< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: CHP Validity During Change of Address?  (Read 3090 times)

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
CHP Validity During Change of Address?
« on: January 14, 2014, 09:38:06 AM »
I recently moved and went into the Troop A State Patrol office to update my CHP information. The nice lady helping me took my forms, made copies of my drivers' license and CHP, handed them back to me and told me that it would be around a week to get my new license. I was half expecting her to take possession of my old permit or mark it void like they did my drivers license so I asked her if my permit was still valid since the rules state that it has to have my current name and address. She responded, "Well, I can't really answer that. Obviously, you still have your temporary drivers license so they will know that you just recently moved, but ultimately it will be up to the officers discretion at the time of contact." I thought about this gray area a bit and wondered if this is something that could be a concern for others, maybe something that we could cleared up. I know of course there is always the "take your chances" aspect, but with the new session would it be worth the hassle codifying a term of validity during a move in state? Anybody else have any clarification for when they made a change of address? Am I making too much of this? Utah only requires that I email them my updated info and they plug it into their database and a new card isn't required, but can be obtained if so desired.

From the Nebraska State Patrol website:

Your permit must contain your current name and address to be valid. The form for initial application of a permit can be used to report a change of name or address and request a replacement permit.

Then according to TITLE 272, NEBRASKA ADMINISTRATIVE CODE, CHAPTER 21 of the NSP

014.01 Permit holders who change name or address are required to notify the 
Nebraska State Patrol Concealed Handgun Permit Program in writing within 
thirty (30) days of the change in name or address.

Also, it was also a good sign that when I was in the office there were two separate ladies getting their CHP. Women outnumbered men!
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: CHP Validity During Change of Address?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 09:48:27 AM »
Good question.

I have a question for you, since you just went through this.  When got your temporary drivers license with the updated address did they retain your old license or let you keep it?

Offline AWick

• Steel Benefactor
  • Home is where your armory is.
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 09:58:40 AM »
Good question.

I have a question for you, since you just went through this.  When got your temporary drivers license with the updated address did they retain your old license or let you keep it?

They handed my old drivers license back to me, but they punched out the word "VOID" right through the miniature picture of my mug on the right side of the license. I'm still keeping the voided card in my wallet until my new arrives in the mail to show that the address matches my CHP.
"Well-regulated" meant well equipped, trained and disciplined... not controlled with an iron fist.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 11:43:13 AM »
Your current CHP is still "valid" while awaiting your new one....this is no different then applying for a 5 year renewal....

Offline bigdog

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 07:41:32 PM »
I just went through this two weeks ago with an address change. When I went to the local State Trooper headquarters. I filled out the form and the lady behind the counter took my permit with the old address and said I could not carry until the new one with my current address came in the mail.

She said my new drivers license had to match the permit.
bigdog

Offline TCharlesAII

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 09:54:39 PM »
I just moved as well and they handed my permit back to me and said it was fine..  I thought the law stated I had to surrender the permit and not be able to carry so I was a little surprised.  This was in Lincoln.

Offline bigdog

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 10:29:46 PM »
I just moved as well and they handed my permit back to me and said it was fine..  I thought the law stated I had to surrender the permit and not be able to carry so I was a little surprised.  This was in Lincoln.

I did my change of address paper work in Norfolk. My understanding is the old permit goes with the paper work.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 10:32:15 PM by bigdog »
bigdog

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 11:59:23 AM »
Your current CHP is still "valid" while awaiting your new one....this is no different then applying for a 5 year renewal....

« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 12:49:15 PM by bullit »

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 12:08:19 PM »
When I moved almost a year ago the trooper station in Omaha (after handing me back the old address permit) told me that I could not carry until I was in possession of my updated CHP. According to the law it must match the address on our driver's license to be valid.

I think a bill in the unicameral to fix this issue would be appropriate since this crap disarms you for a whole week. Some other states don't even penalize you if you are not carrying your permit with you when carrying. If we are already in the system as permit holders I don't see a need for us to have to carry them around if they can just look us up in the system.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 03:54:09 AM »
Old thread, but relating recent change of address experience.

I've been running around doing change of address stuff still.  On 03/20/2014, I hit a bank, Sarpy DMV to update drivers license (and received paper temporary copy ... with a horrible picture heh), and then Troop A on 108th & I in Omaha for concealed carry address change.

Fill out the same one page front and back form, do NOT have to get it notarized, etc.

They handed me back my existing CCW and said new one would be in the mail.  No concerns about carrying with non-matching permit.  They were also fine with accepting the paper temp drivers license copy.

No new finger printing, no fee (unlike driver's license which cost $13.50).

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline JCL

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 08:55:52 AM »
Old thread, but relating recent change of address experience.

I've been running around doing change of address stuff still.  On 03/20/2014, I hit a bank, Sarpy DMV to update drivers license (and received paper temporary copy ... with a horrible picture heh), and then Troop A on 108th & I in Omaha for concealed carry address change.

Fill out the same one page front and back form, do NOT have to get it notarized, etc.

They handed me back my existing CCW and said new one would be in the mail.  No concerns about carrying with non-matching permit.  They were also fine with accepting the paper temp drivers license copy.

No new finger printing, no fee (unlike driver's license which cost $13.50).

This was my experience as well a few months ago. The only downside was that I was hoping it would also act as a renewal for mine as I'm getting close but not within the 6 month window yet. No such luck.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 11:59:20 AM »
but not within the 6 month window yet

It's actually 4 months prior to expiration..... 

