< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Remington 870 vs Mossberg 500/590  (Read 5897 times)

Offline tcon1834

• Forum Member
Remington 870 vs Mossberg 500/590
« on: January 18, 2014, 01:50:53 PM »
This forum seemed a little short on activity so I figured I'd add a topic.

I was trained on the 870 platform nearly 9 years ago in the police academy. I had a 590 special purpose 9 shot that I bought over 10 year ago.  I rarely fired the 590.  I only kept it in the safe for HD.  Last year I purchased a new 870 Tactical.  I added the Magpul goodies...stock, forend and sling adapters.  After firing the 870 and 590 back to back I preferred the 870.  Maybe it just felt more familiar.  I'm not sure. I sold the 590 to a good friend of mine.

I found this video on YouTube today and thought it was pretty informative for anyone new to shotguns.  I'm possibly back in the market for a HD shotgun in 20 gauge or .410 for my gf. As much as I like my 870 I think she might be better off in a 500.  Each has their pros and cons.  What are your thoughts?

Offline newfalguy101

• Forum Member
Re: Remington 870 vs Mossberg 500/590
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 02:00:24 PM »
without even viewing the video.   Its well established that the 870 is the pump shotgun that all others are compared to.............that should tell you something about the 870

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 02:08:48 PM »
A lot of it depends on the individual running the firearm. I am familiar with both. The 870 is a prevalent choice with regards to the civilian population. The 500 breed is the military choice. Personally, I don't care for the safety placement in the 500, but I am traditionalist when it comes to that. I want it next to the trigger group.

Have her put hands on both and find which one she likes most, and feels right for her.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline tcon1834

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 02:17:53 PM »
If anyone was wondering, unfortunately,she won't touch the 12 gauge.  Apparently she has fired 12 gauge in the past and didn't like the recoil.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 02:41:29 PM »
i was gonna suggest letting her shoot a Serbu Super Shorty.  now that has recoil.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline webtrekker

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 03:02:43 PM »
I have a Mossy500 and a 870, both in 20Gauge for my kids.  I bought the 870 first and a few of my smaller kids didn't care for it, so I purchased the 500 with the intent on selling the 870.  Then... it became apparent that half my kids preferred the 500 over the 870 and vise versa... so I'm keeping them both.  The 500 has more kick, but is shorter so the smaller kids can maneuver it easier, the 870 is much longer and therefore has less kick, but my oldest daughter (15) really likes it better.
So.... moral of the story ... it depends on the shooter.   Both guns have worked w/o flaw and I'm happy to have both in the inventory.
Hope this helps...
Cheers

Offline jFader

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 05:36:06 PM »
Hard to go wrong...I just purchased a 870 tactical for h.d...mostly based on 'how it felt' & its reputation. I also looked at a tactical Winchester that felt pretty good but I didn't know anyone personally who had one, so I passed...

I think its funny how I can spend $350 on a gun & somehow find over $700 in accessories that I want for it.
The 2nd Amendment is not open for debate!

NRA Member
SAF Life Member
Proud NFOA Member

Offline tcon1834

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 05:52:46 PM »
i was gonna suggest letting her shoot a Serbu Super Shorty.  now that has recoil.

I would love to try one of those.  A Kel Tec KSG is also on my list.  Maybe we need to organize a NFOA show and shoot day so we can all try different weapons we would never normally get the chance to.  :)

I have a Mossy500 and a 870, both in 20Gauge for my kids.  I bought the 870 first and a few of my smaller kids didn't care for it, so I purchased the 500 with the intent on selling the 870.  Then... it became apparent that half my kids preferred the 500 over the 870 and vise versa... so I'm keeping them both.  The 500 has more kick, but is shorter so the smaller kids can maneuver it easier, the 870 is much longer and therefore has less kick, but my oldest daughter (15) really likes it better.
So.... moral of the story ... it depends on the shooter.   Both guns have worked w/o flaw and I'm happy to have both in the inventory.
Hope this helps...
Cheers

This is great info.  Are both of those models (870 & 500) the "kids" versions?

Offline tcon1834

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 05:55:13 PM »
Hard to go wrong...I just purchased a 870 tactical for h.d...mostly based on 'how it felt' & its reputation. I also looked at a tactical Winchester that felt pretty good but I didn't know anyone personally who had one, so I passed...

I think its funny how I can spend $350 on a gun & somehow find over $700 in accessories that I want for it.

So true.  I briefly had a red dot on my 870 Tactical, but found I prefer the ghost rings.  I've become a bit of a bead sight snob even though I know they are quite effective. 

There seems to be a lot less options/accessories for the 20 gauge versions though.  Maybe that's a good thing so I spend less money.   ;D
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 05:57:53 PM by tcon1834 »

Offline tcon1834

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 06:07:18 PM »
Here's the versions I've been looking at.

http://www.mossberg.com/search/node/20

I think I would be most interested in models # 54300 and 54301

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/41038

Remington's website isn't working all that well for me at the moment, so I posted up a link to buds.  Hopefully that isn't a problem since I know they're probably not a vendor here.  I haven't been able to find an 870 version with ghost ring sights and/or adjustable stock.  Not that I truly need either of those features.

I'd prefer to buy local anyways.  Can someone point me in the right direction to find any of these in the Omaha/Lincoln.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 06:49:55 PM »
A lot of it depends on the individual running the firearm. I am familiar with both. The 870 is a prevalent choice with regards to the civilian population. The 500 breed is the military choice. Personally, I don't care for the safety placement in the 500, but I am traditionalist when it comes to that. I want it next to the trigger group.

Have her put hands on both and find which one she likes most, and feels right for her.
GSD- The Maverick 88 is Mossy's entry level (yet made in the USA)  economy (sub $200) version of the 500. What is different? not much really.  Cheaper bluing, (Doesn't matter cause ya'll gonna paint it anyway) Cheaper synthetic stock (But ya'll gonna put a $200 stock on it anyway), nice ribbed barrel (but of course, ya'll gonna wack that off, or replace it with a 18.5 tactical version). But the Safety is on the trigger group like the Remmy.

Which do I prefer. Yes- Both. I have a Remmy 870 and Maverick 88 and two youth 500s. I'd trust my life with any of them .  (Although I tend to lean toward the 88, because? Well EVERYBODY has a 870 and I like being a maverick. ;) 
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 06:59:55 PM »
This debate always makes me wonder why everyone is worried which one is second best. Winchester speed pump 1200/1300 is the best, hands down. Downfall is they quit making them, though many can be had at reasonable prices. I have been looking at the SXP version that they are making now. Probably going to have to get one of those too.

For the record, I have a Mossberg 20 gauge for the daughters but no 870 right now. They don't fit me right. If I found one for the right price, I'd buy it because they are proven and I hate Mossbergs. I don't see how that tang safety works very well with pistol grips.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 07:08:19 PM »

For the record, I have a Mossberg 20 gauge for the daughters but no 870 right now. They don't fit me right. If I found one for the right price, I'd buy it because they are proven and I hate Mossbergs. I don't see how that tang safety works very well with pistol grips.
Because these shotguns were designed as field guns, not riot guns.
The 870s and 500s are the "standard" when it comes to pump guns, because of their extensive history in the field hunting birds, on the battlefield, urban warfare, home defense, and because of all the accessories available for them.  AND they are still being made......
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Poor Man

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 07:23:12 PM »
Good video.  One moot point.  The ejecter in the 870 is rivited in, not welded. However, to replace it requires special tools so it's still go to a smith.
Most folks who get lost in thought are
stumbling around in unfamiliar territory

Law is not necessarily Justice: nor is Justice necessarily Legal

NRA Life Member; CCRKBA Life Member;Charter Member - Second Amendment Task Force. Member of Gun Owners of America. and, National
Ass'n for Gun Right

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 07:46:31 PM »
Never had a Mossberg but I LOVE my 870.  I know a lot of people think the tang safety is better then the trigger guard safety.  But I had an old double barrel with a tang safety and every time I fired it the recoil would shift the safety from FIRE to SAFE.

I know it was just age and could probably be replaced, fixed, shimmed or something but it seems to me it would never happen with the trigger guard safety.

I grew up using the trigger guard safety so it is natural for me anyway.

Other than that, I think it is just a matter of what you can get for what price and personal preference.

Quality seems to be about the same.

The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2014, 07:55:50 PM »
I had a pistol grip only mossy persuader (500a) before the burglary.  Fine shotgun IMHO.  Saw no points of failure or jamming etc.

Recoil in a pistol grip scares most folks.  And if you put 3" magnum shells in it - you better have a knoxx stock on it or your hand will loathe you for a week.

Mossy 500's and 870's are both fine IMHO.  To me, it's like discussing glock vs xd.  Both fine choices.

That said, I will say that there are for more local sources of 870 parts/mods than there are 500.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline Necede

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2014, 09:52:56 PM »
  They are both great shotguns. I have an 870 I use on birds and a military version 590 I would use at home. The 590 is parkerized with a ghost ring. It even has bayonet lugs if I want to get a little crazy.
  I personally like the tang safety. When the tube is on target I don't have to move my trigger finger I just click it off with my thumb.
  To each his own.
A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.         Sigmund Freud