< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Went to walmart tonite........  (Read 2021 times)

Offline rugermanx

• Powder Benefactor
Went to walmart tonite........
« on: August 19, 2009, 04:11:40 AM »
And noticed a few boxes of some of the ammo on the shelf that was lacking in my collection. I asked the guy (not sure how old but couldn't have been more than 21-22 maybe) for 6 boxes of .223 and 1 box of 40S&W. The reply I got was

"Uh..... I don't know if its state or federal but there is a limit on buying ammunition you can buy only 6 boxes at a time."

My question is: Has anyone ever heard of this? If so who is making this stupid law? And what about when I go in to buy a flat of shells for trap/skeet/sporting clays? Is that going to count as one box? or am I going to have to go in and buy a few each time I go in?
The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself. Benjamin Franklin

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: Went to walmart tonite........
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 05:26:47 AM »
That is a Walmart policy started when the supply got so tight.  The CB store has a limit of 2 boxes. 

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 05:27:43 AM »
I've never heard of that one, but who knows.  There's lots of laws out there people don't know about.  My guess is though, that the store told the clerk not to sell more than a certain amount to any one customer.  Then, they blame it on a law that doesn't exist so they don't look bad.
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 07:31:04 AM »
It's not a law of any kind, just a policy that Walmart came up with once people started clearing their shelves around election time.  6 boxes per person at most stores that I've been to.  Some may not enforce the policy very strictly.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline rugermanx

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 11:07:57 AM »
The reason I asked is because shortly after the election I was in a walmart and wanted to buy some .223 and there was a huge pallet sitting in the aisle. So I found an associate to see if they would open it up and give me a few boxes. When we got back there I had to beg a guy to let me have a few because he had another associate ready to load pretty much the entire pallet up. I saw this happen again later, and have heard of friends seeing the same thing. Now I understand limits if you aren't getting something in to pacify people so one person walks out with all of it, and then you put up with a hundred pissed off people seeing the shelves empty. However he expressly told me It was a law. Which I wanted to chalk up to the gun/legislative knowledge of some walmart employees. But figured I would give him the benefit of a doubt.
The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself. Benjamin Franklin

Offline Poor Man

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 07:28:02 PM »
Love those all knowing, wet behind the ears, clerks!
Most folks who get lost in thought are
stumbling around in unfamiliar territory

Law is not necessarily Justice: nor is Justice necessarily Legal

NRA Life Member; CCRKBA Life Member;Charter Member - Second Amendment Task Force. Member of Gun Owners of America. and, National
Ass'n for Gun Right

Offline rugermanx

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 05:46:29 PM »
He was stocking the shelves in the gun department. And had a key..... Not sure but that would lead me to believe that he would know something but then again I should know better.

I must say that I am more than a little jealous toward anyone that lives in the McCook area. I worked in Kansas for awhile and drove back and forth on the weekends and had to stop at the walmart there. It is still the only walmart that had reloading supplies and a gun department guy (who I talked to several times) that knew his stuff and ran a good department. Best Walmart anywhere in my opinion but its a long drive. :'( :'( :'( :'(
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 05:50:01 PM by rugermanx »

Offline Toster

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 03:40:36 PM »
Walmart in Fairbury has reloading stuff.  Or they at least did last fall when I was down there bird hunting.

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 09:51:54 PM »
Yeah, the clerk was either stupid or just wanted to claim it as a law so he or Wal-Mart doesn't look bad. This is NOT a law, but a policy. The store in Bellevue has a sticker on the counter expressly stating that it is a policy and a limit of 6 boxes.

Offline Toster

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 11:06:12 PM »
That doesn't mean that you can't visit 3 Wal-Mart?s and buy the .223 Winchester white box ammo!!!  I finally scored some this week!!

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 07:34:51 AM »
You can always take your six boxes to the car and re-enter the store.  Not saying I have done that. : )

-Rod

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2009, 07:36:56 AM »
You can always take your six boxes to the car and re-enter the store.  Not saying I have done that. : )

-Rod

Sure you haven't! ;)

Offline rugermanx

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2009, 08:32:00 PM »

-Rod

Now who would do such things.