011 RENEWAL OF PERMITS

011.01 Permit holders may renew a permit to carry a concealed handgun within the
four (4) months prior to expiration of the initial permit at any Nebraska State
Patrol Troop Headquarters or office provided by the patrol for purposes of
accepting such applications.

Offline newfalguy101

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 02:00:30 PM »
I believe your CHP has your drivers license number on it, your drivers license number ( in Nebraska anyway) never changes, its the same from day one till done, soooooooo by extension, the info in the computer will match even if your papers don't...........shouldn't be an issue

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 03:36:27 PM »
Caution should always go towards the side of law.  The law states, rather un-crystal clear two things, one, you must have a CHP license with your current address on it.  It also says you must inform the SP within 30 days of moving. 

Few people move unexpectedly.  Set your ducks up in a row, so your new CHP with current address, arrives at your new digs when you expect to. 

None of us carry 24/7 all the time, so if you have a break in carry, for a week, that is better than running afoul of the letter of the law.  My advice is, if you moved, and your old address is on your papers, straighten that out before carrying concealed again. 

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 06:09:27 PM »
Gary please reference your comment.... "You must have a CHP license with your current address on it".

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2014, 07:21:22 PM »
Your permit must contain your current name and address to be valid.

014 CHANGE OF NAME OR ADDRESS OF PERMIT HOLDER
014.01 Permit holders who change name or address are required to notify the Nebraska State Patrol Concealed Handgun Permit Program in writing within thirty (30) days of the change in name or address.
014.02 A permit holder may obtain a replacement permit by returning the current permit to the Nebraska State Patrol Concealed Handgun Permit Program and submitting a written request for a replacement permit. If the applicant still meets the requirements for a permit, the Nebraska State Patrol shall issue a replacement permit within five (5) working days of receiving the request. The replacement permit shall have the same expiration date as the initial or renewed permit.
014.03 A permit holder may request to pick up the replacement permit in person or have it mailed.

This does not address the issue of carrying concealed while waiting for new CHP with current address.  If someone in the Omaha or Hastings office of the SP says do not carry, I'll go with that.

I would rather error on the cautious, and not possibly violate a statute, or cause an officer concern by my documents having different addresses.

In the next paragraph it states"

015 LOST, STOLEN OR DAMAGED PERMITS
015.01 A permit holder whose permit is lost, stolen, or damaged shall notify the Nebraska State Patrol in writing within ten (10) days of determining that the permit is lost, stolen, or damaged. When notified of a lost, stolen, or damaged permit, the Nebraska State Patrol shall cancel the permit. The permit holder shall not carry a concealed handgun until the Nebraska State Patrol issues a replacement.

In this paragraph, it says the SP will cancel the CHP, and you are not to carry concealed until the permit is reissued.  This additional language would seem to imply, a permit is good, unless it has been canceled.

In the case of moving, it is not canceled, it is replaced.  Still, I am not going to go concealed carry, with a miss-match of addresses, strewn across the documents in my vehicle.  My DL, CHP, insurance cards, registration, all are going to have the same address on them.   

Interesting topic of discussion.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 07:47:54 PM by Gary »

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2014, 07:47:17 PM »
I just went through this two weeks ago with an address change. When I went to the local State Trooper headquarters. I filled out the form and the lady behind the counter took my permit with the old address and said I could not carry until the new one with my current address came in the mail.

She said my new drivers license had to match the permit.

Not saying the lady working the counter,  quoted the statutes correctly, (maybe she did?) but going armed, is a big responsibility, and I would think, anyone wishing to do so, would be prudent, having all documents up to date, and everything current. 

Offline Gary

• NFOA Full Member
    • Guns 2 Roses
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2014, 07:59:51 PM »
I find it hard to believe, the NSP would reissue a CHP for an address change, at no cost.  When was the last time you saw a bureaucracy do something like this, at no cost?    What is a photocopy of an accident report, $10 a page or something like that?

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2014, 08:30:35 PM »
014 CHANGE OF NAME OR ADDRESS OF PERMIT HOLDER
014.01 Permit holders who change name or address are required to notify the Nebraska State Patrol Concealed Handgun Permit Program in writing within thirty (30) days of the change in name or address.
014.02 A permit holder may obtain a replacement permit by returning the current permit to the Nebraska State Patrol Concealed Handgun Permit Program and submitting a written request for a replacement permit. If the applicant still meets the requirements for a permit, the Nebraska State Patrol shall issue a replacement permit within five (5) working days of receiving the request. The replacement permit shall have the same expiration date as the initial or renewed permit.
014.03 A permit holder may request to pick up the replacement permit in person or have it mailed.

This does not address the issue of carrying concealed while waiting for new CHP with current address.  If someone in the Omaha or Hastings office of the SP says do not carry, I'll go with that.

I would rather error on the cautious, and not possibly violate a statute, or cause an officer concern by my documents having different addresses. "

And that is your prerogative, but also your opinion.....just wanted to make sure that is mentioned here so as readers are not misinformed.   It is NOT  a part of the CHP statutes.....

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2014, 08:57:53 PM »
Here is a quote from the NSP website FAQ's

Do I have to report a change of name or address after I get a permit?     

Yes. Your permit must contain your current name and address to be valid. The form for initial application of a permit can be used to report a change of name or address and request a replacement permit.

Note the use of the word "valid"

I don't really see the source language for this in the rules and regs, but the NSP must believe it is a requirement to have your current address on the permit for it to be considered valid.

In that case then technically one would be in violation of the law if carrying a concealed handgun with an invalid permit (incorrect address)
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.