< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Public Out Door Shooting Facility in the Southeast  (Read 975 times)

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
Public Out Door Shooting Facility in the Southeast
« on: December 12, 2013, 10:09:48 PM »
I am sure it this has been beaten to death but what would it take to get a public shooting range like Hartland in between Omaha and Lincoln? I don't mind shooting pistols inside but rifles are no fun. I know the ikes is a option for people but not a real cost effective thing for me. I do have some area to shoot south of town but that is not always available because of corps and cattle.

So NFOA could the Southeast pull off a Hartland Shooting Park?

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Re: Public Out Door Shooting Facility in the Southeast
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 11:07:33 PM »
Have you checked out the Heritage Shooting Park at Platte River State park?
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 12:56:57 PM »
Have you checked out the Heritage Shooting Park at Platte River State park?

Nope I did not know that was there. Looks like something that I would take my son too. I am more in the market for outdoor HP rife 1-6 hundred yards and some pistol ranges.

I guess my question is more for general conversation the I am looking. Does the game and parks or anyone else for that matter consider building anything?

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 02:54:22 PM »
We have a Committee working directly with the Game and Parks on "Sight in Ranges" on WMA land throughout the state.  We, the NFOA have donated $5000 toward the development of the first range and have pledged support in the way of policing trash and some minor maintenance of the site.
These are to be Self Serve ranges of 100 yards with steel gongs of various sizes and other backers for paper targets, most likely with concrete tubes or some other baffling devices, to make to as stupid proof as possible.  Depending on availability, there may be some shorter berms available for pistol shooting and kids .22 plinking.  The hold up comes from the initial bid for dirt work came in astronomically high, putting off the build in Osage WMA for this year.  The G&P is currently going hard on their Boosalis project here in Lincoln- a virtual YMCA for the shooting sports, so we have not heard any update as of late.

I hoped to post a link to the forum discussions here, but I can not seem to search it out.

Otherwise to shoot longer range and nice pistol bays, you are talking Eastern Nebraska Gun Club at Louisville or the Izaak Walton club near Bennett. 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 02:57:42 PM by NE Bull »
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane