< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: IDPA Basic Training Class  (Read 2111 times)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
IDPA Basic Training Class
« on: January 04, 2014, 10:31:29 AM »
Time for some periodic update firearms training:
"He Who Dares to Teach Must Never Cease to Learn"

Went to Ron Attansio's IDPA BT Class at Thunder Alley last night.  The IDPA changed their rulebook recently, and it was time to get recalibrated.

The event was (a) Informative and (b) Fun (C'mon..... It was IDPA!!!  Shoot and Run!!!)

Gotta give Ron lotsa points for putting this Very Useful Event together and being an excellent proctor of the full program, as well.

Maybe a dozen dedicated folks there, including some young kids, who also shot.   Several ladies of various ages, also shooters.   The usual component of Greybeards in billed hats, who are the core cadre of this kinda gun stuff.   Good to see Randy and Cruze Lauer again.

So:  Thanks, Ron, for working to establish IDPA as a sporting and self-defense event in Nebraska.

I'm gonna get w/Take Aim in Omaha to see if some of our local folks are working on IDPA in this area.

Sure do miss the Good Old Days of Tuesday Evening Bang-Bang Nite at the Bullet Hole.

sfg

Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: IDPA Basic Training Class
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 02:03:12 PM »
I figured you would recognize the guy in the Cabelas hoodie that was right next to you when you left, but you didn't even say hi.

Geez, some people...:)
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline bkent

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 02:09:19 PM »
I'll second that!  Had fun at the shoot today also.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 02:36:50 PM »
I figured you would recognize the guy in the Cabelas hoodie that was right next to you when you left, but you didn't even say hi.

Geez, some people...:)

Actually, Dave........I figgered that since You are now a Distinguished Forum Celebrity, I should wait for you to speak and not commit lese majeste upon my Betters.   (I always get kinda shy around the Rich and/or Famous.)

Next time, pls gimme a wake-up nudge.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 03:02:29 PM »
(I still think that at matches and get-togethers of various types, people should be required to wear a nametag that not only gives their real name, but their NFOA forum name, too!)
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 03:07:13 PM »
Keep us up on what Take Aim says.  If they start running these I might start taking part.  Bellevue is a lot closer than Lincoln and my work schedule is changing soon to something a bit more ... human.

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 04:47:00 PM »
[quote]Keep us up on what Take Aim says.[/quote]

Contact has now been initiated.   They have been invited to think about it, determine if it fits their business model,  and respond one way or the other at their convenience.

Actually, it's surprising that contact hasn't been previously initiated, but so far no such word has been out anywhere on the shooting grapevine.

So we'll see what they say.

And if they are positive in their response, I'll be back on the Forum in that regard.  See where it goes from there.   Maybe get Ron Attanasio and his Basic IDPA course up to Bellevue for starters.   He's open to it.

sfg

Offline bkent

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 05:55:49 PM »
Take Aim is great. I hope they say "yes."  They have Wednesday night "shooting drills." I need to attend one of these days.

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 06:01:40 PM »
(I still think that at matches and get-togethers of various types, people should be required to wear a nametag that not only gives their real name, but their NFOA forum name, too!)

Second that, do we have a motion?

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 07:37:27 AM »
Second that, do we have a motion?

Sorry, a name tag interferes with my covert ops. 

:)
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 08:22:40 AM »
Sorry, a name tag interferes with my covert ops. 

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 08:57:42 AM »
Take Aim is great. I hope they say "yes."

No response at this time.

Any word back one way or other will be promptly posted.

sfg

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 02:52:48 PM »
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 03:47:48 PM »
I have been wanting to come to one of these events and I have been wanting to take the class but TIME (wish I could design a machine to make more if it) hasn't allowed. What would I need to get started? #of mags? Shooting belt? Vest?

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 04:24:00 PM »
tstuart34:

You CAN start on IDPA Right Now.

Here's how:  Go to www.idpa.com/.   Peruse the website.   Download and print a copy of the latest IDPA Rulebook, then scan it a few times.   Then try to read it.    (Some of the info starts to make more sense once you've attended a couple of events.)

You'll see how matches are run, what equipment is needed (not much, just usual stuff, which is the basic rationale for IDPA in the first place), how the Classifier works, handgun categories, yada, yada.

Go to YouTube and see some of the IDPA events, including the way some of the True Hotshots bang their way through the Classifier.

And then watch this Forum for events.

Go For It!

sfg

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 09:06:58 PM »
From what I've seen, the SO's are very helpful and understanding.  They'll work with ya.  There's a lot to absorb in those first matches, so don't feel bad if you aren't the fastest shooter.  Far better to go slow and concentrate on being safe.

The main thing is to take the plunge and just get out there! 

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 10:55:20 PM »
I have been wanting to come to one of these events and I have been wanting to take the class but TIME (wish I could design a machine to make more if it) hasn't allowed. What would I need to get started? #of mags? Shooting belt? Vest?

Gear:

Gun.  OWB or IWB belt holster that carries the gun close to the body.  Two mag pouches (unless you are shooting a singlestack, whereupon you get three).  Three magazines (unless singlestack, whereupon you get four).  Belt that holds it all.  Concealment garment such that all of your gear is not visible when you hold your arms straight out to each side.  (If shooting a revolver, rules get a bit more convoluted about how many/where, so take a look at the handbook.) 

But that's it for gear.

Things to remember when shooting:
1) Safety first, last, always.  Look up the muzzle (180 and such) rules, finger out of the trigger guard rules, etc.
2) If there is cover, you have to use it.
3) Tactical priority and tactical sequence.
4) Slidelock reloads/Tac Loads/Reloads with Retention -- and you can't move if you are reloading.
5) Do what the stage briefing says.

...and ask questions, because people will be happy to help out.

Offline tstuart34

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2014, 11:05:04 PM »
Thank you jthhapkido