< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: 22 scalpers  (Read 4118 times)

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
22 scalpers
« on: January 09, 2014, 01:40:43 PM »
 I been thinking about all the people who are buying the 22 ammo, then trying to sell it online,

Why dosent the ATF go after them, they are buying the ammo with the intent or reselling it for a profit, to my thinking that is being a dealer.  so if they don't have a FFL, they are dealing without a liscense.

for some reason this makes sense to me,
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline Jeepguy

• Powder Benefactor
Re: 22 scalpers
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 01:50:53 PM »
Do you need an FFL to sell ammo? We have hardware stores around here that sell ammo and not guns. I always assumed that was because they did not want to hassle with an FFL? It would be nice though if people would just refuse to buy from the scalpers. The market would get back to normal faster if that happened.

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 01:54:21 PM »
 to sell ammo to the public, you must have a ffl. and a sales tax number.
  Its the intent to make a profit that gets you .
 NRA Endowment member

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 01:57:28 PM »
Please provide reference for such a statement.....

to sell ammo to the public, you must have a ffl. and a sales tax number.
  Its the intent to make a profit that gets you .

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 01:59:37 PM »
damn that's a awful thick book to look  thru. but ill try and see if I can find it
 NRA Endowment member

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 02:37:33 PM »
That only applies to manufacturers. If I reload and sell it at cost to someone, no problem (as far as the FFL issue goes). If I reload and sell for profit, I have to have a manufacturer's license. If I horde and speculate on commercially manufactured .22 or other ammo I may be a jerk, but there is no FFL class for that.

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 03:13:53 PM »
 If you reload ammo and sell it you need a type 6 liscense,   IF you reload the customers own brass and return it to him you don't need a liscense
 NRA Endowment member

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 03:39:23 PM »
Yep.....  and that's lawyer talkin'

If I horde and speculate on commercially manufactured .22 or other ammo I may be a jerk, but there is no FFL class for that.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 07:58:01 PM »
I think (And there is very little intel behind this)  The only issue may be the tax on the profit.  BUT a tax was already paid at the store, sooo GRAY AREA?

There is the Free market ideals, sure,  but there is also being a big ol butthead.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 08:25:23 PM »
I think (And there is very little intel behind this)  The only issue may be the tax on the profit.  BUT a tax was already paid at the store, sooo GRAY AREA?

There is the Free market ideals, sure,  but there is also being a big ol butthead.

Yep.  Tax was paid once.  If you decide to sell it to someone else, you can.  For whatever price you like.    It isn't always quite that cut-and-dried, but for the the most part, in this described situation, that's it.

I, for one, am not particularly inclined to wish the government to decide this situation needs more laws.  And telling the ATF to go after people selling ammo (not as dealers, nor in bulk, merely re-selling ammunition they bought retail) just because people don't like their prices----yeah, not real big on that idea.

Yeah, those prices are ridiculous, and "big ol butthead" it about the kindest term I'd use.  Nonetheless, completely legal.  And I don't particularly want that to change.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline Opusnbill7

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 09:47:08 PM »
If you're doing a small amount, it kind of falls under the "garage sale" clause.  Nobody is really going to care.

However, if you're doing it on a regular basis, buying and selling ammo to supplement your income, you *should* be reporting that income on your income taxes.  Will you get caught if you don't?  Probably not.  However, that doesn't make it legal or right.

Offline RedDot

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 09:51:57 PM »
Never thought I'd see the day someone on here advocates for the ATF to get involved with private ammo sales.. :o

Only one way to stop the scalping and that's to NOT BUY SCALPED AMMO and shame/scorn/ridicule anyone who does buy it at those prices.  It'll end better if peer and market pressures end it than if Holder's Posse gets involved.

