< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: So sent Cheif Peshong a e-mail....  (Read 11675 times)

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
So sent Cheif Peshong a e-mail....
« on: November 18, 2013, 10:18:46 AM »
 I posted this topic in a hometown forum on another site. Rick asked if he could repost it on here to see what everyone would say. I told him I would do it since I never said Hello after signing up last month. If this isn't the correct place for the topic mods can you please relocate it.

I have been trying to keep up with what is all going on with the 41P stuff and I was on theguntrustlawer blog and was reading some of Goldman's articles. He had a forum letter to send to your CLEO. So I thought what the hell... I knew the answer to the letters question but I figured why not see what he had to say about it. So here is our string of e-mails.

What do you guys think... should I answer back with a simple thank you for responding or should I do some research on facts about NFA related crimes and inform him how I feel about his stance when it comes to NFA weapons? Like I said I was expecting a no but I was not expecting his explanation. It sounds like he is a little more worried about his future political appeal then anything else.

Dear Chief Peschong:

I am a resident of Lincoln and was wanting to purchase a Suppressor. I
understand that the ATF is proposing changing the CLEO certification
and was wondering if you will are going to sign the CLEO certification
as is being proposed by the ATF.

Do you sign Form 4s currently?

If, indeed, you do not sign any Form 4s for the purchase of a noise
suppressor, I must ask whether you anticipate changing that practice
in light of ATF's proposal to change the wording of the certification.
Currently the Form 4 asks you (or another chief law enforcement
officer) to certify that you have "no information indicating that the
receipt or possession of the firearm would place the transferee in
violation of state or local law or that the transferee will use the
firearm for other than lawful purposes." ATF proposes to change the
Form 4 so as to request that you (or another chief law enforcement
officer) certify that you have "no information indicating that
possession of the firearm by the transferee would be in violation of
state or local law."

If you do anticipate that you will sign a Form 4 with the revised
certification language, I may well wait to purchase a noise suppressor
until ATF completes the revision.

Thank you in advance for your attention to this matter.

Sincerely,

Trevor Stuart

Response
Jim Peschong

Mr. Stuart, This is not something that I am willing to sign.

Nov 14 (1 day ago)

My response
Jim Peschong
3:59 PM (2 hours ago)

Chief Peschong

Thanks for your response. May I ask why you will not sign the form?

Thanks

Todays Response.

Mr. Stuart,

Unfortunately there has been a lot of carnage as a result of assault rifles and high capacity weapons for several years. This has brought on a lot of focus as to the real purpose for these types of weapons and a large debate as to whether or not there should be more regulation of them. Also, there are always a lot of questions as to how individuals got possession of these weapons. I view “suppressors” to also be an item that will bring a lot of questions into play if one would be used in killing someone or several people. I chose not to become the center of attention by signing such paperwork. I do not know you. I have no idea as to how you plan to use these, store them, secure them, etc. For all I know you may not even believe that if a suppressor was used on a weapon in an active shooter incident you may not see anything wrong with this.

For these reason, I chose not become involved in facilitating your application.

Jim Peschong

Chief of Police

I am also open to suggestions for a response. I don't want to be to witty I am not looking at starting a war but would like to give a good reply!

I would also like to Add I have sent the same letter to Colonel Sankey and Lt. Franks of the State Patrol and Sheriff Wagner through the agencies websites. I have not received reply's from any of the three.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: So sent Cheif Peshong a e-mail....
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 10:26:54 AM »
It disappoints me that he would have such narrow views.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 10:42:49 AM »
He is likely opposed to mufflers on cars too, as they may be used on getaway vehicles.  :(

Not at all surprised by the answers, but thank you very much for contacting him and posting the responses.

We need to educate him on what the signature means. 

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 11:01:05 AM »
He is likely opposed to mufflers on cars too, as they may be used on getaway vehicles.  :(

Not at all surprised by the answers, but thank you very much for contacting him and posting the responses.

We need to educate him on what the signature means. 

Well then if that is the case I will open the headers on my mustang  ;D

How should I go about educating him? I am doing a lot of reading and I am learning a lot but I am really new to NFA. It seems like he doesn't really care about what his signature means he cares what the media will make his signature look like IF something would ever happen with a NFA item.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 11:06:00 AM »
Another question for the group has anyone in Lincoln, Lancaster county or else where in the state (state level signatures) ever been successful in receiving a signature from any of the following people?

Sheriff
Chief of Police (State)
City, county, state DA
State judge

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 12:30:47 PM »
It seems like he doesn't really care about what his signature means he cares what the media will make his signature look like IF something would ever happen with a NFA item.

Bingo.

