< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: 45ACP vs 9mm? Is this the end of the debate as to what is better?  (Read 1921 times)

Offline patrickdm

• NFOA Full Member
I subscribe to Brass Fetching Ballistic Testing and just got this. I thought some others here would enjoy it.

https://webmail.west.cox.net/do/redirect?url=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.brassfetcher.com%252Findex_files%252F9mmvs45ACP.htm

Offline bkent

• NFOA Full Member
Re: 45ACP vs 9mm? Is this the end of the debate as to what is better?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 04:32:58 PM »
This URL might work a little better :)

www.brassfetcher.com/index_files/9mmvs45ACP.htm

Offline RedDot

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 04:49:31 PM »
Lots of stats and data to boil it down to a "boxers or briefs" decision...in the end it's how it feels that matters most.  8)

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 04:58:12 PM »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline patrickdm

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 01:22:05 PM »
Thanks bkent. My linked worked when I previewed the post.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 02:27:41 PM »
Actually, It's Quite Easy:

9mm:                 Self-Defense Lite.  (More than .380ACP.   But... Less Than Satisfactory.)

.45ACP:             Big, Bulky, and Sloooow.   (But Makes Lotsa Noise.  Like a Harley.)

Best Daily SD
Compromise:
    .40S&W  (Just About Right.  Like Mama Bear's Porridge.)

And...For Truly
Serious SD:
       .357Sig   Ne Plus Ultra.

FWIW,

sfg
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 04:53:19 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 06:14:18 PM »
First, most people don't like being shot at, caliber not withstanding.  Second, you have to be able to hit the target. 

Offline RedDot

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 09:00:04 PM »
Actually, It's Quite Easy:

9mm:                 Self-Defense Lite.  (More than .380ACP.   But... Less Than Satisfactory.)

.45ACP:         Big, Bulky, and Sloooow.   (But Makes Lotsa Noise.  Like a Harley.)

Best Daily SD
Compromise:
    .40S&W  (Just About Right.  Like Mama Bear's Porridge.)

And...For Truly
Serious SD:
       .357Sig   Ne Plus Ultra.

FWIW,

sfg
I've always thought "big" meant 'good" in America.  ;D  Bulky?  Until something concealable comes along that hurls soup cans at 900ft/sec the .45ACP will do.  Loud is good too, so even a miss will make them flinch and draws attention.  Can leave the rape whistle at home. ;)

We all know you love that .357sig though, and promote it like a stockholder. How did you ever find your way into that caliber? :)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 10:05:46 PM »
RedDot:

Aha!   I've managed to flush out a 1911 disciple with my post.   Well, you will have tons of company on this Forum.   And Everywhere Else.   'Cause 1911 shooters are incredibly loyal to that handgun and caliber.   (Like Harley riders.)

Heck, I say:  Carry and shoot what works for you.   And if you want to carry it on your Harley, Well and Good.

Now....
We all know you love that .357sig though, and promote it like a stockholder. How did you ever find your way into that caliber?

Well, I was gonna say nobody else wants .357Sig and I felt sad for the Little Orphan caliber....   Like a Wet Puppy in the Rain....

But Truth is, I'm a Believer in velocity as the driving component of the muzzle energy equation.   If you get those 124gr 9mms going fast enough, then square it, you have some serious stopping power.   In a Glock 33 subcompact.

Plus I carry IDF style, w/no round in the chamber.   Racking a 9mm bullet into a .40S&W-sized chamber is dependable.

That's about it.

sfg BTW:  I've heard of the Wind Shear from .45ACP taking out Perps.

Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 10:20:18 PM »
I carry IDF style, w/no round in the chamber.   Racking a 9mm bullet into a .40S&W-sized chamber is dependable.

I used to think that till I owned a Glock 21 400 Corbon conversion.   Biggest POS mess, I ever fussed with.  Was never so happy to see a gun go out my front door. 

I have a G32, but because of the 400 Corbon, I leave it in the safe, because I remember all the headaches it caused 20 plus years ago.