< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Should felons have their 2A rights restored after release from prison?  (Read 6112 times)

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
Should felons have their 2A rights restored after release from prison and completion of any parole or probation?

Something to consider before you answer: In NE, keying a Rolls-Royce can possibly make you a felon (look up the criminal mischief statute). 

If the person is too dangerous to be trusted with a gun, why are they being released?

Should other rights be denied too?  Should ex-cons be subject to random searches by the police?  Should their personal property be taken without due process?  Should repeat offenders be denied the right to counsel? 
NRA Life Member.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Re: Should felons have their 2A rights restored after release from prison?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 11:05:01 AM »
Big gray area there for me.  I think that it depends on the type of crime that was committed. 

Keying a car - you keep your gun.

Crimes of violence(not self defense) - no gun for you.

In-between....well... that's where it gets complicated.

Some felons have regained their voting rights at times, seems to me the second amendment should be more important than being able to vote.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 04:01:28 PM »
Yes, very many gray areas here.  As to why people who can't be trusted with a gun are released, it's because too many people are whining about overcrowding in the jails and such, or judges who must be afraid they won't have a job if they put all the criminals in jail for too long (no more incoming since most everyone ever sentenced to actual jail time is a repeat offender of some sort).
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline Roper

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 07:01:19 PM »
a & h has a good point, a reason for release may be for reasons other than the person involved- overcrowding and lack of state budgets.  This question is very personal to me as I have two family members with criminal records.  I would present the arguement that both are extremley well informed as to the political and economic events and would be very well informed voters. In fact I would argue that they better informed than most people I know and I think they should be able to vote.

The nature of their offenses will never allow them to legally own a firearm, which I agree with.  That being said, if SHTF, I can't think of two other people I would want beside me.

Giving criminals the ability to own a firearm is tough for me.  Where do you draw the line and when you draw the line, what's to say that the new line is right?  Non violent offenders?  What about having a few ounces of pot or kiting checks?   

If society collapses or if we start fighting zombies, then all bets are off.

Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.
Ronald Reagan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 07:49:00 PM »
There are undoubtedly people with felony backgrounds who would not pose any more of a threat by owning/carrying a gun than anyone else (probably less of a threat than many who only have misdemeanors or no record at all).  To me, voting is no big deal.  There are plenty of law-abiding idiots voting, a few criminals is not likely to make a difference.  The difficulty, as you said, is how to decide who should or shouldn't get that right back.  One way of looking at it though, is that even if the crime is not a violent or gun related crime, the fact that someone violated the law tends to indicate that they may lack the moral/ethical discipline to obey the law, and as such, are more likely to violate other laws in the future.
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 08:42:32 PM »
I have a hard time with this question.  To me, by committing a felony you have given up some of your rights, and the fact that you continue to be denied them after the prison term is over is part of your punishment.  I do think nonviolent offenders should be able to petition to have their rights restored at some point, if they can prove they've changed their ways and become productive members of society.  But I don't think it should be automatic.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 09:17:56 PM »
Nebraska already has a system for restoring full rights, including gun rights, to felons on a case by case basis. Not exactly sure how it work, but I think it is part of the pardons board system
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 09:28:32 PM »
I heard Hieneman (SP?) on the radio yesterday. You have to appeal to the pardons board and ask for it, then they review the cases and decide which ones will get a hearing.  I wouldn't count on it if it was anything violent, or in the last 10 years.
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 11:52:39 PM »
I had an ex co-worker who got into a bar fight and put the hurt on a fellow real bad. The cost of the medical bills had something to do with the felony charge and prosecution in upstate NY at the time. He was in his early 20's when this happened. So this happened in app. 1976 he mentioned to me that it bothered him and that he regretted what happened also that it follows him to this day. Job applications especially. With the length of time and the kind of crime yes, there should be some exceptions. Oh yeah part of his sentence was time served and join the Navy which he did. There are a few laws that are classified as felonies that are quite easy to get one into trouble easily many are white color crimes.
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline WallPhone

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 04:27:18 AM »
Apparently, law enforcement doesn't think this felon should be charged for posession: http://www.kptm.com/Global/story.asp?S=10626680&nav=menu606_23_9_1

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 11:39:07 AM »
I have a hard time with this question.  To me, by committing a felony you have given up some of your rights, and the fact that you continue to be denied them after the prison term is over is part of your punishment. 
Is it though?  It seems that prison should be the punishment.  Felons are treated like untouchables in more ways than one and the failure to restore rights seems like some modern version of the scarlet letter.

It seems odd that they don't lose their other rights (right to vote excepted, depending on the state).  By preventing ex-cons from regaining their rights, it further propagates the notion that the 2A is a privilege and not a right.
NRA Life Member.

Offline ScottC

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 12:29:56 PM »
Felons have already shown (the majority of the time) that they disregard society?s laws.  Yes, there are exceptions, but they are few and far between (and for them the board can review and restore those rights).

I'd side with bkoenig: they have given up their 'rights' once they crossed the line.  Maybe they should have thought about those rights before they crossed the line...

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 08:10:00 AM »
If rights are unalienable, how can we take them away so easily?

And then there's the issue I mentioned in the OP about how easy it is to become a felon, especially in certain jurisdictions.  Back when the founding fathers drafted the BoR, felonies were serious. 

Today, you can be a felon for breaking a window, having a negligent discharge, or mailing a handgun. 

I also agree that part of the reason many felons are released is due to the budget issues WRT to prisons.  However, IMO, prisons do not need to be as nice as they are and prisoners should have to work while they are there.
NRA Life Member.

