< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: IDPA Shooting is a real blast!!  (Read 3352 times)

Offline Dave67h

• Forum Member
IDPA Shooting is a real blast!!
« on: November 27, 2013, 12:42:55 AM »
Pun definitely intended. OnTheFly and I corresponded a little bit about aviation and he invited me to the IDPA match today, and USPSA tomorrow (which I will unfortunately not be able to attend) and I had a really great time. It's quite the adrenaline rush, and it seems like it would be a very good way to home your defensive shooting skills.

I came out around 6, put 50 rounds through the gun with the intention of proving to myself I actually can hit something. After that I did a new shooter orientation, and listened through a couple of safety briefings.  My goal for the night was to not come in last, and I gave the cardboard commies heck. I actually got to shoot twice, and my time improved significantly the second time although it ended up slower because I shot a hostage (tis' only a flesh wound) I met my goal (didn't come in last) had fun, and made some new friends. There are many shooters there (Greg included - he's one heck of a pistoleer) who I could learn a whole lot from. Thank you very much for inviting me and providing feedback. I'll definitely become a regular.

So in summary-

If you like making new friends, shooting guns, and learning, you should definitely come to Big Shots on Tuesdays at 7!!

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
Re: IDPA Shooting is a real blast!!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 05:06:42 AM »
Pity it's always on a school night and it's so far away.  :( 

The one time I got to participate, it was fun.
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 07:09:03 AM »
Lorimor, IDPA Nebraska will be having its first OFFICIAL local match at Thunder Alley on 7 December.  Sign up time begins at 0730, walk through 0745 and match to begin at 0800.  Rumor has it your old Texan, Navy compadre will be there....

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 11:14:09 AM »
When I showed up last night I only expected to see one new shooter, Dave, but I was surprised to see five.  Everyone did a great job and all were receptive to our input.  I'm hoping that everyone had a good time and will continue shooting in the action pistol sports. 

I can't speak for the others, but I think Dave has the sickness now.  ;D

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 05:18:17 PM »

Lorimor, IDPA Nebraska will be having its first OFFICIAL local match at Thunder Alley on 7 December.  Sign up time begins at 0730, walk through 0745 and match to begin at 0800.  Rumor has it your old Texan, Navy compadre will be there....

See you there. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 07:04:39 PM »
Lorimor, IDPA Nebraska will be having its first OFFICIAL local match at Thunder Alley on 7 December.  Sign up time begins at 0730, walk through 0745 and match to begin at 0800. 

Just to make sure---you meant in the morning, right?  Because if it is in the morning, I can actually MAKE IT to one of these, for once!  (I teach a class Tuesday nights, so I can't make those.)

Granted, that does mean getting up a little early....  :(
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 07:25:20 PM »
Yes...A.M....."Ante Meridian"....morning time....sorry still use Navy time ...

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 11:18:49 PM »
Yes...A.M....."Ante Meridian"....morning time....sorry still use Navy time ...

Not a problem---I figured the 0800 and 0730 was clear enough, except for I've run into a couple of people recently who apparently don't understand military time, and have used "0800" when they meant "2000". 

They thought putting the 0 in front of 8 o'clock still meant it could be in the evening.  [sigh]

One stage?  Multiple stages?  Ideas on round count?

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 01:21:26 AM »
So just to be clear...is that 1330Z?

Fly

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 07:16:46 AM »
Yes Fly.....(wise "acre" pilots... :) )
jt I will have Aldo post the details, but 2 stages for now
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 07:19:45 AM by bullit »

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2013, 07:58:54 AM »
Okay, to clear it up, sign up commences at 7 bells.  All guns manned and ready at 8 bells.

Jeez!  Landlubbers!

:)

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2013, 09:15:42 AM »
The Admiral hath spoken....Fellas...see the shooting sports section...Aldo has info posted there

Offline Sotex

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2013, 10:35:38 PM »

Any clue what time it might be over?  I'd love to participate, but have to be @ work (2 hours away) by 1500. 

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2013, 07:37:35 PM »
We'll be done by 1100.  TA has to open for regular business

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2013, 08:36:04 PM »
Action shooting in any form, whether IDPA, USPSA, or some sort of outlaw match, is a hoot.  More people need to try it.  Beats the pants off of plinking away at a stationary paper target.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2013, 10:18:31 PM »
Action shooting in any form, whether IDPA, USPSA, or some sort of outlaw match, is a hoot.  More people need to try it.  Beats the pants off of plinking away at a stationary paper target.

