< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: 22 scalpers  (Read 4117 times)

Offline Z3R0

• NFOA Full Member
Re: 22 scalpers
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2014, 09:18:18 AM »

I think it would be a valid concern of the Walmart management that their employees are keeping the stores retail customers from buying ammo by their unfair use of insider information and are essentially creating a black market for ammunition and costing Walmart customers, loss of good will, possibly also making management complicit in the tax avoidance scheme 

I say we send a few emails to Walrmart store managers >:D

They limit you to like two boxes of ammo per person. at 14 dollars a person do you even know how many employees would have to be doing this to make "management  complicit in the tax avoidance scheme"?   Why bring ammo out to the floor to be seen by customers at all then? Why wouldn't they just call dibs as soon as they saw the quantity coming in?  I mean I'm just as frustrated as the rest of you but when you start talking about black markets being caused by dirty break taking walmart employees using insider information to buy 2 boxes of .22 ammo  to resell one or twice a week just makes this whole thread sound like a bunch of crazies talking.  No offense.

Offline on the fritz

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2014, 09:18:40 AM »
lol, a Walmart employee conspiracy! Come on get real. This "insider information"? They literally will tell you what days the trucks come in and approximately what time they usually get the ammo to the floor. Hell, if you call and ask them to check the next manifest (usually a day before it arrives) they'll tell you IF there's even .22 ammo on the truck coming! The rest is up to you to get there and buy it before someone else does.  God forbid those employees might be picking ammo up for friends/family on their one 15 minute break of the day... I mean there are SO many other perks to working at Wallyworld clearly.   The only issue that should be had with this is if there were 10 boxes of ammo and 10 customers already lined up and the employees cut in line. Otherwise it's first come first serve and I don't see an issue with it at all.

Actually, every time I have asked, they have told me that they are not even sure what's on the truck, and they can't get that info. 

Are they lieing,...?  I don't know, but I have never gotten any info like that from a wally-world employee about guns or ammo. 

& it's 3 boxes.....

Offline Waltherfan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2014, 10:06:29 AM »
I've had the ones in Papillion and Bellevue tell me what ammo was supposed to be on the overnight truck.
I wasn't interested in what was inbound that day so I didn't go in. One of them (Papillion I think) had .22 coming in the next day.

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2014, 10:40:48 AM »
I think almost all of us are for a free market system. When something becomes short in supply and people can't find something at the price they want, suddenly they jump to "There oughta be a law!"  Is it any wonder how we have gotten to the current level of Government  intrusion? Frankly, I am amazed we have lasted as long as we have and fear the end of this country as we know it will happen in my lifetime.

I work 50-60 hours a week and can find ammo almost regularly. I am not reselling, though. I have thought about it, but the hassle is not worth the $10 I might make.  Those that are reselling are only speculating and that happens whereever there is oppurtunity. God bless America.

Butch up, Sally and figure out why you are suffering in the current situation and do your best to see that it won't next time. I have come to some conclusions myself and am doing what I can to be ready for anything that might happen in the future. I have realized that my priorities were not in order and I am changing them.

Offline Z3R0

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2014, 10:47:51 AM »
Actually, every time I have asked, they have told me that they are not even sure what's on the truck, and they can't get that info. 

Are they lieing,...?  I don't know, but I have never gotten any info like that from a wally-world employee about guns or ammo. 

& it's 3 boxes.....

I'd ask to speak to the dept supervisor.  And here in hastings its 2 per person and I've had very little trouble getting some.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2014, 10:49:29 AM »
I think almost all of us are for a free market system. When something becomes short in supply and people can't find something at the price they want, suddenly they jump to "There oughta be a law!"  Is it any wonder how we have gotten to the current level of Government  intrusion? Frankly, I am amazed we have lasted as long as we have and fear the end of this country as we know it will happen in my lifetime.

I work 50-60 hours a week and can find ammo almost regularly. I am not reselling, though. I have thought about it, but the hassle is not worth the $10 I might make.  Those that are reselling are only speculating and that happens whereever there is oppurtunity. God bless America.

Butch up, Sally and figure out why you are suffering in the current situation and do your best to see that it won't next time. I have come to some conclusions myself and am doing what I can to be ready for anything that might happen in the future. I have realized that my priorities were not in order and I am changing them.

I nominate this for best post of the thread.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2014, 10:54:02 AM »
I'd ask to speak to the dept supervisor.  And here in hastings its 2 per person and I've had very little trouble getting some.

That is since they got rid of an employee that was holding it for people from a local gun shop. Last time I was there it a 3 box limit. I no longer bless Chinamart with my presence, so I don't care what they have. At least they have never gouged on their prices.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2014, 10:55:16 AM »
I nominate this for best post of the thread.

With my second I believe the motion will carry.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2014, 02:53:13 PM »
I wasn't saying anything about tax fraud with managers being complicit though I saw someone else did. I've gone to that Walmart twice a week for several months straight and have yet to see any 22LR. My coworker was there before they said they usually put out the ammo. I know working for Walmart would generally suck really bad so really any perk for them is better than nothing. I don't want there to be any new laws guarding against market speculation of ammo and think the best course of action is to stop buying from scalpers. The guy stocking the shelves could very easily be paging his buddies and telling them that it is available and it just really is an annoyance when I go in there as often as I do and come up empty handed every time... maybe I should give up fishing too since that is what it feels like, getting skunked.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 03:53:37 PM by AWick »
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline Z3R0

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2014, 06:33:49 PM »
I wasn't saying anything about tax fraud with managers being complicit though I saw someone else did. I've gone to that Walmart twice a week for several months straight and have yet to see any 22LR. My coworker was there before they said they usually put out the ammo. I know working for Walmart would generally suck really bad so really any perk for them is better than nothing. I don't want there to be any new laws guarding against market speculation of ammo and think the best course of action is to stop buying from scalpers. The guy stocking the shelves could very easily be paging his buddies and telling them that it is available and it just really is an annoyance when I go in there as often as I do and come up empty handed every time... maybe I should give up fishing too since that is what it feels like, getting skunked.

