< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Interesting (Omaha)  (Read 3492 times)

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Interesting (Omaha)
« on: August 19, 2009, 09:03:03 PM »
 I had to go do the thing I said I'd never do....... Due to the fact that I live in Omaha and just received Conceal carry license I had to go to the Omaha Poilce station and ......registor.... yeap I said the "r" word.
 I felt like I'd just sold my sole.
Anyway I got all that done and decided to ask the officer a couple of  questions..... How does me registoring my handgun help you? The answer.... I don't make the laws Sir.  I aked again and got the same answer. Then I asked about open carry and he had to go ask another officer. He then gave me a packet of the firearms laws of Omaha. Here is one of the pages......Take note of the date on the bottom. A copy of this is going to my city council women. This needs to get changed.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Re: Interesting (Omaha)
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 09:22:48 PM »
I'd send a copy to all of the council members.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 09:37:14 PM »
How about we all email them about it also??

http://www.co.douglas.ne.us/omaha/citycouncil/
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 12:12:30 AM »
Done

Councilman, It appears that Omaha's handgun laws are quite outdated and need revised to fall in line with Nebraska's Concealed Handgun Permit Act LB430 modifies this Act which Passed NE Unicameral in 2009. Please give this situation some of your time.

Sincerely,
Randy
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline WallPhone

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 04:47:17 AM »
Municode.com isn't a state agency either, so even if the police updated their literature from that site, the latest version still may not be fully up to date.

It seems to currently live here:
http://library5.municode.com/default-test/DocView/10945/1/151/158

Current as of: "Codified through Ord. No. 38401, enacted April 21, 2009."

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 06:59:41 AM »
Here is Jean Stotherts response. I'll be looking forward to a follow up from her.

Hi Rich - Thanks for taking the time and sending me your concerns. I am going to talk to someone at OPD about this and I will get back to you.
Thanks again for the email.
Jean

-To: Stothert, Jean L. (CCou)
Subject: Omaha City Council: Firearms laws in Omaha ??

This is an enquiry e-mail via http://www.co.douglas.ne.us/omaha/citycouncil/ from:
Rich Wiese <huskergun@tconl.com>

Mrs. Stothert,
Recently I went to the Omaha Police department downtown to take care of my handgun registration(which I will discuss with you at another time) and was given a packet of the Omaha firearms laws.
 To my surprise what was given to me was out dated (6/25/2006) and wrong. On one of the pages it still states that it is illegal to carry concealed in Omaha unless you are in law enforcment.
 Mrs. Stothert, this can be confusing to people who want to do the right thing and be legal to get this. This needs to be changed as soon as possible. Thank you for your prompt attention to this. And good luck with the budget.
 I will be glad to drop off to you the entire thing that was given to me if you would like.
Let me know and please get back to me on this issue.
Thanks again
Rich Wiese
Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson.

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 03:16:56 PM »
Huskergun:

Don't be ashamed for "caving in" on the permit and registration.  We all have our principles, but we also have to live in reality (unless we're willing to die for our principles).  Everybody draws the line somewhere as to what they're willing to put up with.  I don't think we should need permits, or registration, either.  But, I'm glad we at least got that much of our 2A rights back with passage of the  CHP Act (even if we do have to pay for it).  We'll keep plugging away and hopefully get the number of infringements reduced as we do.  :)
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 07:29:55 PM »

Here's what I've been getting from the police and Jean Stothert
Let's take this ball and get it fixed.

Richard

The ordinance you questioned about 20-192 Carrying concealed weapon which states:

It shall be unlawful for any person except an authorized officer purposely or knowingly to carry a weapon concealed on or about his person.  To my knowledge the ordinance has not been changed.  

The ordinance does provide an affirmative defense in 20-194 Protection as defense:

It shall be a sufficient defense for any person charged under this article to show that he was engaged in a lawful business, calling or employment and the circumstances in which he was placed at the time were such as to justify a prudent person carrying a weapon for his own defense or the defense of his family or property.  