Solution: Make the costs (political and public eye) of being not willing to sign, outweigh the incredibly minute risks in signing. Target sheriffs (because they are directly elected) with "covert" letter and email campaigns, indicating you will take steps to challenge their position by supporting and encouraging others to support their opponents in the next election cycle. This is both an attempt to threaten their political position as well as actually convince them to change their minds using classic debate points (noise pollution, second amendment, hearing protection)

Why covert? (without the negative connotation) Because an overt campaign with this motivation will attract backlash from the general public, whose knowledge of suppressors comes from "Boondock Saints" and other such less-than-accurate sources. This campaign would need to be kept in farely closed circles, such as on this forum, at gun shows, and other conducive environments.

So what should be done exactly? Well, here is a rough outline:

1.) Is to form a list of all the Sheriffs in Nebraska, and then sort the list by
"Will they sign off? Yes / No / Sometimes / Maybe / Unkown"

1a.) Publish the list. I would be willing to bet the rest of the board would be more than willing to put such a list on the NFOA site.

2.) Use that list to evaluate one-to-three politically vulnerable sheriffs.

2a.) Do they have an opponent in the upcoming election?
2b.) Would their opponent sign off if he/she were elected?

3.) Launch covert campaign against vulnerable targets. The NFOA and NFOA-PAF has some resources to help out with this, including emails and funding, but the biggest one would be YOU the member.

3a.) Help out their opponents, spread the word amongst gun-friendly folks in the target's area about their position, etc.
3b.) Even if you cannot dislodge the current sheriff, you may get him to feel politically threatened enough to quietly change his policy on NFA sign off.

The million dollar question. The NFOA has limited resources in manpower, being 100% volunteer, so:

Who would be willing to work on step number 1?

I, for one, don't have time, and would have severely conflicting interests in this arena, but we could certainly form a committee to coordinate with the BoD and NFOA-PAF to get the ball rolling (assuming they would be on board, but I can't imagine why they wouldn't be)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 01:16:39 PM »
2a.) Do they have an opponent in the upcoming election?
2b.) Would their opponent sign off if he/she were elected?

Unfortunately, comrade Peschong is not an elected official.  He is assigned by a like minded (read narrow minded) government official...the Mayor.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 01:28:12 PM »
Unfortunately, comrade Peschong is not an elected official.  He is assigned by a like minded (read narrow minded) government official...the Mayor.

Fly

I did some looking and Wagner ran unopposed for the last 4 elections.... looks like no one else wants his job? Wagner is up for reelection again this year but no one has stepped up against him. I just sent him another e-mail to his actual e-mail address See if I get anything back now.

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 01:48:14 PM »

Fly

*Sigh*

Target sheriffs (because they are directly elected)

I know, please read the post in its entirety.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 02:09:56 PM »
I know, please read the post in its entirety.

Well you were obviously typing faster than I could read.  Slow down a little!  ;D

My bad.  :-[

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 02:16:55 PM »
Do we have an NFOA member that can run for sheriff, just to get a name on the ballot? Who lives in that area  :)

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 02:29:34 PM »
Wow Wallace that's a hell of a game plan. That is going to take a pretty good group of dedicated people. I don't have the time that is probably needed to make it happen but I would be willing to help as much as I could.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 03:19:40 PM »
Do we have an NFOA member that can run for sheriff, just to get a name on the ballot? Who lives in that area  :)

I nominate Dan Walz, it's not like he does anything in his spare time anyway...   ;)

EDIT:  Washington county - Sheriff Mike Robinson - happily signs for NFA items.   8)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 03:44:35 PM »
I nominate Dan Walz, it's not like he does anything in his spare time anyway...   ;)

EDIT:  Washington county - Sheriff Mike Robinson - happily signs for NFA items.   8)

But what I understand Sheriff Robinson can not sign my form since he is not my CLEO...Correct?

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 03:49:18 PM »
correct.  you have to live in Washington County for such luxuries. 

i posted on the arfcom thread.  i look forward to see you getting other CLEO responses.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2013, 03:49:31 PM »
So Sheriff Wagner replied to me very quickly almost immediately with

"As a rule I do not sign Form 4s. I'll have to wait and see the final language of the proposed ATF form 4 CLEO signature line before I give you a definitive answer."

I asked him why he doesn't and I have not got a reply. See what he says

Offline RedDot

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 06:58:16 PM »
Bob Kerrey said he'd do it if he can stay over at your house :P

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2013, 07:43:00 PM »
Anybody have the email for the head of the state patrol? I cant seem to find his direct email.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2013, 09:05:42 PM »
The only County I am aware of in Nebraska that folks cannot get a Form 4 signed is Lancaster County.  If there are others, I hope the posts here and on Arfcom will bring that information to light.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2013, 03:51:18 PM »
The only County I am aware of in Nebraska that folks cannot get a Form 4 signed is Lancaster County.  If there are others, I hope the posts here and on Arfcom will bring that information to light.

Soo.... I think this is pretty much going to be a fight for those of us in Lancaster county.

I had a member on ARFCOM say let it be until after 41P is put into effect. He says instead of every supporter in Lancaster county sending letters and flooding them. He recommended we become a collective group and push after we know what is going to happen with the new ATF rules.

How much support can Lancaster County Muscle?