< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: AR15 jam  (Read 3037 times)

Offline maanbr

• NFOA Full Member
AR15 jam
« on: August 12, 2009, 12:08:40 AM »
Had this one occur in an AR15 a few weeks ago.  The ejecting brass got stuck above the bolt after firing.  Any idea what would cause this.  Been firing these weapons for 12yrs now and have never seen it.  Got it cleared by pushing a screwdriver against the bolt face/carrier to the rear.  Pulling the charging handle just makes it worse.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: AR15 jam
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 09:03:59 AM »
Seen one like that once back in the military, extractor spring was weak and the extractor was extreamly dirty and not able to freely move.  We removed the extractor cleaned it and it's seating area and replaced the spring and it worked fine after that.

Offline maanbr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 10:13:54 AM »
The weapon was clean, and I fired a couple more mags after I cleared it without a problem.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 11:48:05 AM »
I've heard(on AR15.com) about that happening, but never seen it myself.  I'd search there for possible causes and solutions.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 10:35:15 PM »
I am guessing something like the extractor loses it's grip on the case just before the neck  clears the chamber. The fired  case has enough inertia to continue to the rear, when the neck hits the edge of the chamber, and forces the base of the spent case to go high in the rear, and it holds there just long enough for the bolt to move back toward battery, where the cussing begins, as the bolt wedges the base  above the bolt
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 10:58:41 PM »
were you shooting pretty rapidly?

in a somewhat unrelated case, my Ruger MKIII (22LR) will sometimes not eject the old casing when i shoot it really fast.  but thats a pistol and smaller cartridge.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline maanbr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 12:38:46 AM »
No, not rapid firing.  Just a standard paced target shooting rate of fire.
I was thinking more along the lines of what Dan had posted.  Just wondering if anybody else had seen this malfunction and what the cause was.

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 08:17:15 AM »
What kind of extractor setup do you have?  XP spring?  Black or blue insert?  O-ring or D-fender present?  How many rounds on the extractor and spring?
NRA Life Member.

Offline f1fanatic

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 11:42:52 AM »
My guess is a fouled ejector. Possibly a weak spring. My RRA never came with an O-ring and hasn't had any problems but I'm thinking of installing one anyway with an upgraded spring.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 10:58:38 PM »
If it ain't broke......
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline semtex

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 10:52:00 PM »
Fix it before it breaks. Especially if you want to use that weapon for anything but "target practice."
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Extractor-Spring-Uprade-Kit-p/bcm%20extractor%20spring%20upgrade.htm
?Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win." - Sun Tzu

Offline semtex

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 11:10:05 PM »
OP, a simple test to see if it is a gas system issue is:
Load one round in the mag. Fire. Did the bolt lock back? If not you probably have a gas problem.

Also Check:
- FSB for wobble
- Gas tube for propper fit and deformities
- Gas rings on bolt
- Carrier key: screws tight and staked? And loosness in carrier key?

If the gas system is good to go, then I would look at the ejection systems.
?Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win." - Sun Tzu

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 07:13:44 PM »
Any updates on this? Has the problem occured again?

Offline maanbr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 10:56:12 PM »
Haven't fired it lately, but the few mags I ran through it after the jam had no problems.  I honestly think it was just one of those random jams.  I was just wondering the cause of it and how many others had seen the same type of one as I hadn't in 12yrs of shooting AR's/M16's.

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 11:28:37 PM »
Glad it seems to have fixed itself. I would suggest, if it happens again, you do what one of the other members suggested and make sure your extractor spring and o-ring are strong enough and if not purchase Bravo company's 'extractor upgrade'. They make great parts.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2009, 08:36:23 AM »
With the fact that it has not happened again after firing several more Mags through it my guess is you are right it's just one of those random things that happen, may have been the extractor did not grab correctly, could have been a light load could have been a lot of things but it does not appear to be anything is wrong with the rifle.

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2009, 08:39:16 AM »
With the fact that it has not happened again after firing several more Mags through it my guess is you are right it's just one of those random things that happen, may have been the extractor did not grab correctly, could have been a light load could have been a lot of things but it does not appear to be anything is wrong with the rifle.

Yeah that's definitely a possibility. What kind of ammo was it? If it was Wolf or one or the cheaper brands I wouldn't be surprised at all. (No offense to those that shoot wolf but it is one of the lower rung ammos)

Offline maanbr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2009, 12:53:56 PM »
It was Fed. American Eagle 55gr FMJ.
Thanks for the answers.