< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Hurt and dissapointed... but very proud. Cabelas open carry.  (Read 10296 times)

Offline ragedefined

• NFOA Full Member
Hurt and dissapointed... but very proud. Cabelas open carry.
« on: January 11, 2014, 04:40:29 PM »
I am a huge open carry supporter.....huge.... so if you don't like open carry go ahead and ignore this  ;).

I was very hurt and disappointed today at cabelas lavista location. Me and two of my brothers who had never open carried before decided they would give it a try with a shotgun and an ak47. Very proud of them for rising above what others think and exercising their rights.

I open carry pretty much every day, beretta. My brothers dawned an ak47 and a shotgun. We were pretty much approached by the gun guys at the front telling us we need to check them in. When we told them we were open carrying today and that we weren't going to unsling or unholster unless need be. We were allowed through. About 30 seconds later one of the gun guys caught up with us and brought an older man who started telling us what we could and could not do by law. He was very misinformed about what he was saying. We asked for upper management and they told us since people were telling employees that we were carrying and since the managers were getting told about It; we then had to leave. I of course told them laws and we went back and forth asking why I can open carry a pistol but not a rifle? I understand people might be concerned but we were acting completely normal. I asked management if they had told their staff that what we were doing was legal, so they could inform the un informed public. disappointed we couldn't open carry today, I will be calling corporate Monday to find out exactly what store policy is. I cry hypocrisy.
open carry outside cabelas event? I will be calling sarpy county to see what the city ordinances are on tailgating on city parking lots. Maybe open carry bbq? ;)

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Hurt and dissapointed... but very proud. Cabelas open carry.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 04:57:45 PM »
don't they have a sign on the door that all firearms must be in a case coming in?
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline ragedefined

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 05:05:37 PM »
Not to my knowledge; but with you saying that. If you are entering cabelas intending to sell a weapon then yes. Pistol rifle whatever.

If you want to open carry at cabelas, pistol, then you just tell the gun guys at the front that your weapon is staying holstered. Sarpy county has no law against open carry, no permit required. So I thought we would try it with a rifle and shotty, didn't go as I had hoped.

If you want to open carry a pistol though, you are good to go openly. No permit, sarpy county. Don't even need a ccw permit.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 06:52:45 PM »
As one of the longer term members of NFOA and having donated significant monies to the NFOA I will encourage my fellow members to NOT support your suggestion (no offense). I FULLY support OC, but IMHO the way you went about it was poor judgment particularly in this business that 1) has STRONGLY supported us and 2) is a business who has a right to set their policies as they see fit.

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 07:18:17 PM »
There is open carry, and there is disturbing the peace carry.    You walking around quietly, and discretely, with a sidearm, is a different set of factors, than two guys walking around with long guns.

What you did, did not do anything to advance carry at any level.   I could go on, but why bother.  My 2 cents, certain body parts do not need displayed in shopping malls, and the same goes for guns.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 07:24:37 PM »
FWIW I am a HUGE proponent of open carry when done properly.
Cabela's DOES have indeed signage saying all guns must be cased, except for concealed carry. THIS is not an open carry issue. Any business can tell you not to open carry in their establishment. You DO NOT have the RIGHT to carry in their store, regardless of Nebraska being an open carry state. It is NOT public property and they can tell you to case them or leave, period. Argue with them and you might be having a very unpleasant conversation with the La Vista PD or SCSO. Clearly you are the one that needs to gain a better understanding of the law. Nothing hurts our cause more than this special kind of stupidity.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 07:32:18 PM by 00BUCK »

Offline barmandr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 07:27:14 PM »
They do have it posted at the doors that all firearms must be cased/checked, but lawfully concealed weapons are allowed.

Offline ragedefined

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 07:39:32 PM »
yes they can obviously tell us to leave, which we did. As far as how we did it, im fine with how I did it. wouldn't change a thing. thanks. Its private property and they can deny us from entry with an open carried weapon. I have open carried my handgun their close to 20 times with no issue. Thought we would try our hand at the publics and staffs response of rifle open carry. didn't go as planned that is all and I can be disappointed about that. Other thing I personally don't care who opposes me or anyone from open carrying a rifle, shotgun, handgun. It is a gun no matter what shape or caliber and if it is legal to carry it then be my guest. the people fear rifles because the media has taught them to. Its not the gun its the people. I really thought id get a different response from you guys.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 07:50:06 PM »
THIS
I asked management if they had told their staff that what we were doing was legal, so they could inform the un informed public
AND THIS
I of course told them laws and we went back and forth asking why I can open carry a pistol but not a rifle?

The law doesn't matter in THEIR building. What you were doing was ANYTHING but legal the split second between them telling you that you were not allowed to do it and you starting to argue with them.

Offline ragedefined

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 08:02:20 PM »
yeah because in those wonderful quotes you pulled I said the words "argued" "yelled" "screamed" "flipped them off" "cursed" "got in their face". Yeah used all those in the quotes there.
you weren't there you wouldn't know. interesting you assume that I was arguing with them about what I can and cannot do. Merely asked why I could open carry a pistol in their establishment and not a rifle.
Funny thing is they actually said they supported me in what I was doing but because of the position they were in at cabelas they had to ask us to leave.
I was asking clarification, that is all.
As far as my "special stupidity" you judge by an unemotional paragraph I quickly typed up using very simple examples and not going into deep specifics. Round of applause for you 00buck.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 08:11:36 PM »
Well don't expect warm and fuzzies from me when reckless actions like this taint the good work that so many do here every day. It starts with not even noticing the signs on the doors "Not to my knowledge", to stating law to them that has zero bearing on the situation, to not thinking about what those actions do to our efforts. I can guarantee that nobody at Cabela's (employee or customer) that witnessed that thinks better of guns or gun owners because of it. And that, sir, is what this organization is about.