Im just saying usually the people that get the .22 ammo even here in hastings are there 30 minutes before the sporting good area officially opens for the day.  It sucks but thats just how it is right now.  Really you have two options as I see it.  Fight fire with fire and make friends with a wallyworld employee or try to Black Friday shop on a weekly basis.  Another thing to consider is, by the time youve wasted gas driving there twice a week or whatever you said, then the time you wasted and factor all that together maybe it's less of an expense just buying online or driving to a place that usually always has some on the shelves, like say Cabelas?  I drive up there quite a bit from Hastings to get ammo, it's a good hour drive both ways  but sometimes thats just what it takes anymore.

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2014, 10:56:40 PM »
I stop at that one because it is on my way to and from work. If I get a grocery list from the wife I'll swing through the ammo aisle. I'm not supper pissed or anything that it's not there. My coworker that encountered the well timed employees sold me some rounds at cost out of his stock so I'm good.

Fight fire with fire and make friends with a wallyworld employee
I started chuckling out loud when I read that. The last employee to help me there was a granny so the image of her doing black market ammo dealing really busted me up! Thanks!
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline Z3R0

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2014, 12:17:24 AM »
I stop at that one because it is on my way to and from work. If I get a grocery list from the wife I'll swing through the ammo aisle. I'm not supper pissed or anything that it's not there. My coworker that encountered the well timed employees sold me some rounds at cost out of his stock so I'm good.
 I started chuckling out loud when I read that. The last employee to help me there was a granny so the image of her doing black market ammo dealing really busted me up! Thanks!

black mar·ket
noun
an illegal traffic or trade in officially controlled or scarce commodities.
"they planned to sell the meat on the black market"

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2014, 08:34:47 AM »

black mar·ket
noun
an illegal traffic or trade in officially controlled or scarce commodities.
"they planned to sell the meat on the black market"

Would you have preferred "back room dealing" or the image of her "giving me the low down on the next shipping manifest" in place of the term black market? Either way it was joke so don't be that guy that comes back and drops a definition copied over.

Offline abbafandr

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2014, 08:38:33 AM »
Im just saying usually the people that get the .22 ammo even here in hastings are there 30 minutes before the sporting good area officially opens for the day.  It sucks but thats just how it is right now.  Really you have two options as I see it.  Fight fire with fire and make friends with a wallyworld employee or try to Black Friday shop on a weekly basis.  Another thing to consider is, by the time youve wasted gas driving there twice a week or whatever you said, then the time you wasted and factor all that together maybe it's less of an expense just buying online or driving to a place that usually always has some on the shelves, like say Cabelas?  I drive up there quite a bit from Hastings to get ammo, it's a good hour drive both ways  but sometimes thats just what it takes anymore.

I don't go to Cabelas regularly, no matter what my wife says, and I haven't been able to get 22 since March of 2013.  But between Wallworld and Guns Unlimited I have managed to pick up some.  It's largely a matter of timing.

Offline Z3R0

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2014, 09:17:43 AM »
Would you have preferred "back room dealing" or the image of her "giving me the low down on the next shipping manifest" in place of the term black market? Either way it was joke so don't be that guy that comes back and drops a definition copied over.

How is it back room dealing if someone just gives you a heads up when they see some ammo come in, and you still have to get there and be in line before it's sold out?

Offline Z3R0

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2014, 09:19:16 AM »
I don't go to Cabelas regularly, no matter what my wife says, and I haven't been able to get 22 since March of 2013.  But between Wallworld and Guns Unlimited I have managed to pick up some.  It's largely a matter of timing.

Timing is definitely key.

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2014, 09:46:23 AM »
How is it back room dealing if someone just gives you a heads up when they see some ammo come in, and you still have to get there and be in line before it's sold out?

Again, the image that popped in my head was of a granny using her Walmart behind the scene info to run an ammo selling ring. In no way was it supported by reality or intended to assume that is what is actually happening.
 The point of a mental visualization like that is to induce a comedic reaction. I wished to share that visualization. That was it.

I've used tips from friends, employees and other avenues to procure ammo but it doesn't negate the fact that inside normal channels, even with hot tips, a lot of people have been unable to find ammo. Of course we'll use other methods to get ammo that don't make the cost of procurement sky high and that was the point of the OP. Retail outlets are one place where the market has corrected. It would just be nice to buy ammo at prices that are reasonable. I think we can all agree on that.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2014, 11:38:41 PM »
That only applies to manufacturers. If I reload and sell it at cost to someone, no problem (as far as the FFL issue goes). If I reload and sell for profit, I have to have a manufacturer's license. If I horde and speculate on commercially manufactured .22 or other ammo I may be a jerk, but there is no FFL class for that.

Reloads: Nope.

See also:

http://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/index.php/topic,8797.0.html

Skipping the Class 6 'livelihood/profit' thing... that's a cheap license and if you wanna spend thousands of dollars on legal fees arguing 'livelihood/profit' instead of $30 on the FFL, you're silly.

The DDTC registration - good luck with that :D
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D