< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Daughter and handguns  (Read 1386 times)

Offline ranger04

• Valued Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
Daughter and handguns
« on: August 15, 2009, 07:52:30 AM »
My 26 yo duaghter and her husband and our grankids were visiting from Ohio this week. In the course of the discussion about our lives, (we had not seen each other for a few years) . She mentioned a "road rage"  incident that they had in Oklahoma. It seems that a driver of pick up had decided to mess with them on the road  at around 3:00 am. Both were pretty shook up about the incident and my daughter mentioned that the were thinking about getting a handgun for self defense. She told my wife this and my wife told me about this . This was a perfect time to go to the range. Nathan (my son in law) had shot a pistol before but my duaghter never had, we went to the range and after a safety lecture and  manual of arms we did some shooting . I gave them several books out of my gun library to read, and to really think about what they wanted the gun for, we dicussed firearms and kids (a 10yo and a 9 month old) and safety concerns there. My reccomendation was to go to a gun shop or two in Ohio, find a gun that fits well, shoot it and if it is liked, buy it and then get some training. I emphasised the need for regular shooting and practice (dry fire) They both shot my XD's 4" and 3" and did pretty well. Nate is a natural it seems. My daughter will need some practice  but for a first timer she did well.It was a great bonding experince and they seem to be well on their way to taking responsibility for their own safety.  It was a great time.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Re: Daughter and handguns
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 08:13:51 AM »
It's never "too late" to get someone familiar with handling and firing a gun...until it's too late.

Good for you!  ;D

I need to get my kids back out to shoot soon, myself.  If it ever stops raining on the weekends.  ::)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 09:31:58 AM »
When my daughter was about the same age, she indicated an interest in getting a handgun.  She's married to a naval officer who is frequently deployed to various parts of the world while she stays in VA Beach (near Norfolk) working as a CPA in a small firm.  She has three dogs (only had one at the time), but none of them would scare anyone off.  Anyway, I offered her one of my Ruger 9mms, but she wasn't sure if she really wanted to do it or not.  She was a little worried about being alone in a (then) strange place.  I didn't know how I'd manage to get the gun to her and show her how to use it from 2,000 miles away.  I didn't push her about it, either.  The talk finally faded away, and to my knowledge, she never got a gun.  This was about three years ago.  I wish she did have one and knew how to use it.  I know I'd feel better, at least. :)  I'm glad you (ranger04) brought this up.  I'll have to check with her and see if she ever did anything about it.
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 10:51:30 PM »
we dicussed firearms and kids (a 10yo and a......

What? The 10yo doesn't have his/her OWN gun yet?
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.