< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: A Gun Christmas  (Read 3997 times)

Offline Z3R0

• NFOA Full Member
Re: A Gun Christmas
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2014, 09:39:03 PM »
I finally got my VERY gunshy fiance shooting. Bought her an SR22 and the only regret I've had is the toll its taken on my surplus of .22  :laugh:  Shes actually interested in getting a membership to the local range out here and possibly looking into concealed carry classes with another female shooter shes made friends with.  I'm not a fan of .22 for self defense personally but when even a .380 scares her at this point I'll take what I can get.

Offline Dave1215

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2014, 02:49:06 PM »
Santa brought both the wife and I S&W MP 9mm Shields...  He added Pearson grip extenders to the 7 Mags and those went to the wife while he gave the 8 Mags to me.   

Well this weekend also got an extra Mag for each plus Tagua Gunleather IWB holsters for both.  Now to just get to the range.   (and the wife working on her technique of racking the slide).  So far really like the Shield.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2014, 04:02:17 PM »
I finally got my VERY gunshy fiance shooting. Bought her an SR22 and the only regret I've had is the toll its taken on my surplus of .22  :laugh:  Shes actually interested in getting a membership to the local range out here and possibly looking into concealed carry classes with another female shooter shes made friends with.  I'm not a fan of .22 for self defense personally but when even a .380 scares her at this point I'll take what I can get.
My mom packs a P22, and shoots it really well.  What good is a "Bigger Gun" if you can't keep it on target?  We did some research and the CCI Velocitors with the Speer hollow points have shown to actually open and do some effective damage.  (I know for a fact they make a mess out of the common rabbit)  I don't recommend these as regular range ammo, though, as they are HOT and and bit pricey.  I always thought a .22 Mag would be a nice next option. Sadly the semi auto options are few and quite bulky, but many revolver manufactures offer some nice options and Hornady makes Critical Defense rounds in .22 Mag. 
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Greybeard

• Bronze Benefactor
  • Live Free or Die!!
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2014, 09:35:47 AM »
Another problem that Linda and I have both dealt with is removal of the slide when cleaning our Glocks. I have struggles with coming up with an idea of how to develop a tool to hold those little boogers down on both sides, short of using vise grips. Turns out that there is a tool for that: http://www.glockstore.com/slide-removal-tool Ordered two of them. 
WØCHF

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2014, 09:58:12 AM »
Another problem that Linda and I have both dealt with is removal of the slide when cleaning our Glocks. I have struggles with coming up with an idea of how to develop a tool to hold those little boogers down on both sides, short of using vise grips. Turns out that there is a tool for that: http://www.glockstore.com/slide-removal-tool Ordered two of them.

Try using a scrap of an inner tube or even a pair of cheap "mechanic's style" gloves to enhance the grippage.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline RedDot

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2014, 06:00:11 PM »
Good idea! Wife has same problem with her S&W SD9 (Swock). Thanks for the tip!

Offline Dave1215

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2014, 07:15:46 PM »
Took the bride to the range over lunch to shoot the Christmas present for the first time....did great....now more range time and working on her technique to get over the racking issue.....now have a new place to go on dates.