< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Omaha Senator Mike Friend will lead Office of Violence Prevention  (Read 2941 times)

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Omaha Senator Mike Friend Takes State Job   
Friend will lead Office of Violence Prevention
Posted: 10:53 AM Aug 12, 2009
Last Updated: 10:53 AM Aug 12, 2009
Reporter: Associate Press

A | A | A

Sen. Mike Friend of Omaha is leaving office to become the first director of the new Nebraska Office of Violence Prevention.

On Wednesday, Gov. Dave Heineman announced the appointment of Friend. Friend begins his new job on Monday.

Heineman will appoint someone to serve out the remainder of Friend's current term, which ends next year.

Friend was first elected in 2002 and re-elected in 2006.

The Office of Violence Prevention is part of an anti-crime package passed during the last session of the Legislature.

Friend is a Republican who represents Omaha's 10th District in the officially nonpartisan Legislature.

Find this article at:
http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/53044192.html

Also at:  http://www.kmtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=10891816

Edit:  So, Mike Friend introduced LB63 that created the "office of violence prevention", and then the Governor appoints him as Director?   Wow!! wish I could create a .gov job for myself.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 12:39:30 PM by FarmerRick »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Omaha Senator Mike Friend will lead Office of Violence Prevention
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 12:24:03 PM »
http://www.nebraskalegislature.gov/FloorDocs/Current/PDF/FN/LB63.pdf

The Crime Commission estimates the cost to operate the Office of Violence Prevention (OVP) as follows:

FY2009-2010                FY2010-2011
ITEMS                   Expenditures
Director      70,000                        70,000
Benefits      25,433                        25,433
Other           4,567                          4,567
Total        100,000                       100,000

$70k per year plus bennies, not a bad gig(if you can create it!!)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 12:50:37 PM »
The office of violence prevention was added to a bill Friend introduced by the Judiciary Committee, it is what survived of Ashford's Operation Ceasefire attempt.  Freind has been one to us so perhaps he will keep this from become an Anti org.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 01:06:46 PM »
Yeah, I know he is supposed to be "pro-gun", it just all seems waaaaayyyy too convenient to me. 
Hopefully he'll do a good job and not suggest any more restrictions for us good guys.

Offline Jesse T

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • XD Shooter
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 01:18:33 PM »
Wow yeah he sure created himself a cushy job there I'd say. 

Seems fishy to me but what do I know, I'm paranoid.  I just imagine some shady backroom dealings with Friend and the crime commission director... "Hey if I can get this in on a bill can you make sure I get the job?" "Sure buddy you know I got your back" etc etc etc

I guess we'll see what he does for those 2 years if anything...
N0ZXR

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 03:33:51 PM »

The Crime Commission estimates the cost to operate the Office of Violence Prevention (OVP) as follows:

I am sure he will need an Assitant Director and a secretarty, too. Then there will be the office rent, car allowance, operating budget, travel expenses (lodging, meals, entertainment), etc. The office will probably be leased from a brother-in-law of somebody important. What exactly is this needed for? Your tax dollars at work, folks. Wonder who he had dirt on?

If someone has some good news about this, I would love to hear it.
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 04:17:57 PM »

I am sure he will need an Assitant Director and a secretarty, too. Then there will be the office rent, car allowance, operating budget, travel expenses (lodging, meals, entertainment), etc. The office will probably be leased from a brother-in-law of somebody important. What exactly is this needed for? Your tax dollars at work, folks. Wonder who he had dirt on?

If someone has some good news about this, I would love to hear it.

Well, I'd rather have him as Director than the "Cobra" or some other typical anti-gun moonbat.  But, that's about the extent of what I would call "good news".

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 04:49:11 PM »
What a waste of money!  You know this project is going to have to come up with some kind of new laws in order to justify its existence.  Gee, I wonder what kind of new laws might prevent violence?  How about everyone of age must own and carry at least one handgun at all times!
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 06:00:59 PM »
Let's hope they don't think they are the ATF, as the ATF creates their own laws out of the air. I think all they can do is recommend policy changes, submit reports to commitees, and of course give biased interviews to the media (or fair reports that the media can spin).

I am sure someone has the specifics or they are searching for them as we write.
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 06:22:43 PM »
"Well, I'd rather have him as Director than the "Cobra" or some other typical anti-gun moonbat.  But, that's about the extent of what I would call "good news". "

It is not good news at all: remember, people: political power administered by a bureaucracy is not a pendulum, swinging form left to right.  It's a ratchet, and it just tightens.....  This office will not end when this "not necessarily anti-gun" ex-Senator leaves, and who knows what kind a repalcement he'll have........

The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 08:41:53 PM »
 This will probably just turn into another Ceasefire type deal. We'll have little Chicago style community organizations with little Obamas (organizors) running around wasting our money and eventually local Lib mayors and state Senators (Assford) putting more restrictions on our rights. This is directed at Omaha's problems, (which are minimal compared to other cities of the same size). This is an overreaction to a problem that will not be solved unless parents start getting involved in their kids lives. This position will solve nothing. It will however create more crap that we the law abiding gun owners will have to deal with.
 Omaha is turning into a little Chicago folks with a whole lot of people from the coasts moving here. This means that thier anti gun attitude comes with them. We can not let these types of bills get through anymore.
 This one is going to screw us in the long run.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 07:38:19 AM »
From today's World-Herald: http://www.omaha.com/article/20090813/NEWS01/708139912/1009

...Sen. Brad Ashford of Omaha, chairman of the Judiciary Committee, praised the selection.

?We have the strongest leader we could possibly find,? he said.
?We are going to stop the shooting with Mike Friend running this thing.?

I know that Asshford is out of touch with reality, but holy cow!  "Magic" Mike is going to make the shootings stop?  What a joke!!!!

Wish I had some magical powers. ::)

Offline Jesse T

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • XD Shooter
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 09:21:36 AM »
hahaha
I like that "magic mike"

N0ZXR

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2009, 04:29:39 PM »
Haven't you heard about his approach?  He's going to go door to door in North Omaha and discuss a few things with the thugs and thuglets.  He is going to explain how they are mistaken about their image.  That the way they are using guns is cowardly, and to be seen as a real tuff guy they must use only their fists.  Drive by's are for pu**ies.

You know that will go over very well and will catch on quickly in the hood.  We will be the envy of every other city with gang violence.  Before you know it, you will only hear about black eyes and bloody noses overnight in Omaha.

: )

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2009, 07:39:12 PM »
I feel safer already. 
NRA Life Member.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2009, 10:49:24 AM »
If Ermie and Ben Gray are against him he gets my vote.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20090818/NEWS01/708189964

Offline wwhuskerman

• Former Nebraskans
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 08:59:26 AM »
Two things...

1. Hey Ernie... he's just as qualified for this position as you are for that sweet little "Learning Community" post you got appointed to following your last term in the Legislature. I seem to recall you had a pretty substantial role in that piece of crap legislation. When you get a minute, Ernie... could you send me your resume showing your public education credentials?  (Oooops... I dared question Ernie... I am now a racist.)

2. So it's being questioned by "government and north Omaha leaders?" First, I question the use of the word "leaders" in this context, but more importantly... why just "north Omaha...?" Why not west Omaha, south O, etc...? Rhetorical, I know, but just askin'...

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 12:01:55 PM »
I'm not sure why Gray is against this appointment, unless he wanted it himself.  His own efforts on addressing the issue don't appear to have worked.  Gray seems to be the one we need to worry about the most on the city council too.