< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: S&W Model 65 3" .357 Magnum  (Read 4979 times)

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
S&W Model 65 3" .357 Magnum
« on: January 13, 2008, 08:02:25 PM »

This is my wife's revolver, but I love to shoot it and actually carry it sometimes when I'm in a wheel gun mood, usually while hunting. Everything about this gun, the grip, weight, barrel length, balance, and trigger pull, just feels right.

The 3" K frame Magnum model 65 has been discontinued, much to the chagrin of many an S&W enthusiast, myself included, who feel this particular combination makes for one of the most practical carry guns around.

One downside to this sidearm is that the frames are not particularly great at holding up to high round counts of "hot" magnum loads. However, we, like many people, run mostly .38 specials and "lite" magnum loads through it and save the real hot stuff for carry and occasional practice and ammo cycling.

Many law enforcement agencies, including the FBI, utilized this model with great success, and good examples can still be found. If you're looking for a carry gun and prefer a revolver over an auto loader, then you won't be disappointed with a model 65.

Offline tony2112

• NFOA Full Member
Re: S&W Model 65 3" .357 Magnum
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 09:51:52 PM »
another good carry gun is the 19 2 1/2 inch model 357 p&r and holds up very well with full mag loads,