Offline ranger04

• Valued Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2009, 01:23:24 PM »
I tend to think that everyone has a right to self defense. A person that commits a felony, payed their dues and has been a productive member of society should be able to posess a firearm for self defense of themselves and their families. For example; a  guy  steals a car when he is in his late teens, gets caught does 2 years in jail, gets released, gets marrried has kids and is a productive memeber of society. He cannot posess a firearm without going through the pardons process,if that state of residence has one, Someone kicks in his front door how is he suppose to defend his family? emphisis is on family. Don't do the time if you can't pay the time, pay the time get your rights restored.

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2009, 03:19:04 PM »
As I said earlier, there are certainly cases such as ranger04 describes above, and I wouldn't argue against them.  The problem is who and where do we draw the line on who gets rights restored, and who doesn't?  And, who is going to explain it to the family of the victim when some felon who got his right to own a gun back uses it in a murder?  If someone comes up with a plan that sounds good, I'll back it.  In the mean time, I'd prefer it as it is.  One reason for that, is that many felons who have not had their rights restored but are none the less out of jail, go ahead and get a firearm anyway.  They do this because they have not been "rehabilitated" and plan on continuing their criminal life style.  As it is now, if they are caught with the illegally owned gun, they can be put away again, perhaps before they shoot someone with it.

Offline WallPhone

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2009, 04:29:38 AM »
I'm also rather split on the issue. Going to have to read up on the percentage of felons who repeat their offences.

On the other hand, the list of 'prohibited persons' doesn't really match to 'problem areas'... 70% of the NICS prohibited persons are illegial aliens, but 1.31% of denials come from illegals. More than two-thirds of the denials come from felons, but they barely make up 4.5% of the list.

The idea of adding the 'no-fly list' to the prohibited persons is also troubling. Ted Kennedy had trouble getting off that list.

This quote has just nudged my opnion a little:
"An avidity to punish is always dangerous to liberty. It leads men to stretch, to misinterpret, and to misapply even the best of laws. He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
-- Thomas Paine

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2009, 11:45:53 PM »
I completely agree with RichB's and Ranger04's statements. If you have served the time, you should get your rights back. Once you get out of prison you should be able to defend yourself and your family if you have one.

If we are afraid of these people having guns, then why are they back out on the street? Overcrowding you say? You are right about that. The real problem here is that the justice system sucks because we have become too weak. Society has become too soft in regards to evil people by not putting them to death. We are putting people in prison who we are mad at (drug addicts, drug offenders and so forth) not people that we are afraid of such as violent people and child molesters. Murderers, persons that commit extreme acts of violence, and child molesters and child rapists should be put to death. People that use marijuana should not be imprisoned but fined, as long as they have not hurt anyone. I would rather we throw the real bad guys in prison than these dumb drug offenders. And trust me I am not advocating legalizing pot or any other illicit drug, just stop filling the prisons with them and letting the violent and perverts go so they can hurt more people again.

Prisons need to go back to what they were intended to be; punishment and not entertainment. Prisoners should be in solitary confinement and in 10foot by 10foot cells with a cot and a hole in the ground to use the toilet with. Solitary confinement prevents riots, conspiring to escape, and prisoners from committing more crimes against each other while in prison. No TV, No video games, No weight lifting, and No eating like kings. These reforms would free up more money to build bigger prisons if they are at all needed when all reforms are put in place.

Also today a felony can be anything. Government keeps adding different misdeeds or offenses to the felony list. A felony should only be something SERIOUS not animal cruelty, not keying cars, not mailing prohibited items, not threatening something with mere words (terroristic threats) and should exclude most but not all non-violent crimes.

Sheesh people have been getting charged with terroristic threats because people have broken into their homes and they threatened those persons "If you ever come back to my property I'll kill you".
This is ridiculous! A woman who had a restraining order against her ex-husband and who threatened to call the law on him because he showed up at her door was charged with.......you guessed it; terroristic threats. THIS IS RIDICULOUS!

Terroristic threat charges have gotten out of hand! The whole idea behind this federal law was to fight terrorism not deal with domestic issues or punish people for threatening violence against someone that is violating the law in any way.

Also Senator Lautenberg's new introduced Senate Bill would allow for people on the "no fly list" or better known as the "Terrorist watch list" to be barred from purchasing firearms. There are over 1.2 million people on that list and people are getting on it who shouldn't be on it. See link: http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/08/19/tsa.watch.list/index.html
Senator Kennedy was also put on that list and it took them forever to get him off. Now if a Senator has a hard time getting off that list, it will not be easy as an average Joe to get off. Also the POTUS can put anyone he chooses on that list. And the list keeps growing at an alarming rate which means that people who are just ordinary American citizens are being put on that list. Many are law abiding and peaceful citizens who have done so much as spoken against government policies.

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2009, 07:52:15 AM »
Even Denny Crane was on the list!

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2009, 09:28:14 AM »
Well said, Dan!

Lautenberg's law is seemingly (gag!) well-intentioned, but it is reprehensible that they are trying to deny rights to people have not been convicted of any crime.  If it does pass, I hope it is struck down as unconstitutional since it is a violation of the 5th amendment (due process). 
NRA Life Member.

Offline DJPeter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2009, 10:31:08 AM »
Part of the problem is that as a society matures, it tends to creates overlapping laws and regulations that crowds the average citizen into the gray areas of potentially becoming a criminal. Leaders are inclined to make and pass legislation to modify our Rights (to own and use firearms) for the benefit of all. This progressive limitation of individual rights is why I would lean toward developing a system that would enable felons to regain their productive rights back. Including the Right to Bear Arms.  All of course within reason.   Thankfully our Forefathers wrote the Constitution to protect our basic rights. That is if we continue to exercise our rights.
"A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained in arms, is the best most natural defense of a free country".
James Madison