With that said, having a carrying concealed permit would fall under the Protection as defense as long as the individual is following the laws which were outlined in the Carrying concealed weapon law.  

I checked under the State Statue 28-1202 Carrying Concealed Weapon.  When the Nebraska State Legislature passed the Carrying Concealed Weapon Law they did not change the State?s existing Carrying Concealed Weapon law.  The reason is because in the law it is written as follows:

The existing Nebraska concealed weapons law (Nebraska Revised Statutes ? 28-1202) was retained in the statutes and generally prohibits the carrying of concealed weapons including handguns, bowie knife, knifes with a blade over 3 ??, brass or iron knuckles, and any other deadly weapons.  There is an exception in this law which allows the carrying of a concealed weapon by persons engaged in a lawful business, calling or employment at the time of carrying the weapon but only under circumstances which would justify a prudent person in carrying a weapon for the defense of his or her person, property, or family.  Unlike the concealed handgun permit law; there are no specific limitations on the places where a concealed weapon can be carried under this provision.  Persons utilizing this exception are cautioned that the place where a weapon is carried will have a bearing on the reasonableness of carrying the weapon.  This exception, instead of being authority to carry, is an affirmative defense to a charge of carrying a concealed weapon ? in other words, you may have to prove in court that you qualify for the exception.

The existing concealed weapons statute applies to those who do not have a concealed handgun permit.  The statute also applies to those holding a concealed handgun permit if the weapon carried is NOT a handgun (I.e. bowie knife, iron knuckles, etc.).  Concealed handgun permit holders must comply with all provisions of the Concealed Handgun Permit Act any time they are carrying a concealed handgun and may not carry a handgun under the provisions of Nebraska Revised Statutes ? 28-1202.

This information was forward to Councilwoman Jean Stothert.  I am also talking with others in OPD about the ordinance.

Lt. David Sedlacek

Customer Services Unit

444-5671

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wed 8/19/2009 10:03 PM
To: Stothert, Jean L. (CCou)
Subject: Omaha City Council: Firearms laws in Omaha ??

This is an enquiry e-mail via http://www.co.douglas.ne.us/omaha/citycouncil/ from:
Rich Wiese <
Mrs. Stothert,
Recently I went to the Omaha Police department downtown to take care of my handgun registration(which I will discuss with you at another time) and was given a packet of the Omaha firearms laws.
 To my surprise what was given to me was out dated (6/25/2006) and wrong. On one of the pages it still states that it is illegal to carry concealed in Omaha unless you are in law enforcment.
 Mrs. Stothert, this can be confusing to people who want to do the right thing and be legal to get this. This needs to be changed as soon as possible. Thank you for your prompt attention to this. And good luck with the budget.
 I will be glad to drop off to you the entire thing that was given to me if you would like.
Let me know and please get back to me on this issue.
Thanks again
Rich Wiese

How Should We Contact You? (email, phone, etc.):
email or phone

Jean Stothert

jlstothert@aol.com

« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 07:58:51 PM by FarmerRick »
Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson.

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 07:35:56 PM »
A & H,

I don't think I "caved". Nice try. I did what I had to do to stay out of jail. That being said...... It's time that we, the NFOA seriously get on Omaha and get this changed. We have to put forth an organized effort.
Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 07:57:09 PM »
http://www.municode.com/Resources/gateway.asp?pid=10945&sid=27

Last updated April 29,2009

Sec. 20-192.  Carrying concealed weapon.
It shall be unlawful for any person except an authorized law enforcement officer purposely or knowingly to carry a weapon concealed on or about his person. On or after January 1, 2007, any person possessing a lawful permit issued by the State of Nebraska authorizing the carrying of concealed handguns shall be permitted to carry such a concealed handgun in the City of Omaha as permitted by state law.
(a)   In any violation where the concealed weapon is a concealable firearm, any sentence shall include a minimum jail sentence of 30 days.
(b)   Any person convicted under this section where the concealed weapon is not a concealed firearm shall be punished as provided in section 1-10.
(Code 1980, ? 20-192; Ord. No. 37432, ? 1, 7-18-06; Ord. No. 38294, ? 1, 11-18-08)

It appears that this was last amended just under a year ago...plenty of time for OPD to get their data updated.