Offline ragedefined

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 08:26:07 PM »
I wasn't using law to try and make them let me stay there with the long guns. I was merely asking them why I can carry my pistol but not a rifle in their establishment. THEY LET ME OPEN CARRY MY PISTOL I find it weird they wouldn't allow a rifle if they let me open my carry my pistol.

I apologize that I did not see the precious sign at the front door. I actually go to management and ask them personally. I also call the corporations that create the rules for the stores before I go there.
Open carry pistol is okay, so why wouldn't a rifle? didn't know I had to be specific on what weapon was going to be open carried. I don't want any fuzzy hugs or high fives no worries.
as far who I impacted... i corrected the guy at the front checking guns in to what was and wasn't legal. We also had a guy from nfoa who was at the gun counter telling us, in front of the managers, to keep doing what we were doing. Again you're just a big assumer. ask for specifics next time before thinking that your way is the best, get off your high horse.

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 09:01:56 PM »
Just what were you expecting? Were you purposely setting out to get a reaction? What would make you think that walking around a bunch of people with long guns would impress them? Just how does this negligent type of action help our cause? How does carrying shotguns and semi-automatic guns in a crowded sporting goods store make it look like you are protecting yourself from bad guys?

What you have done is get legal gun owners labeled as gun nuts or crazy people. I  personally don't care for that label and try to avoid it as much as possible.

The members of this forum work tirelessly to fight for our rights in Nebraska, actions like this could take minutes to erase the years of effort they have given. Not that long ago, Cabela's did not allow concealed carry. Who do you think got them to open up that far? I can tell you this, it wasn't a couple guys walking around with long guns.

Offline justsomeguy

• Defender of the Constitution
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 09:11:05 PM »
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." - Marcus Aurelius

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 09:18:59 PM »
The reason why people find open carry of a long arm in an urban or shopping area to be pointless, tasteless and a "poseur" act - in the old French sense of the term - is best summed up the late, great "gunners' guru" Col. Jeff Cooper. Cooper pointed out that a handgun is a defensive weapon; one that you have with you "in case" you get into a fight. A long arm, he said, is an offensive weapon; one that you have with you when "you expect" to be getting into a fight. To carry around a weapon as a prop (presumably no fight was anticipated today at Cabela's - therefore it was a prop) is gaudy and disrespectful of something as wonderful as a fine weapon. This is not a modern, sissified point of view. I grew up in a time when we all had shotguns in our (unlocked) vehicles in the school parking lot because we'd hunt on the way home, and nobody thought anything of it. Shotguns and rifles were just tools of the trade for farmers and ranchers and were in the back of every pickup window in town. But even then, you'd have been a weirdo to walk around the farm store or CO-OP with one over your shoulder.

It's also strategically unsound because, for the many Nebraskans who are concealed carry permit holders, a person coming into an urban retail area with a long arm is exactly what they are looking out for.  Hopefully they are all smart enough to not go into what Cooper called Condition Red, but it would seem to fit his definition of Condition Orange. To quote him directly....

Orange: Specific alert. Something is not quite right and has your attention. Your radar has picked up a specific alert. You shift your primary focus to determine if there is a threat (but you do not drop your six). Your mindset shifts to "I may have to shoot that person today", focusing on the specific target which has caused the escalation in alert status. In Condition Orange, you set a mental trigger: "If that person does "X", I will need to stop them". Your pistol usually remains holstered in this state.

Thus, to intentionally cause people to be in Condition Orange to make some sort of fashion statement is also juvenile.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 09:21:07 PM by feralcatkillr »
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2014, 09:25:18 PM »
Did you happen to see by chance if they had any 22LR in stock when you were there!?
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline Opusnbill7

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2014, 09:37:01 PM »
Well said, Feral and Dave and others.

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2014, 10:10:55 PM »
Did you happen to see by chance if they had any 22LR in stock when you were there!?

A++......

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2014, 10:29:48 PM »
In the end, these individuals attempted to exercise a right they have, and unfortunately have been fully chastised by the very people who fight to do the same thing conceptually.

I applaud them, but also encourage them to find another venue to practice at. 

I am a bit saddened by the responses here as the attitude towards this is not different than the attitude against conceal carry, and even firearms in general.  Once we start saying we can carry one firearm and not another,  you might as well be able to ban a gun based on how it looks (AKA "black" rifles").

Just saying..

Offline RedDot

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2014, 10:32:28 PM »
I wish I had read this post before defending the OC in the Members Thread.  OC with the owner's consent/knowledge should be ok, but the long guns thing was a stunt.  A stunt being defined by me as something stupid a reasonable person would not do to draw attention.  Be thankful the folks at Cabelas didn't offer you the opportunity to spend thousands of dollars presenting your legal arguments in a criminal trespass case with your freedom being the wager.