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 10:26:56 PM »
According to the IRS, if you turn a profit on ANY commodity or service then you should pay taxes on it. Garage sale items are typically exempt because nearly every item has depreciated value and is worth less than originally paid by the seller. If I bought gold at $300/oz (I WISH!) and sold it for $1900/oz then the IRS considers that taxable income to be reported. Same thing goes for a collector car, a gun, ammo, my grandmother's cinnamon rolls... etc... regardless, the 16th Amendment wasn't ratified anyways.. :D hey-o! jk, pay your taxes, or go to debtors prison!
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 10:30:44 PM »
My coworker was at the Walmart in Irvington the other day at 7 am right when they stocked the shelves. Low and behold several guys jumped in line right behind him to scoop up all the ammo. Who were these fellas you ask? Well, they just happen to be Walmart employees on their timely break... Getting the feeling that this has happened often, he pressed them on what they shoot and not a single one of them could name a valid 22LR firearm (make and model)... let that sink in a little bit!
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 10:39:46 PM »
If you're doing a small amount, it kind of falls under the "garage sale" clause.  Nobody is really going to care.

Not really.  "Garage sale" clause sorts of things, as mentioned by someone else, are due to the understood level of depreciation.  Technically should still be reported, mostly no one worries about them.

However, anything that could not have undergone any similar level of depreciation, like re-selling ammunition, parts, or anything else----you are definitely supposed to report.  No matter how little you do it or how little you made.

However, if you're doing it on a regular basis, buying and selling ammo to supplement your income, you *should* be reporting that income on your income taxes.  Will you get caught if you don't?  Probably not.  However, that doesn't make it legal or right.

True whether or not it is a "regular basis."

That, however, is a completely separate issue (reporting income on your taxes) from the original comments, which were about the need for an FFL or a business license, both of which you do NOT need.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2014, 10:43:15 PM »
My coworker was at the Walmart in Irvington the other day at 7 am right when they stocked the shelves. Low and behold several guys jumped in line right behind him to scoop up all the ammo. Who were these fellas you ask? Well, they just happen to be Walmart employees on their timely break... Getting the feeling that this has happened often, he pressed them on what they shoot and not a single one of them could name a valid 22LR firearm (make and model)... let that sink in a little bit!

I think it would be a valid concern of the Walmart management that their employees are keeping the stores retail customers from buying ammo by their unfair use of insider information and are essentially creating a black market for ammunition and costing Walmart customers, loss of good will, possibly also making management complicit in the tax avoidance scheme 

I say we send a few emails to Walrmart store managers >:D
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2014, 10:58:08 PM »

I think it would be a valid concern of the Walmart management that their employees are keeping the stores retail customers from buying ammo by their unfair use of insider information and are essentially creating a black market for ammunition and costing Walmart customers, loss of good will, possibly also making management complicit in the tax avoidance scheme 

I say we send a few emails to Walrmart store managers >:D

I'm going there tomorrow over my lunch. If inventory levels are empty then I will be personally speaking with a manager. I've already talked to one of their managers but I didn't have enough time to press it further. It would be difficult to press unless I personally saw it happen, or if my coworker can remember the date and time that he was there so they could review video footage.

On a somewhat related note, maybe the winter and recent severe cold snap will provide manufacturers with a time to catch up with demand. Personally, I don't do very much or hardly any indoor shooting so the cold weather has kept me off the range for a while now... perhaps collectively they can finally make some headway.

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2014, 11:13:32 PM »
 I know, I don't really want the bat fags to go after them, but it just really pisses me off, these people probably don't even shoot, they just see a way to make a fast buck,
 NRA Endowment member

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2014, 12:00:09 AM »
If I sell my 22 ammo that I had been collecting for years since the current administration somehow won the election for a large sum of money, I will not show any profit because storing it for all these years has cost me money. I may actually have to show a loss on my taxes because it has taken up space that should have been used for things like food.

That being said, in the last couple years, I have given a lot away to people I know and only expecting them to replace it if and when they can.

Offline Z3R0

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2014, 09:09:31 AM »

lol, a Walmart employee conspiracy! Come on get real. This "insider information"? They literally will tell you what days the trucks come in and approximately what time they usually get the ammo to the floor. Hell, if you call and ask them to check the next manifest (usually a day before it arrives) they'll tell you IF there's even .22 ammo on the truck coming! The rest is up to you to get there and buy it before someone else does.  God forbid those employees might be picking ammo up for friends/family on their one 15 minute break of the day... I mean there are SO many other perks to working at Wallyworld clearly.   The only issue that should be had with this is if there were 10 boxes of ammo and 10 customers already lined up and the employees cut in line. Otherwise it's first come first serve and I don't see an issue with it at all.