< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Travel Icon Says He'll Avoid Arizona Because of Gun Laws  (Read 1122 times)

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
Travel Icon Says He'll Avoid Arizona Because of Gun Laws
« on: August 22, 2009, 03:15:24 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,541522,00.html?test=latestnews

PHOENIX ?  Well-known travel icon Arthur Frommer said he'll avoid visiting Arizona because state laws permit "thugs" and "extremists" to openly tote guns.

Frommer, the author of budget-travel guides, said on his blog Wednesday that he was "shocked beyond measure" by reports that protesters openly carried guns and rifles outside a Phoenix building where President Barack Obama spoke on Monday.

As a result, Frommer said he won't be spending his tourism dollars at the Grand Canyon, or anywhere else in Arizona, because he doesn't want to travel in a state where civilians carry loaded weapons as a means of political protest.

"I will cancel any plans to vacation or otherwise visit in Arizona until I learn more," Frommer wrote. "And I will begin thinking about whether tourists should safeguard themselves by avoiding stays in Arizona."

Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon says he spoke with Frommer on Thursday and invited him to visit the city to clear up any possible misconceptions about safety.

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Travel Icon Says He'll Avoid Arizona Because of Gun Laws
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 03:23:00 PM »
This guy is an idiot. He thinks tourists should safeguard themselves by avoiding stays in Arizona. I think tourists now are the safest among the nation in Arizona because they can arm themselves. Its the other states that restrict people from carrying weapons that would jeopardize tourists.

Carrying of a loaded weapon at a political event does not bother me in the least. People have a RIGHT not a priviledge to carry weapons, and that should not be any different at a political event. This behavior does not jeopardize democracy as Mr. Fromm contends, instead it is the policies of the administration and Federal government that threaten democracy. Armed Protesters at these events are actually and appropriate response to the government's infringements. As long as they do not start shooting at other protesters, there is no problem. The government ought to fear the people. They keep wanting to dish out, maybe its time to stop being pansies and complaining about intimidation. They need to back off our rights, and stop infringing on them, and cease and desist violating the constitution. Their stupid healthcare bill violates the 10th Amendment.

Offline Thomas

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Travel Icon Says He'll Avoid Arizona Because of Gun Laws
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 09:14:34 PM »
Their stupid healthcare bill violates the 10th Amendment.

Their stupid healthcare bill violates the US Constitution.