< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Taurus 24/7  (Read 3014 times)

Offline Slashhavoc

• Forum Member
Taurus 24/7
« on: August 24, 2009, 04:53:48 PM »
Anyone own one of these guns?  I did a little research and seen they had decent reviews.  I liked the fit better than my glock, and this is much cheaper than another glock...

Any thoughts?

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
Re: Taurus 24/7
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 11:57:03 PM »
Trigger feel! Big negative.
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 08:28:55 PM »
I had one.  It felt great, but it started giving me light strikes on all types of ammo.  Taurus has some of the worst warranty service so I sold it and bought a CZ (which I should have bought in the first place). 

If you haven't done so already, lay your hands on a CZ. 
NRA Life Member.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 02:27:24 PM »
I wholeheartedly agree with Rich.  You may spend a bit more on a CZ75 type handgun, but they are definitely worth it.

http://cz-usa.com/products/by-category/handguns/

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 07:45:45 PM »
I should mention that if cost is your motivation, look into a police trade-in.  Glocks, Berettas, and S&Ws are all over the place and generally run $300-$400.  Check Bud's Gun Shop and Summit Gun Broker online. 
NRA Life Member.

Offline Slashhavoc

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 10:46:31 AM »
Thanks for the heads up...  I decided to pass.   I did pick up the new S&W M&P AR-15 .22  this weekend instead.  It was well worth the wait!!! ;D ;D

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 12:09:37 PM »
Is this the same gun as the Colt M4 22? I know colts are made in germany, I wonder if this is the same gun with a different badge. Price has dropped considerably on the colt since it was introduced.

Next, give us a quick range report.
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.

Offline Slashhavoc

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 08:43:53 PM »
I haven't shot the Umarex Colt version.  However, I still like to think I had the better of the two.  $200 less.  More functional.  Made by S&W.  Not made by Walther and imported by Umarex and branded by Colt.  I have cycled about 300 rounds since purchase.  No FTF or FTE.  I am happy!  Feels Solid and was accurate.  I look forward to many years of plinking just like my Nylon .22.  Hooah! :P

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 08:43:29 AM »
I haven't had much Taurus experience but I am a big fan of 1911 style pistols... Taurus of course has a pretty big offering of 1911s and originally I was very interested in them. However, a lot of bad reviews I read and a lot of people spoke out against Taurus saying that you *might* get a good one but you have a much bigger chance of getting a bad one with Taurus than the other manufacturers. Now, the 24/7 is a totally different gun but the same company.

Either way, I hope you get an excellent reliable firearm. Just passing on some things I heard. (Also, no personal experience with it so you should take my post with a grain of salt, for sure.)

Offline Josjor

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 08:24:15 AM »
I've got the 24/7 OSS in .45 and have fed nearly 1000 rounds through it with no problems whatsoever.  It is a LARGE pistol and a tricky one to CCW, but I really bought it as a side kick when I go hog hunting and as a fun pistol to shoot at the range.  Your mileage may vary, but I'm extremely pleased with mine.

Offline George

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 09:59:58 AM »
Just a note to dampen the Taurus Bashing.....I have a Taurus 1911 and you will not find a better trigger on any gun.........The feel is great and very acurate...
I heard the same bashing before I bought mine.....A friend mine had one and I shot it.....Taurus has many up grades standard that you woud pay extra for on other guns.  Talking to my gunsmith, he said Taurus is going to give the big boys some stiff competition.....also their warrantee is the best in the business.....Don't go on hear say......check em out.....
Endowment Life NRA member

Offline lefty

• Powder Benefactor
  • KC0DA, NRA, USAF 57-61
Re: Taurus 1911
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 04:26:33 PM »
I have a Taurus 1911 and I love it.  Sweetest shooting auto I have.  Haven't had a single hitch with it in 5 years and that is when the bashers said they were building pistols.  Try em, you'll like em. 

Offline Poor Man

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 07:14:11 PM »
Check my message in worst guns Slashavoc.
                 Poor Man
Most folks who get lost in thought are
stumbling around in unfamiliar territory

Law is not necessarily Justice: nor is Justice necessarily Legal

NRA Life Member; CCRKBA Life Member;Charter Member - Second Amendment Task Force. Member of Gun Owners of America. and, National
Ass'n for Gun Right

Offline marksz71

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 09:49:28 AM »
Taurus certainly has a good market for affordable firearms that are reliable and accurate; however, it is not a Kimber, Springfield, Smith, etc....  I have three Taurus pistols, which are used for CCW.  PT138 (wife's), PT111, and PT145.  They are have 500 to 1000 through them, and I couldn't be more pleased considering what I paid for them.  I love the feel, and they are relatively easy to conceal using an appropriate  holster.  With the number of rounds through them; there has been only a couple malfuntions, which we mainly due to a lack of cleaning at the time...once cleaned, it functioned flawlessly again.  I told one of my customers when he was asking me to compare the Taurus to Kimber (apples and oranges), that the Taurus is not the type of firearm you hand down to your grandkids, however, Kimber is an heirloom.  The amount of time and effort that goes into the quality build of a Kimber (and those like it), does not go into the Taurus line as they are mass produced using cheap labor.  As I said in the beginning, they are great pistols, will work hard for you, and will serve you well.  However, they are designed to fit in a certain budget range, for those who may not have the cash to buy a Kimber.  I do carry the Taurus, and I do trust it to protect myself and my family.  I have no worries there.... 

Offline Eric

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2010, 12:15:48 AM »
I bought a 9mm 24/7 Pro which I gave to my brother for home defense.  He isn't much of a shooter, and this is better than nothing.  We both liked the ability to lock the firearm to keep it away from the kids, etc.  It is easy to shoot and reasonably accurate.  It is comparable in size and styling to the Glock 34, but I prefer Glocks.  I also owned a .40 S&W 24/7 OSS which I liked, but eventually sold to a friend who is a big fan of .40s and liked this gun. 
As stated before the triggers on the 24/7 series are not great, but if you're not spoiled by a 3lb trigger on a 1911, then it's just fine for you.  They are reasonably accurate, they always seem to go boom, and I had NO FTFs or FTEs even when trying to make both guns fail.  I loaded the 9mm with different types of ammo in the same mag, heavy subsonic to 125+p to dirty 115 ball, Gold Dots, etc.  I could not make it fail even while purposely limp wristing.  Kept on ticking after about 400 rounds with no cleaning and trying to make it fail.  That counts for something significant when you expect this device to work when you need it.