I know...right?! I went to a few matches with a friend.  High power rifle, RYG, did some (very little) trap and skeet, but THEN my friend took me to one of the action pistol matches.  Holy hand grenades batman!  What fun!

And what a better pistol shooter it has made me.  Mind you, I'm not that good, but I am WAY better than I was before I started the action sports.  Before, I could barely hit the target standing still.  Now I can move (slowly) AND get hits (most of the time).  Something I wouldn't have dreamed of a few years ago.

Come out and try it folks.  It is a humbling experience, but it will motivate you to become better AND have fun in the process.

Fly
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 10:20:33 PM by OnTheFly »

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2013, 07:41:17 AM »
Any clue what time it might be over?  I'd love to participate, but have to be @ work (2 hours away) by 1500. 

Just tell Bullit you're DiFi's nephew.  That carries a lot of weight with him. 

:)

Offline Aldo

• Ever vigilant. Ever ready. Ever willing. www.everreadyccw.com
  • NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2013, 11:05:05 PM »
One stage?  Multiple stages?  Ideas on round count?

Two stages, my friend. 18rds/stage. If ya bring 4 loaded mags: 10 rds each...oh, and ya can start 10+1 with the "load and make ready" command with the first mag :) , then you can do the 2 stages consecutively (obviously after the first is scored and pasted). If ya bring only 2 mags, then we'll have ya just step back a couple of spots in line while ya load up the mags and get back into the que, or ya can choose to wait and let everyone else go first and just kabutz with the rest of the folks in the front room area.

There's basic info about it at https://www.facebook.com/idpanebraska and http://www.idpanebraska.com/

Depending upon the numbers and timing of folks showing up, we may have more than one briefing; so if there are Saturday morning sleepers like there can be with Rock N Thunder matches, they can come in a bit later and wait till there's enough folks for one of the SOs to do another briefing.

Hope that helps.

P.S. There is an "IDPA 101" course (class and range) on Thursday evening, December 7, 6:00-8:00pm, but knowing your skills and expertise, you won't need it  ;)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 11:14:36 PM by Aldo »
www.everreadyccw.com
"Always remember that you are Americans, and it is your birthright to dream great dreams in this sweet and blessed land, truly the greatest, freest, strongest nation on Earth." -- Ronald Reagan

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2013, 11:19:10 AM »
Two stages, my friend. 18rds/stage.

Still hoping to make it down.  Currently, it looks like a "yes"....

P.S. There is an "IDPA 101" course (class and range) on Thursday evening, December 7, 6:00-8:00pm, but knowing your skills and expertise, you won't need it

Hey, different sport, different rules.  I just have to teach a class on Thursday nights, so I can't make it down, otherwise I would have.  I have been reading the IDPA rulebook pretty thoroughly, though.  (Amusingly enough, in IDPA I can't wear my normal competition gear, obviously---but I also can't wear my normal carry gear, either, because appendix carry isn't allowed!)  I've got a setup that I can use, though, including a shoot-me-first vest :) so I should be good to go.

Offline Aldo

• Ever vigilant. Ever ready. Ever willing. www.everreadyccw.com
  • NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2013, 11:16:11 PM »
Still hoping to make it down.  Currently, it looks like a "yes"....

Hey, different sport, different rules.  I just have to teach a class on Thursday nights, so I can't make it down, otherwise I would have.  I have been reading the IDPA rulebook pretty thoroughly, though.  (Amusingly enough, in IDPA I can't wear my normal competition gear, obviously---but I also can't wear my normal carry gear, either, because appendix carry isn't allowed!)  I've got a setup that I can use, though, including a shoot-me-first vest :) so I should be good to go.

It will be good...no, scratch that...it will be great to have you participate! With you being an excellent shooter, learner, and teacher, your participation will help to not only set the bar on the range but to also provide IDPA Nebraska some positive critique to that we can improve our venue for the participants.

You will find this Saturday's Course of Fire rather elementary, but I promise you that based on past experience with our Course of Fire designs, we will build upon these foundational blocks of the early matches to ones that will be more challenging, especially as the shooters learn and get used to the IDPA concept.

Looking forward to seeing you!!!
www.everreadyccw.com
"Always remember that you are Americans, and it is your birthright to dream great dreams in this sweet and blessed land, truly the greatest, freest, strongest nation on Earth." -- Ronald Reagan