< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Guns Save Lives Billboard Sightings  (Read 3992 times)

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Guns Save Lives Billboard Sightings
« on: December 06, 2013, 08:24:59 AM »
I saw my first Guns Save Lives billboard (in person) this morning on my way in to work.  I was headed in a little early.  Traffic was light and I had a chance to look around a little more than usual.  Sure enough, just north of Industrial Road on Bob Boozer ... there it was, big as life.  Nice!

So, who else has seen one?  Were you able to (safely) get a picture?  I'm going to try to get a pic later today.  Anyone had friends or family see one and had it start a conversation about how guns save lives?

Did you know that the NFOA was running a Guns Save Lives billboard campaign?

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Guns Save Lives Billboard Sightings
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 08:36:01 AM »
Just curious as to when this advertising campaign was discussed by the BOD and/or the members.....in reviewing past BOD minutes I don't see anything about it.  Not against the idea, but I second Farmer Rick's past comments on better COMMs with members..... and if I missed reading about the campaign please forgive me for being a horse's behind. 

Offline hangarflying

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 09:20:33 AM »
Heh. I started a similar thread in the off-topic area. The one I saw yesterday was from the west-bound lane of Blair High Road, right around 97th/Ida Street (just east of the Irvington/I-680 exit in Omaha).

EDIT: Nope, didn't know that NFOA was running a campaign until I saw the billboard.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 09:37:56 AM »
This campaign came together in November.  The meeting minutes for November won't be published until after they are approved in the December meeting next week.

So what do you think of the billboards?

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 10:31:58 AM »
This kinda all came together in a quick hurry. I am also one for more transparency in what the BoD does, but we had to move on this quickly in order to have the boards up, not only during the holiday season, but also to coincide with the National Guns Save Lives Day Campaign- jointly sponsored by pro gun groups, including the good ol NFOA!

National Guns Save Lives Day will be on Bill of Rights Day and is an effort to counter president Obama’s Organizing For Action exploitation of the anniversary to the tragic Newtown school shooting to push his anti-gun rights agenda - See more at:gunssavelivesday.com . So you see, we had to act fast.  Overhauling the design, finding and approving available locations, and amount of dollars to allocate took up enough time as it was.     And anyway, folks were wanting us to spend some of that War Chest we had built up- thanks to the generosity of our great members!

We wanted to make our contribution our own and came up with this original design that not only supported the ideals of NGSLD, but also also our own issues within our state.   ( Senator Christensen's Teacher Carry bill just happens to fall right into place - awesome timing). We can apply this to many legislative battles we may encounter.
Since things fell as they did, we ran a bit of a teaser on the FaceBook page with a contest , the first pic(s) posted with location won/wins a free Official NFOA T-Shirt.  So who was paying attention?  Situational Awareness? (I have already found all the Lincoln sites- of course I knew the locations so I was ineligible - I have to buy my own shirt :( )

How can you help make this campaign live up to everything we hope it can?
Right now we are asking our Social Media fans to change their Profile/ Cover photos to the sign.  As we all know from the Outlet Mall fiasco- we can make things go viral in a quick hurry. 
We need to push this all the way through to the holidays. 
This all makes for a great conversation starter with Friends, Family, Coworkers, etc.  Have the talk, urge them to check out the NFOA , join the conversations and share their stories with us. 
And if anyone would like to make an extra donation to help with the costs associated with this, by all means feel free to do so.

I'll throw this question out there: Who would like bumper stickers similar to the billboards?  What would you be willing to pay?  $2? $5?   Business owners- Would you be willing to sale these items with all monies coming back to the NFOA? 

“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 11:05:54 AM »
I was stopped at the light, EB Maple at 90th, yesterday and there is a billboard up on the east side of 90th, southbound.  Hard not to see it, very noticeable.
Thanks BOD

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 11:56:30 AM »
how many billboards are out there and where?
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline acn

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 11:56:34 AM »
 great billboard that is how i was able to find out and join the group  found the billboard in grand island

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 12:14:36 PM »
how many billboards are out there and where?

There are 12 scattered around the state: 4 in Omaha, 3 in Lincoln, 1 each in Bellevue, Kearney, Grand Island, Hastings, and Shelton.  We did the best we could at getting then scattered around.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 01:55:42 PM »
... and if I missed reading about the campaign please forgive me for being a horse's behind. 

There was some discussion of it on the Facebook page.  Admittedly, not all of the members frequent the Facebook page.  Nor do all of the members frequent these forums.  We're working on better communication.  In this case, as Jeremy indicated, we needed to move quickly to strike while the iron was hot.  Moreover, we thought this would make a nice holiday surprise for our members.  Your contributions at work!

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 03:52:34 PM »
I saw one on Hwy 2 in Lincoln the other day.  Obama Edition Priuses were bursting into flames when they got within 100 yards of the sign. 

"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 04:01:37 PM »
I saw one on Hwy 2 in Lincoln the other day.  Obama Edition Priuses were bursting into flames when they got within 100 yards of the sign. 

:)    That's awesome!

Offline Workman

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 06:47:26 PM »
I would be interested in a T-Shirt, if you're looking for other ways to advertise.  I dont know if that has been discussed/thought about though.  Speaking of, I need an NFOA shirt!

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 06:55:35 PM »
I would be interested in a T-Shirt, if you're looking for other ways to advertise.  I dont know if that has been discussed/thought about though.  Speaking of, I need an NFOA shirt!

Rod(that fellow that posted just before you) has a few in his shop.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 07:02:25 PM »
I looked at doing tshirts (other than the NFOA ones we already have) but just couldn't get anything to "look right"  with the billboard design.  Decided we would just stick with the ones we have, for now.  Maybe a new design in the future?

But yes, contact RLMoeller about shirts.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 07:05:02 PM by NE Bull »
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Workman

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2013, 07:11:17 PM »
Rod(that fellow that posted just before you) has a few in his shop.

Thanks!  Looks like you're just down the road from me.  Im a few miles west of Ft  Calhoun.

I looked at doing tshirts (other than the NFOA ones we already have) but just couldn't get anything to "look right"  with the billboard design.  Decided we would just stick with the ones we have, for now.  Maybe a new design in the future?

But yes, contact RLMoeller about shirts.

I gotcha.  I haven't seen the billboards yet, but I like the idea.  I think has it has potential for some pretty cool shirts,  in the hands of the right person with the right skills. 

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2013, 07:42:36 AM »
Awesome idea & I can't wait to randomly see the billboards....I'm gonna go find all of them in the Omaha area!

I am also going to make sure to get signed up as a paid member of the community! I just joined the NFOA & only recently began posting on the forum.

For a few weeks now, I've been saying I'm gonna donate some money & then something always pops up...
Now, seeing some pro 2nd amendment Action is Inspiring me..."to be in the giving spirit" of the holidays!

I'm off to work hours 56-64 for this week today....it feels good to support multiple families that don't work with all my overtime taxes...

Keep up the good work fellas!
The 2nd Amendment is not open for debate!

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2013, 08:12:22 AM »
Saw the sign at 90 and Maple, loved it.  Unfortunately, didn't see any Obama prius burst into flames; maybe next time :laugh: .I think that would make a nifty shirt. 

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2013, 11:39:35 AM »
Here's the one north of Industrial/Center on Bob Boozer.  You have to be driving south on Bob Boozer to see it.

No Priuses burst into flames during the taking of this photo.  LOL

Offline altheman2

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2013, 06:06:24 PM »
saw the one on highway 34 just a few miles north of Hastings. Great location, was not really looking and it did grab my attention