Leave it to the ones enforcing the laws to not know what the laws they are supposed to be enforcing actually say.
Not surprising at all.  ::)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 08:05:13 PM »
Rick this was a huge help in writing back to Lt Dave Sedlacek and Council women Stothert. If this doesn't clear it up nothing will.
 I'm liking Mrs. Stothert more and more. So far she is staying on this. I hope she keeps it up.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 08:07:49 PM by huskergun »
Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson.

Offline eagle nest

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 09:34:16 PM »
rick-
   good job, buddy,  i dont live in om (sarpy) keep up the good work.
          eagle nest ;)

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 05:37:43 AM »
Huskergun:

I don't live in Omaha, but I do go there, or through there, occasionally.  (At least, I did before I found out about their ridiculous gun laws.)  I agree, the NFOA should weigh in on this not only to help out Omahans, but so others don't fall prey to the OPD just for passing through.
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2009, 06:20:51 PM »
Here is what I hope is the final part of this.
Special thanks to Rick for providing the info to get this changed.
Now, how about some one go down to OPD and ask to see the regulations to see if it accually got changed and follow up with us here on the forum. I may be able to get down there Monday.
Again thanks Rick.

Rich - Thanks again - let me know how else I can help.
Jean

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Sedlacek, Lt David \(OPD\)" <David.Sedlacek@ci.omaha.ne.us>
Date: August 21, 2009 7:22:07 AM CDT
To: "Jean Stothert" <jlstothert@aol.com>
Subject: RE: Omaha City Council: Firearms laws in Omaha ??

Councilwoman Stothert

The ordinance has been update and I now have a current version to handout to persons registering handguns.  Mr. Wiese found it and sent it to me.

Please see the link below.
Chapter 20, Article VII Weapons
With all due respect the ordinance appears to have been already changed according to this. Please up date your handout so no further confusion can occur.
 The link below should clear this up.
Thank you again for your prompt attention to this issue.

Rich
http://www.municode.com/Resources/gateway.asp?pid=10945&sid=27
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 06:22:14 PM by huskergun »
Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson.

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2009, 11:04:18 PM »
While I agree, the city ordinance should be stricken, or amended, or whatever, it probably makes no difference once 430 kicks in.  It will be null and void whether they change it or not.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2009, 06:51:42 AM »
While I agree, the city ordinance should be stricken, or amended, or whatever, it probably makes no difference once 430 kicks in.  It will be null and void whether they change it or not.

Only for those that do not reside within the city limits of Omaha, and "as it pertains to carrying a concealed handgun".

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2009, 09:00:46 AM »
FarmerRick:

I'm not sure if I understand what you're saying.  As I read section 20-192 (I assume that's what we're talking about), the revised version makes an exception for "any person" who holds a CHP to carry a handgun in Omaha.  People without CHP will not be able to carry concealed handguns in Omaha, but they can't carry them anywhere else in the state either.  Other concealed weapons (not handguns) will still be banned, but again, those are banned everywhere too by state law.  At least, I'm pretty sure they are.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2009, 03:14:23 PM »
I think this is referring to the registration requirement.   Omaha residents will still be required to register their handguns, but non-residents will no longer be required.

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2009, 05:47:59 PM »
Oh, sorry.  That's probably true.  Another case of my not reading things closely enough.  :(

I'm glad for that, for my sake, but still hope the citizens of Omaha "throw the bums out" next election.

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2009, 09:29:40 PM »
The whole point of this was to make OPD handout the correct information which they were not doing.
Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson.