< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Illinois CCW law possible exemption...  (Read 1026 times)

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• NFOA Full Member
Illinois CCW law possible exemption...
« on: January 05, 2014, 08:05:04 PM »
I'm confused, does this mean than someone with a out of state CCW permit can transport their pistol in their vehicle similar to the Missouri law... below was taken from the Illinois CCW website....

Out of state residents are granted a limited exception to lawfully carry a concealed firearm within a vehicle if they are eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of their state or territory of residence and are not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law. This rule became effective immediately.

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Illinois CCW law possible exemption...
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 06:04:54 PM »
I spoke this afternoon with Carl at the NRA/ILA, after not getting anyone on the phone with the ISP, and he checked with the attorney for that area and he reads it the same as I do, you can have your CCW pistol in your car while traveling through Illinois...  that is very interesting, I wonder how they got that passed the anti's...

Offline Don L

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 06:51:12 PM »
During an interview with the head of ISP, he said if you have a vaild out of state CCW permit on your person you can have your firearm on your person while in your vehicle passing though their state BUT you CAN NOT get out of your vehicle while armed. The firearm must remain in the vehicle.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 06:53:13 PM by Don L »

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 07:53:32 PM »
I'm confused, does this mean than someone with a out of state CCW permit can transport their pistol in their vehicle similar to the Missouri law... below was taken from the Illinois CCW website....

Out of state residents are granted a limited exception to lawfully carry a concealed firearm within a vehicle if they are eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of their state or territory of residence and are not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law. This rule became effective immediately.

That is how I read it and understand it as well. But you cannot carry outside of the vehicle without the permit.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 08:53:39 PM »
Pretty Much the Same as USC 926a, the Federal Firearms Interstate Transit Law.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 11:15:00 PM »
I normally don't stop in Illinois, so this is a positive for me...