< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Is Permit less concealed carry a goal for NFOA?  (Read 3794 times)

Offline Tim McBride

• NFOA Full Member
Is Permit less concealed carry a goal for NFOA?
« on: January 08, 2014, 08:41:48 PM »
I moved to Nebraska from Arizona, were permit less concealed carry is now allowed.
Although it would not impact me greatly, I would love to see NE go this way. Is there any chance this is a long range goal? I know in AZ our grassroots group, AZCDL, worked the laws over the course of almost two decades to that point, we got ccw, then lowered the requirements over the course of the years till the course was 4 hours, after that it was an easy pass in the legislative to do away with the permit requirement. AZCDL also spent a great amount of time and money getting the right folks elected.

Am I hoping against hope? Is Chambers or the metro area too much to overcome?
Also, any chance of getting rid of the pistol purchase cards? These are a complete waste of LE resources and just another useless/restrictive hurdle.
Sorry if this has been hashed over already, just finally getting fully settled after a year and ready to jump into the fight.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Is Permit less concealed carry a goal for NFOA?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 09:04:07 PM »
It absolutely is our goal. The "Constitutional Carry" bills were repeatedly introduced for years prior to the passage of the Concealed Handgun Act, and the result was always the same...it died in committee.

At this point in time we need to change the landscape of the Judiciary Committee or we will struggle to pass anything gun related.

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Tim McBride

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 09:23:06 PM »
Dan, thanks for the answer, it's what I'd hoped to read.

Thanks for the hard work, I'll continue to donate when I can.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 09:34:47 PM »
Chambers does come to work, ready to work, and his opposition to things he does not want is brutal, and unrelenting.

Will Nebraska ever be like Vermont? Arizona?  I rather doubt it.  While most of the state is John Wayne in its thinking, most of the state is sparsely populated.  The centers of voters are Omaha and Lincoln, and those are strong holds for anti gun thinking.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 09:39:56 PM »
I agree with Dan, and it's something I am VERY passionate about. 

One day, we'll get it... but not without a lot of hard work from ALL our members.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 09:44:40 PM »
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 09:51:05 PM by FarmerRick »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Tim McBride

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 09:44:55 PM »
Chambers does come to work, ready to work, and his opposition to things he does not want is brutal, and unrelenting.

Will Nebraska ever be like Vermont? Arizona?  I rather doubt it.  While most of the state is John Wayne in its thinking, most of the state is sparsely populated.  The centers of voters are Omaha and Lincoln, and those are strong holds for anti gun thinking.

It was an eye opener when I realized just how much the Far East population center controls NE politics; it's a normal gripe out where I live(Valentine). although in many ways it is our own fault, many folks out here just don't get involved in state politics. I was surprised when a couple candidates for Governor actually visited us.

Offline barmandr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 10:03:51 PM »
But, if NE went to permit-free concealed carry, we wouldn't be able to carry outside the state.  I'd prefer not to go permitless unless it was nationwide.

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 10:15:38 PM »
Yes its our goal but its going to be a long road. What we really need is to get our membership up so that we can be a real force to be taken serious. As far as the handgun purchase & transfer permit/certificate it seems that most have accepted it as here to stay. I believe its an infringement on the 2nd Amendment. We should NEVER have to ask for permission of govt to exercise our constitutional rights. If we do, it means our rights have become privileges that can be revoked at the whim of govt.

Offline thirtydaZe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 10:36:25 PM »
Other than members making donations, what are our most effective options for being more involved, and strengthning the cause?

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 11:23:45 PM »
Other than members making donations, what are our most effective options for being more involved, and strengthning the cause?

X2. 
The 2nd Amendment is not open for debate!

