< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: The Brady Campaign scores are out.  (Read 3202 times)

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
The Brady Campaign scores are out.
« on: December 13, 2013, 12:03:10 PM »
The best we could muster is a D  :'( ? Now come on, we can do better than that!
This time next year, I expect us to have pulled out a F!

I mean, lookit- all our neighbors have Fs.  Let take a good look at what they are doing, and buckle down and do better this next year!

http://bradycampaign.org/?q=2013-state-scorecard
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
Re: The Brady Campaign scores are out.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 12:16:28 PM »
I remember shortly after Obama was elected in 2008 there was a map of all of the counties of the US that broke them down by income, crime rate, murder rate, etc etc. I think the story would be much more telling if they broke that out for gun laws. I think it would paint the best picture of the ststaus quo. We all know urban areas drive up murder and crime rates and most urban areas, such as Omaha, have regulations above and beyond the state level. If they pealed this to the next level your F areas would have the lowest rates and your A areas would be slaughter houses. Maine, and Vermont would be outliers though...

Here's to flunking next year!!!
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 12:20:17 PM »
I'm disgusted that we didn't earn a F.

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 12:30:49 PM »
The DARK BLUE states are in the Top Ten states with the LOWEST GUN DEATH RATE.
Illinois gets a B and doesn't make that list?  I call BS! on that!

Something that has always really bothered me is the insane gun control in the original 13 Colonies in the North East- Talk about losing sight of your Heritage. Sad Sad Sad.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 01:54:02 PM »
The DARK BLUE states are in the Top Ten states with the LOWEST GUN DEATH RATE.
Illinois gets a B and doesn't make that list?  I call BS! on that!
<snip>

One thing the antigunners always do is include all gun deaths, including suicides and criminals killed by police or by citizens in self defense.  If you look at actual gun homicides the picture is MUCH different.

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 02:02:37 PM »
Oh, don't I know. It's amazing what folks can do with numbers.
I USED to be "the numbers don't lie". But these folks have learned how to be uber creative with them.
Maybe it was that calculus I din't take in high school. ???

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 02:19:09 PM »
The numbers don't lie, but the context they're presented in can be very misleading. 

If they were honest, using their own criteria they would consider Japan to be one of the most dangerous countries in the world, since their suicide rate is the highest in the world even though guns are virtually banned.  But the Brady's only care if someone commits suicide with a gun. 

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 03:51:13 PM »
We used to have an F, but they changed the grading rules and now I need to go after entirely different issues to get us back there.

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 05:23:51 PM »
Our handgun purchase permit is, I believe, what keeps us from flunking. They don't get that many of us like the way those kept us from having to do a background check with every 4473. Of course, I haven't had a purchase permit since I got my CHP.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 05:41:40 PM »
They don't get that many of us like the way those kept us from having to do a background check with every 4473.

What I like about it is that the Federal NICS system can go down or offline and I am not prevented from making a purchase or forced to stand in line waiting for an approval and bypasses all waiting periods. What I don't like is that local PD's can try and put more restrictions on the process , even in violation of the Federal and/or state laws that govern the issuance of the purchase permit. 

So, I would like to see it become optional to get pre -approval , or choose to go through NICS and the waiting period for each purchase.

That allows for a choice and lets those that believe the purchase permit is an infringement avoid that issue.

I think most would agree that working through the NICS system and waiting period is a much greater infringement than obtaining a purchase permit every 3 years or 5 years with a CHP
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline gwilly

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 05:47:01 PM »
Oh, don't I know. It's amazing what folks can do with numbers.
I USED to be "the numbers don't lie". But these folks have learned how to be uber creative with them.
Maybe it was that calculus I din't take in high school. ???

I used to have an old farmer as a neighbor who would always say, "Figures don't lie, but liars sure can figure."
That old guy was full of down-home-hands-on wisdom. I sure have missed him over the years!

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2013, 07:01:07 PM »
I used to have an old farmer as a neighbor who would always say, "Figures don't lie, but liars sure can figure."
That old guy was full of down-home-hands-on wisdom. I sure have missed him over the years!
Old Farmers rule!

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2013, 10:50:56 PM »

I know we can do it!!

Greg58
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 11:08:56 PM »

I know we can do it!!

Greg58

It's not over!  Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Gumby

• Powder Benefactor
  • Gentlemen, prepare to defend yourselves!
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2013, 05:20:17 AM »
Our handgun purchase permit is, I believe, what keeps us from flunking...

... yes, that's worth 3 points on their score card.  Eliminate the local regulations too (a 4 point Brady item) and we're "F" for sure.  8)

What I like about it is that the Federal NICS system can go down or offline and I am not prevented from making a purchase or forced to stand in line waiting for an approval and bypasses all waiting periods. What I don't like is that local PD's can try and put more restrictions on the process , even in violation of the Federal and/or state laws that govern the issuance of the purchase permit. 

So, I would like to see it become optional to get pre -approval , or choose to go through NICS and the waiting period for each purchase.

All I know is you're a pariah in this state if you're in the market for a long gun(s) and don't have a current "hand gun" permit or CHP.  (Just try buying a rifle at an auction or from a private seller, or finding someone to transfer that shotgun you found online).  Even in retail settings you're lowest caste.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2013, 11:10:14 AM »
All I know is you're a pariah in this state if you're in the market for a long gun(s) and don't have a current "hand gun" permit or CHP.  (Just try buying a rifle at an auction or from a private seller, or finding someone to transfer that shotgun you found online).  Even in retail settings you're lowest caste.

Obviously you have never heard about the "Gun Show Loophole"  ::)
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline depserv

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2013, 10:58:21 AM »
I am hugely disappointed that Nebraska only scored a D from the Brady Bigot Brigade (the KKK of gun control).  There should be enough patriots in this state for us to get an F-.  Do traitors like Chambers and Ashford really have that much influence?  What will it take to improve this poor grade we got?  More political action maybe? 
The liberal cult seeks destruction of the American Republic like water seeks low ground.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2013, 04:09:29 PM »
What will it take to improve this poor grade we got?  More political action maybe? 

Political action will help, getting people activated (on legislation) will also help.  Sometimes its also about getting the bills written just the right way.  There are a lot of tricks to playing in this game, it's a lot of strategy.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2013, 04:17:00 PM »
A massive amount of communication to our senators from their constituents wouldn't hurt, either....with 7,000 members we should be able to overflow their mailboxes when a pro-gun bill comes up.

If you already contact your senator regularly, great.  Now, get your friends and family to do it too.

Offline Burnsy87

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2013, 05:18:36 AM »
We used to have an F, but they changed the grading rules and now I need to go after entirely different issues to get us back there.

Let's get to it, boss.