< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Tentative: Precision Rifle Workshop- Spring 2014  (Read 1134 times)

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
Tentative: Precision Rifle Workshop- Spring 2014
« on: November 19, 2013, 12:30:27 PM »
I've had a few folks asking about this for a while, so just a heads up in case anyone here is interested. No date yet, but I'm looking at late Feb, early March. Details subject to change until I open registration.

What this is:
~2 hours of fundamental exercises and evaluation
~4 hours of KD and UKD targets
~2 hours of improvised shooting positions

6 shooters maximum @ $100/each

The intent of this workshop is to help the reasonably experienced precision rifle shooter to identify weaknesses in skill and technique, in order to create more proficient practical shooters. We will begin by testing and diagnosing any weaknesses within the fundamentals of marksmanship. We will then move on to developing and improving the student's understanding of external ballistics, firing rhythm, and skills and knowledge necessary for practical long range precision work. We will then spend the remainder of time working on improvised positions and different support techniques.

What this is not:
A beginner's course. We will not spend 30 minutes talking about DA versus raw data, I will not be holding your hand as you learn how to fill out a databook, or grasp the basics of external ballistics. The main purpose of this course is to help you identify problems and develop solutions. We may, or may not, have time and resources to actually implement and improve said solutions. Expect to be challenged, and expect my normal "there is no such thing as 'good enough'" attitude.

What you will need:
Center fire rifle with scope
*Scope must have adjustable turrets (You can turn the dials in the field)
*Be already zeroed
Hearing protection
Eye protection
Ammo
*200 Rounds Rifle
Method of ranging targets
*Laser Range Finder and/or Calculator for Mil-relation 
Plan for lunch
Rear bag
Appropriate clothing
*Wet and cold weather gear
Ability to carry 20 rounds of rifle on person

Prerequisites:
Shooter/rifle/ammo combo must be sub 1.5 MOA capable (if you don't know what that means, than this workshop is not for you)
Have a reasonable understanding of external ballistics and effects
Have a baseline ballistic algorithm, either from dope or ballistic calculator
Be able to modify your ballistic algorithm, ie, have your calculator on hand, or have blank databook sheets

Also recommended:
Databook
Scope level
Bipods
Muzzle Brake or Suppressor
Bag or pack for carrying gear
Water and snacks
Sling for rifle
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 12:41:34 PM by wallace11bravo »

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Re: Tentative: Precision Rifle Workshop- Spring 2014
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 01:09:11 PM »
So when, I must ask, is the Beginner Course?
 (I personally would need my hand held just to know what the databook is for. ;) )
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 01:11:56 PM »
I'm very interested.

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 01:16:58 PM »
I'm very interested... I just don't have a rifle, scope, accessories, experience...yet.  :(
My girlfriend is going to be wearing my next few rifles on her finger....grrrrr.

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 02:02:14 PM »
So when, I must ask, is the Beginner Course?
 (I personally would need my hand held just to know what the databook is for. ;) )

There will be an Intro to Precision rifle course sometime in March-April. That is the hand holding course (no homo)

I am also going to try to have at least one Marksman Rifle and another skillbuilder before the crops go in. I was wanting to have a couple of these this year yet, but DoD is sending me to an instructor development course for the duration of December.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 03:30:12 PM »
I'm very interested... I just don't have a rifle, scope, accessories, experience...yet.  :(
My girlfriend is going to be wearing my next few rifles on her finger....grrrrr.
Welp- been good knowin' ya!  Let me know when your gun come up for sell.   >:D

Wallace- keep us informed, after helping with the SAPPRC, I'm interested in learning more.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane