< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: what can you tell me?  (Read 2760 times)

muleshemi

what can you tell me?
« on: January 13, 2008, 10:04:43 PM »
well hello everyone

to be honest I love 4 things about life.... hunting fishing wrenching on cars/trucks and my woman, thought not nesicarly in that order haha....

anyway, Ive always been in to phesant/quail hunting, not tooooo seriously though as my shotgun is a reminton 870 express, aint pretty but does the job. and my ruger 10/22 is always fun for plinking around, rabbits and such. well my dad (Im 20 btw) bought me a tikka T3 .270 for christmas. I love the gun but other than how to shoot it, I dont know much else....Ive never deer hunted in my life but some of my best friends and my dad do, so Im looking to get in to the sport...

really anything you can tell me would be great thanks......

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: what can you tell me?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 10:22:03 PM »
First off, welcome to the forums! Always great to introduce someone new to the sport! I took two people hunting for the first time this year and it was great to see them have a good time.

I have never personally fired a Tikka, but I have heard good things about them, and the .270 is a GREAT cartridge for white tails.

Well, deer hunting is not rocket science, but there are a few tricks to the trade. The biggest thing that will help your success is to scout out the area you are going to hunt first to try to determine movement patterns. Make sure that when you are out scouting, even well before hunting season, to descent yourself and your clothing, especially the bottom of your boots with a good descenting product. During deer season, carry a small bottle with you so that you can spray down your stand and touch up yourself (especially your boots) on your way out. Human scent can keep a mature buck out of an area for a long time. A deer's first line of defense is its nose, and you can not totally eliminate your scent so you have to play the wind and the thermals as well. I also like to carry a grunt call with me. Since you can't help but to make noise sometimes getting to your spot, you might as well try to sound more like a deer than a hunter.  ;D

Basically, do your research and pick a good spot, cover your scent, use good ammuntion in a rifle you have practiced with sufficiently, be patient, and you should be eating jerky and summer sausage in no time!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 10:28:57 PM by Jay »

muleshemi

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 10:33:37 PM »
hey great, thanks for the quick response. like I said Ive been around the sport for a while but never dropped a deer myself... looking forward to it though.

1hickey

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 08:53:41 AM »
Welcome to Nebraska Firepower!  I hope you have joined the organization, not just the site!! ;D 8)

I am also a newbie to deer hunting although I have been around hunting and fishing my whole life.  It's a definite experience, even though what I've done could rarely be called "hunting".  I can practically shoot deer from my porch at the farm!  Ditto what Jay has said, and from my experience, find someone to teach you how to clean, skin, and process the deer well.  That has magnified the whole experience for me many times over.  I kinda dumped some cash this year getting into it with some processing equipment for jerky, etc., but it is well worth it.  Maybe we should put up a portion of the forum for members to post personal evaluations of non-firearm hunting equipment and clothing?

You should be very happy with the .270.  The rifle I am using right now is a bit much for whitetails in this part of the country, but I love it.  Weatherby .300 Vanguard magnum.  It gutted the last deer for me.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 01:57:34 PM »
Welcome, mules! There are certainly folks here that can answer any questions you have. I have a .270 that has been killing deer since the 1950's. I have killed deer with it at ranges from 15 feet to way out past Fort Mudge. It will certainly do the job! As far as advice for deer hunting, I have this:

1. Hunt INTO the wind- no amount of scent masking is foolproof. Do what you can, but expect to see more deer upwind.

2. Practice with your rifle in field positions (and getting into field positions quickly). Benchrest shooting is great for establishing that your rifle puts your bullets where you point the rifle, but unless you plan on hunting from your bench, it won't help you put the "bullet in the boiler room".

3. Learn to use a leather military style sling (and use it quickly) to "loop up" and steady yourself in field positions. This makes those "Fort Mudge" shots not only possible, but not all that difficult.

Oh, and one more thing! Handloading makes more sense than ever, what with the price of ammo these days.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

muleshemi

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 05:31:41 PM »
thanks again guys, I think my biggest hurdle will be finding the land to hunt on.....

1hickey...are you the same guy from pioneer4wheelers? must be.... cool

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 05:38:52 PM »
Yeah, acquiring a good spot can be tough if you don't have a connection.

And yes, there are a few of us here that are also on Pioneer's site.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 10:23:27 PM »
Finding land to hunt on is the hardest part, and finding land to hunt on that doesn't cost money AND hasn't been found by 400 others the same day you are hunting it is well nigh impossible. The fact that I enjoy hunting the same dirt I did when I was Eldest's age is only part of the reason I drive 4 1/2 hours several times a year to shoot a couple of deer in November. The relationships I have cultivated over the years with landowners where I hunt are PRICELESS................
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

1hickey

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 01:14:48 PM »
Yep, it's me. ;D