited for, and why was the gun confiscated?

>:(

Omaha is such a hell hole. Gang bangers shoot each other every night, purse snatchers prey on women, convenience stores get robbed every night, and bank hold ups are old news, but we're going to cite a guy walking his dog for peacefully excersizing his Constitutional rights?

Police Sergent Medlock will be getting a phone call from me on Monday.

SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 09:07:46 AM »
While the article didn't say, I suspect that he either didn't have his gun registered in Omaha, or that he did not have a CHP, or both.  I'm not from Omaha, but I thought I read on this formum somewhere that even to carry openly in Omaha, one had to have a CHP.  Regardless, this is a travesty of justice, anyway you look at it (assuming he was not doing something else illegal at the time, such as brandishing his gun and threatening people or something).
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 09:15:09 AM »
Guys talking on the CCW Nebraska website were saying he was a former mayoral candidate and has been seen open carrying for quite some time. Yes Omaha requires people to get a permit from the Safety Council if they want to open carry. I have also heard you can carry openly with the CHP. However...this is what I posted over at http://ccwnebraska.yuku.com/topic/2845/master/1/?page=1

Well Omaha has banned firearms from city parks. The signs even say lawfully concealed weapons are not allowed either and only Law Enforcement is allowed to carry there. Was this a park? Or was it just a neighborhood? I wonder if in September when the new CHP law takes effect, people with CHP's can carry in the parks since the new law says that cities cannot regulate concealed carry if the person has a permit?

Hopefully our man James Medlock here has a ton of cash or the NRA to back him and we have a grand lawsuit against Omaha and its unconstitutional city ordinances regarding open carry (requirement to have an open carry permit), and their stupid no guns in parks rule. I would also like to see registration get tossed but that is probably just a dream of mine.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 09:15:39 AM »
The problem with the article is the lack of facts about why he was ticketed.  The average citizen reading this article is going to assume that openly carrying is illegal.  It's stupid little details like this that shows how the media works against us.  I'm willing to accept that sometimes that is unintentional on the part of the writer.  That does not make it acceptable to me.  Journalism doesn't exist any longer in the form it used to.  It's more about making a catchy headline than substance in the report.

-Rod

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 10:26:27 AM »
Rod:

Very good point.  The liberally biased news media, which seems to be most of it, does not serve the public well.  Whether intentional or not, leaving out key facts is poor journalism at best, and propaganda at worst.

DanClrk51:

It would appear from the reading of the CHP Act and 430, that Omaha, or any other entity, could still ban concealed carry in the parks if they are posted such as private property can be posted.  I'm amazed that the city of Omaha was able to pass any kind of ordinance on open carry in public.  On city property, such as a park, I can see where they could get away with it.  Those Omaha folks really need to get on the ball and get rid of the council members and mayor who promulgated such unconstitutional ordinances.  Without knowing more about this particular case, it's hard to say.  I would, however, love to see it go to court and the Omaha ordinances be declared invalid such as in the DC vs Heller case.
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 10:28:06 AM »
Is it possible to get a copy of the police report in few days? If we had all the facts, and he was only breaking an unconstitutional law, and all of us contacted the NRA, maybe we could help this guy out with a major lawsuit against Omaha and have their ordinances declared unconstitutional.   

Omaha, the place where you need a gun the most, and the hardest place to legally carry.
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.

Offline SBarry

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 10:31:38 AM »
A&H, these last posts were scary similar, I am a slow typer.

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 10:37:02 AM »
A&H, these last posts were scary similar, I am a slow typer.

LitlRat:

You lost me on that one?

Offline SBarry

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 10:43:08 AM »
I took a few minutes to type that out, didn't see your post, but we hit on the same points.

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 11:09:49 AM »
Oh, okay LitlRat.  We may have been posting at the same time.  Indeed, it would be quite interesting if we could get a court battle going over Omaha and it's gun-phobia-inspired laws.  :)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2009, 08:40:06 PM »
I'd like to see the NRA get involved, but it seems like they're not too interested in rocking the boat anymore.  They wanted nothing to do with Heller until it looked like the case was winnable.  I think it's up to grass roots organizations like NFOA to lead the charge, but unfortunately lawyers are not cheap.

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2009, 10:59:37 PM »
The NRA belongs to its members every bit as much as NFOA does.  If you are a member, don't be afraid to contact them and tell them what you think they should be doing.

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2009, 10:33:57 AM »
I met this guy at the tea party in downtown Omaha. I gave him one of our flyers and got into a little conversation with him. He's a little odd but seemed like a good guy. Hope he get's out of this mess. Omaha is a real pain in the ass.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2009, 10:39:28 AM »
James Medlock signed up on this forum, but has never posted.  Not sure if he is a NFOA member or not.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2009, 12:26:56 PM »
You've got to wonder if the news team showed the holster and pistol at Medlock's request, or because they wanted to show Omahans what a "scary sumbich" he was.  ;D

Offline SBarry

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2009, 01:38:46 PM »
I met this guy at the tea party in downtown Omaha. I gave him one of our flyers and got into a little conversation with him. He's a little odd but seemed like a good guy. Hope he get's out of this mess. Omaha is a real pain in the ass.

I've got news for you Huskergun, we're all a little odd. Some are just a little odder than others. He may have gone further without the revolver, as he seems to fit in with the liberal look in Omaha.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2009, 03:22:27 PM »
The NRA belongs to its members every bit as much as NFOA does.  If you are a member, don't be afraid to contact them and tell them what you think they should be doing.

I agree with you there, I just don't think they're very responsive to their members (and I am one).  I get the impression they're scared to rock the boat.  I'm definitely hoping they'll get involved, I'm just not holding my breath.

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2009, 04:13:49 PM »
bkoenig:

FYI.  I wrote to the NRA through their web site regarding their stance on using the Sotomayor confirmation votes as part of their political candidate ratings.  The news I had read indicated they were not sure if they would let confirmation votes affect their ratings or not, and I wanted them to in order to help oust those like Nelson who voted to affirm.  I was surprised to receive a response the very next day.  They assured me they had already made the decision to include confirmation stance as part of the ratings.  I'm sure they had already made that decision prior to receiving my suggestion, but I was pleasantly surprised to get such a quick response.  I don't know if the entire message was personally written to me, or if it was a boilerplate letter they sent to anyone with a similar inquiry.  Either way, they cared enough to respond in a timely fashion.