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 02:26:58 AM »
Tell your friends, heck, even your enemies. Volunteer. Take a project and run with it.  Valentine?  We need members to take ownership of areas to help with gun shows and such, hold monthly 'coffees' , etc .   Write your senators when appropriate, stop into the capitol when we attend hearings, if you are a good speaker and debater  then bring a game plan.  Otherwise put your name on the line and be support for our lobbyist.   I have plans to hit gun shows, exposed outdoor shows, even the state fair.  We need people to man a state fair booth. 
Stay informed and be involved!
PM me if you want to help, or know of a venue we need to hit.
Also support the PAF. they will be the ones to get the right people in the legislature  and on the judiciary committee. This next election will be a game changer. If we can load it up with friendlies, Ernie will no long be an issue.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 03:40:04 AM by NE Bull »
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 12:42:15 AM »
Under current rules loosing the CCW from NE would crush any reciprocity we have now.  I like reciprocity.

Without the NE handgun purchase card, all private sales of handguns in NE would become against the law, so that law would have to change also.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 12:51:31 AM »
I like reciprocity.

Most don't think about carrying in other states being lost when a state resets back to constitutional carry, so we really need both in place, unless you want to throw the dice with Federal control of concealed carry regulations
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2014, 07:21:05 AM »
Alaska has a good system. No permit is required for concealed carry within the state. However, they do offer a permit so that residents can take advantage of reciprocity with other states.

Offline Tim McBride

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2014, 07:27:28 AM »
Under current rules loosing the CCW from NE would crush any reciprocity we have now.  I like reciprocity.

Without the NE handgun purchase card, all private sales of handguns in NE would become against the law, so that law would have to change also.
Most don't think about carrying in other states being lost when a state resets back to constitutional carry, so we really need both in place, unless you want to throw the dice with Federal control of concealed carry regulations

I know the way we did this in Arizona was we did not get rid of the permit system when we allowed permit less concealed carry. That way most could carry out of state under a permit reciprocity if they wanted.

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2014, 12:29:07 PM »
Wyoming does the same, no permit needed in state, but offers a permit system for reciprocity.

I have to have a licensing system to drive a car, I don't mind having a licensing system to carry a deadly weapon.

If it was a free for all, there could be car wrecks and shootouts everywhere.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2014, 01:27:25 PM »

I have to have a licensing system to drive a car, I don't mind having a licensing system to carry a deadly weapon.

So knives, bats, fists if you have martial arts training...
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2014, 02:25:06 PM »

If it was a free for all, there could be car wrecks and shootouts everywhere.

I mind having a licensing system so I can transport myself from one place to another, and defend myself adequately. 

And I while I agree that there COULD be "car wrecks and shootouts everywhere" I'd say that statistics have shown quite clearly that there will not be "shootouts everywhere".

Car wrecks?  Statistically more than we have now?  Could be.  But I doubt it.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline TwoSwords

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2014, 09:35:30 AM »
This is just my opinion, but NE is a long way from Constitutional Carry.

The Unicameral is far to Busy banning novelty lighters to protect "The Children"      Yes I watched the live stream and I hope it causes some action on everyone's part. .  Speak up or watch your rights be washed away.

This will be the argument from the left in the Unicameral.   "We can't have all these untrained people walking around with guns." 
For it, yes, but it won't happen. 

Here is my list I think that should be worked way before the above.    Baby steps, in no particular order.

For many of these I am going right off of KS law so the NE lawmakers can't say that change would cause chaos.  KS has it already, no issues and it is a bordering state.

But, but,  OMAHA...  We have KCK, so #NELeg can shut it.

1)  Get rid of the handgun purchase permit
2)  School grounds carry, can't even walk your kids to the playground without a felony.
3)  Remove the criminal penalty for walking past a sign.  (KS they can ask you to leave, that's it, refuse, then trespassing or something else)
4)  Public Building carry.   Or as I like to call it, "Put in the metal detectors or let us carry."   We paid for the buildings, we should be able to protect ourselves.
Forces the city, counties hand.  They must provide Adequate Security (Metal Detectors) to keep all guns out or no guns out.

KS is now working State wide open carry because a few little towns want to twist the law and ban open carry.

Switchblade, dirk, dagger carry.  Yes, KS has that. No permit needed.  A little clean up this year for same reason as above.